Fake parking penalty charge notice doing the rounds

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just had the following emailed to me!

There is a handy payment link at the bottom so I won't have the bailiff's coming round to clamp my car!

DO THEY THINK WE ARE STUPID! WILL PEOPLE REALLY FALL FOR THIS?

I suspect the link may be to a malware site but the whole thing smacks of a scam.

-----------------------------------------

Issuing authority address: CCTV Enforcement
Reference: HY12654618

Penalty Charge Notice number(PCN): HY12654618

Date of Contravention: 09/7/2012

The majority of Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) can be paid using our online payments service.
To use our online payments service please enter your vehicle registration and the number of a PCN.

When can the council use bailieff's to collect a penalty charge?

"If you don't pay a parking penalty charge issued by a council, they can apply to the Traffic Enforcement Centre to have the penalty charge registered as if it were a County Court Judgment. The council can then instruct baili#!#!#! to come to your home and seize your belongings, including your vehicle.
If you don't pay, the bailieff's will clamp your vehicle."

Thanks,
The Trafic Management Act 2004,s78;Civil Enforcement of Parking Contravention(England);General Regulation 2007;Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007

Definatly sounds like a scam. Best way to find out would probably be to take a copy of the email to your local council offices. They should be able to check their records and find out if it is a con.

our police had this up on thier facebook page yesterday. saying it had been sent to quite a few in the area,

the question is how would the council know your email address ;)

Definatly sounds like a scam. Best way to find out would probably be to take a copy of the email to your local council offices. They should be able to check their records and find out if it is a con.

Unless it specifies my registration number and the place of the offense I'm not even going to bother checking it! The car is registered in my wifes name anyway so it would go to her.

I can see confused uncle Ted paying something like this so it's worth warning people as it is a new scam doing the rounds.