winter tyres

RichiesTrucking

Torque Junkie
Car
VR4 legnum
the use of these is causing some hot debate on CVR4 so i would like to know how the insurance industry sees them. obviously they would look more favourably on a car fitted with winter tyres in winter but are they significant enough to inform an insurance company of when they are fitted/removed?

I dunno. It would cost me 4 or 5 hundred quid to get a set of winter tyres and rims and when all I do is toddle 6 miles to work on main roads I don't think it's worth it.

the use of these is causing some hot debate on CVR4 so i would like to know how the insurance industry sees them. obviously they would look more favourably on a car fitted with winter tyres in winter but are they significant enough to inform an insurance company of when they are fitted/removed?

There is no norm unfortunately, views on winter tyres specifically will differ between insurers, I'd advise always letting your insurer know but if you are charged then I'd be very surprised. In our view, tyres fitted to the existing alloy wheels is not a modification but fitting a different set of wheels with tyres is.

Always best to check with your own insurers.

Ollie, im putting winter tyres on my car this week

done!:lol:

im curious as to whether this kind of thing is taken into consideration at renewal time. NCB and claims are very academic so surely the changes done to the car and the order in which they are done is relevant to assessing the risks? for example, (for illustrative purposes, all other details are identical) driver A upgrades brakes and handling before power and fits winter tyres. driver B increases power before brakes and handling and doesnt bother with winter tyres. is one regarded as higher risk than the other?

Ollie, im putting winter tyres on my car this week

done!:lol:

No problem, drop me a PM and I'll update our records.

im curious as to whether this kind of thing is taken into consideration at renewal time. NCB and claims are very academic so surely the changes done to the car and the order in which they are done is relevant to assessing the risks? for example, (for illustrative purposes, all other details are identical) driver A upgrades brakes and handling before power and fits winter tyres. driver B increases power before brakes and handling and doesnt bother with winter tyres. is one regarded as higher risk than the other?

I wish it was as black and white as that, it isn't, unfortunately. Some insurers will look at the bigger picture, eg we wouldn't touch an engine swapped car unless it had suspension and braking upgrades usually. Bare in mind (most) insurers only rely on computer driven quotation engines.

I would disagree about NCB and claims being academic though.

all i mean about NCB is that it shows how many years without any indication of why ie luck or skill. i wanted a quote on an EVO 6 when i was 29 and was told to wait a few years because they prefer people with more experience. i pointed out that i cover between 50,000 and 100,000 miles a year which in reality makes me far more experienced than someone who covers 5,000 miles a year. the insurance industries definition of 'experienced' is incorrect.

i will call you when they are fitted;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back