looking for a decent tool set

As with most thing if you want serious stuff it costs serious money but T9s sugestion isnt at all bad

The cheap sets are nowhere near snap on quality (surprise surprise) but they do sell some tools with a lifetime guarantee and have a really good returns policy

I bought a set of nine hinged ratchet ring spanners for £39.99 .with a lifetime guarantee

I do use them a lot and two have broken in eighteen months but I just take them back.
I wasnt even asked for a receipt when I pointed out that they had halfords and lifetime guarantee stamped on them

Even B&Q do quality tools :) Just make sure, as mentioned above, that they have a lifetime guarentee (most well known makes do)

Be aware, however, that this will only be the start of your tool collection if you plan to play with cars long term :)

Also look for an empty tool box so you can start filling it up with the tools missing from the full one.

Last edited:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tool-kits/7348889/

I bought a few of these for the lads in the workshop for machine building, decent quality and surprising considering the price. I bought one as spare set. The machine mart ones are not that good tbh, we give them away with our machines as a sweetener for the foreign workers, stops them stealing the commisioning engineers tools!

Buy decent and they will last you, nothing worse than buying cheap many times.

Well yes and no :blink: I recently had a puncture and you would not believe the faffing about involved in trying to get the beast up into the air.
Two KwikFits failed miserably as the trolley jacks they had were not low enough to get underneath the car with the carbon fiber sills, they also did not have any portable ramps so that the car could be driven up it just enough to slide the trolley jack underneath.

An independent tyre man had this uber sexy low profile trolley jack made by Blupoint which comes under the Snap-on banner. It went straight underneath with no effort and a small block gizmo which apparently it comes with , saw my baby raised into the air :cool:

So the moral of this story is; if you plan to lower the car at some point, be prepared with the right equipment from the word go.

Also two small plastic ramps would be an added bonus while your wallet is open.

I've found you can't really go wrong with most of the Halford's Professional stuff tbh especially with the lifetime guarantee. Is Snap On worth the money if you're not a professional mechanic? No.

I bought a "proper" professional trolley car a few years ago .

Close to the best money I have ever spent on tools (and it wasnt cheap)

If you want the answer to
"what about trolley jacks am i right in thinking there pretty much all the same?" pop round and use this one.

It goes under the stagea which is a feat in itself and the "pole" can be extended so it can get right under any car and has a couple of different lifting heads
So far it has lifted up everything with ease and has about a foot of lift .
The only drawback is that it is very heavy (I struggle to pick it up and put it in a car)

so yes you do get what you pay for

Have a look on the Halfords website first Andy, they currently have a sale on and they also have some web only deals on which should save you some more money compared to the instore prices.

Blimey T9, that is a big responsibility. Do you give any warranty in case it turns out to be rubbish? :)

cheers t9 ive gone for the 1 you suggested first and it will be delivered for free cant say fairer than that

Your welcome and I am looking forward to the future updates on your project with your new tools.

Blimey T9, that is a big responsibility. Do you give any warranty in case it turns out to be rubbish? :)

My shoulders are broad OG, there's nothing to fear with Halfords gear as the saying goes ;)

I agree . I think that on the whole they get a bad press . They have always changed everything that I have ever returned.

You can get a trade account as well which makes a lot of the tools and batteries cheaper still