Audi A3 8P PD??

frosty984

Wrench Pro
Car
Yaris 1.0 VVT-i
I'm about to buy a new car, it will be a diesel with not over 85kW. I thought about Audi A3 1.9 TDi 105 hp PD. Are these PD engines good? Also i was thinking about Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD, Toyota Corrola 2.0 D4D, BMW 318D E46? Any advice would be apreciated :bigsmile:

The 1.9 PD's are great solid engines, better than the early 2.0 ones. Why not look at the Golf and Leon as well, you get a lot of car for your money.

Alfas can be quite expensive when they go wrong, not sure if parts are cheap in Croatia for you.

The BMW will be a great car to drive, just impractical in the wet or on snow and ice but I think I could live with that.

Don't forget a remapped Diesel usually gives more economy as well as a power hike.

I don't like Golfs, i don't say that they are not good cars and all that but i just don't like them :???: Leon would be a good choice, also I've seen a guy taking from a 1.9 TDi Toledo from stock 150 hp to a enormous 290 hp and 536 nM of torque without smoke :blink:
Most of those i like the Audi but its hell expensive :cheesy: and i fansy the BMW beacuse of the sideways :amuse: also audi 1.9 tdi gives a good remap to 160 hp and 360 nm

The Audi will keep it's value quite well, so although it costs more to buy you'll lose less money on it in depreciation.

I'm after an A3 2.0TDi myself at the moment 2006-2009. The 170 with s-tronic paddle shift gears would suit me really well. I just have to find the right one though!

Anything over 140 hp will feel pretty lively on the A3 body.

Be wary of the BMW if you want remain mobile in ice and snow, Waynne reckons he he could live with it Ha Ha !! (Come round 'ere next Winter Waynne and try my 5 series)

They are monumentally useless in ice and snow. Perfectly safe though because you'll struggle to get the thing out of your drive.

Set aside £500 for Winter tyres if you go for the 3 series. You'll need them.

I can live with the fact I won't be able to use the car for 2 months of the year.

Next time it snows I'll be up for some drift action in your beemer then.

I was thinking about some modifications besides remapping, performance modifications like hp and torque. Does fitting a bigger turbocharger and of course larger nozzels necesariliy mean putting new low compression pistons or any other type of mod to compensate a new turbo?

I don't like Golfs, i don't say that they are not good cars and all that but i just don't like them :???: Leon would be a good choice, also I've seen a guy taking from a 1.9 TDi Toledo from stock 150 hp to a enormous 290 hp and 536 nM of torque without smoke :blink:
Most of those i like the Audi but its hell expensive :cheesy: and i fansy the BMW beacuse of the sideways :amuse: also audi 1.9 tdi gives a good remap to 160 hp and 360 nm

thats going to be one strong map on it to get 160, 130 is more like it.
rather than the 105 versions look at the 130s. bigger turbo, injectors etc as standerd over the 105 and a remap will take it to around 170without any issues

130 is not an option, only to 85 kW are considered. What if I would change the injectors and maybe possibly change the turbo would it require any other bigger mechanical changes?

the 85 is the 110hp so its a pd engine. you might get away with swapping parts out - the turbo would defenitly need changed.

why is the 130 (96kw) engine not an option?

Because in my country there's a stupid law that you cant drive anything over 85 kW if you are not 24 years old, you get a ticket if police catches you

I dunno - when you look at the messes some young drivers get into with even modestly powered cars.

It's not like he's restricted to 50bhp or something silly. Plus the 110bhp VW engine is worth 180lbft or thereabouts it's not going to be unbearable to drive.

^^Mmmm you probably right, just thinking to when I was still a wee lad, I'd probably been killed or have killed someone if I started of with a powerful car, I forget sometimes how stupid we are still when we young.

^^Mmmm you probably right, just thinking to when I was still a wee lad, I'd probably been killed or have killed someone if I started of with a powerful car, I forget sometimes how stupid we are still when we young.

We've all been there mate haven't we just.

I suppose the other side of the coin is that it's eminently possible to drive a low powered car too fast. Or just dangerously anyway without going fast.

Indeed it is..... i have loads of opinions about this but i'll save it for another thread....

id go for the alfa as they are different and really good to drive, the jtd's are actually reliable, 156s suffer with squeeky wishbone bushes though, even after replacement they the just sweek all the time.... just buy one with a well documented service history and i reckon you cant go wrong..... to be fair i would think that cars are only as reliable as far as they are maintained......for example would an audi with a no service history be more reliable than an alfa with a full service history? probably not.....point is that everyone tells me that Peugeots are unreliable, yet ive had 2 of them and theyve never let me down, probably to do with the fact that they were very well looked after, id say really its down to the owner, a guy who buys a peugeot is more likely to neglect it than a guy who buys an audi or vw... different kind of person.....

i hope all that makes sence....actually i suspectit doesnt....