intake mods

ddub91

Car
Audi TT
i read that doing a smoother airbox and panel filter are better than an intake kit. anyone else have any ideas?
if that IS a better upgrade, where do i go to find the air box?

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

I would not say that it was better but merely a cheaper alternative to an induction kit. As for "where do i go to find the air box"? it is already fitted in your car. You smooth out the inside of the air box by removing any unnecessary plastic vanes and deflector shields, also, you make the intake hole at the bottom or to the side (depending upon design) of the filter box larger to accept more air - note: this may well involve having to replace the air supply ducting with a larger diameter version.

the best intakes are located outside the engine room on my 01 TT 225Q dual sidemount coolers prevent this. an easy upgrade is gutting the maf, no screens, no problem. did this on my 01 jetta turbo also similar 01 audi TT turbo both 1.8L

Im not sure you will see any real benefit on a stockish engine but the more the car is tuned the more a decent induction helps.

On high power turbo engines for example decent induction is iimportant.
By decent I mean enough air at the right temperature (as cold as poss)and as long as you can manage both induction inside the engine bay is fine

BTW - Not sure what gutting the maf means - if the ecu needs the readings I wouldnt want to just bin the maf

bu gutting, i mean removing the restrictive screens inside them, not sure if naturally aspirated cars have them as the finer screen i believe is to protect the turbo from foreign objects the other is a grate looking item said to be an air straightner, removed them both on both 1.8 turbo'd VAG cars. old autospeed.com article explains how restrictive they are!

The screens are there for a reason .

But it isnt to stop bits being blown into the turbo thats the filters job .

And it cetainly isnt to straighten the air either .

They are actually to stop damage to the MAf sensors which are extremely sensitive and give false readings when they get any dirt on them . Removing them is a mistake .

BTW. JUST BECAUSE THE INTERWEBBY SAYS SO DOESNT MAKE IT FACT

i traded that mistake at almost 200,000 miles and made the same mistake, as you put it, to my lo mile TT. been draggin my feet as i got a 3" downpipe with hi-flo cat to install, that was so easy on my 01 jetta but dropping the subframe intimidates me!!

bu gutting, i mean removing the restrictive screens inside them, not sure if naturally aspirated cars have them as the finer screen i believe is to protect the turbo from foreign objects the other is a grate looking item said to be an air straightner, removed them both on both 1.8 turbo'd VAG cars. old autospeed.com article explains how restrictive they are!
BTW, "gutting the MAF" as you put it, can only mean one thing & that is to get rid of it. It can't mean "removing the restrictive screens". Wait, maybe it can. Why not use simple straightforward English so as to not confuse everyone who reads the forum & which can lead to unnecessary arguments. Keep it simple & just say, "Removing the screens inside the MAF." No confusion & questions will follow. FTW!

The screens are there for a reason .

But it isnt to stop bits being blown into the turbo thats the filters job .

And it cetainly isnt to straighten the air either .

They are actually to stop damage to the MAf sensors which are extremely sensitive and give false readings when they get any dirt on them . Removing them is a mistake .

BTW. JUST BECAUSE THE INTERWEBBY SAYS SO DOESNT MAKE IT FACT
Agree with you totally on this one. Those things are there for a reason & could cause issues later on.