1997 c230 loss of power

jmc6633

Car
Mercedes C230 sport
My 2.3 seems to lose power at 40000 RPM
even at stand still it will only go to 4000rpm even though the pedal has still loads of room it is as if it is limited
have new plugs new air filter new HT leads the only thing i have yet to replace is the fuel filter

Can any body help ?

definatly change fuel filter then look at the breathing exhaust and airfilters easiest way to stop power is restrict the air flow

Can you move the throttle on the engine air inlet, get someone to wiggle the accelerator so you can see which cable it is. It might be a problem with the cable. The airflow meter could be soiled, does the butterfly valve fully open? Is the AFM clean or covered with oil and grime? Is the engine in limp home mode? Have you just bought the car or owned it a while?

sounds like the airflow meter may have packed up. try disconnecting the wiring plug from it ( should be the 1st set of wires after the airbox ) and try running it again.

this will put it on a generic map so dont try and go crazy with it

if it works take out the meter and clean out with a solvent cleaner then reconnect. Although this is just a short term fix you may need to change it.

other plan is take it to Merc and get a diagnostic done on it. it will show up if the airflow meter is dirty / knackered as less air than normal will be flowing past

New fuel filter no change
Air flowmeter cleaned no change
Tried with MAF disconected still not able to rev over 4000

Have had the car 6 years it had 50k on it
it is now at 130k never mised a beat till now.
kept serviced and frequent oil changes
still drives well just will not go over 4000 revs
can still achive 100mph + but will not allow revs to exceed 4000 bit like the rev limit
has moved ??

Been reading up on this. The Merc engines will not rev to over 4000 if the car is stationary. It could then be the speed sensor which is not telling the engine you are moving.

Thanks for yor help
disconecting the neutral lead and reconecting has curred it
Car is now performing like a teenager again
plenty of power able to Red line again. (So to speak)
Nice to have the horses back

:)Thanks for yor help
disconecting the neutral lead and reconecting has curred it
Car is now performing like a teenager again
plenty of power able to Red line again. (So to speak)
Nice to have the horses back:twisted:

Just joined the forum,I mine (mercedes 1994)has a similar problem,not so familiar with the neutral Lead,where is it located?

Thanks,happy to be here..do you have an answer to my query

No buddy which is why you don't see one! ;)

I am sure someone who is more familiar with your model car will have the answers that you seek and post it up soon :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back