Loz's MX-5

Well here's the replacement for the MG ZS, she's a 1995 UK spec 1.8iS 5 with a confirmed 69,000 miles on the clock, 2 lady owners the last being a MX-5 OC member from new & full service history from new including all the receipts & MOT's. The sills have been repaired in the past but have been done to a good standard. The paint work is good for a 17 year old car but could do with a little tidy up although I am thinking of a respray in Honda pearl white. I love the OEM wheels & they are in good nick but I will get them refurbed this winter.

Some quick pics...

f715a290.jpg

1e5144e3.jpg

89fefe31.jpg

Engine the right way round & proper wheel drive. :amuse: Sticker on the slam panel confirms cam belt was done 2010 at 67,000 miles.

593252eb.jpg

5bf7b685.jpg

7becc917.jpg

Full tool kit including a pair of pliers a screw driver & spanners, though I've not found the jack yet.

Got a few bits stocked up already too... :amuse:

2e602b60.jpg

NOS! :amazed: You little rascal :lol:

The car is coming on a real treat now Loz, very tidy bodywork as well considering the age. :)

:embarrest: So I have now booked an appointment with Vision Express for next Monday morning! :lol:

I assume it is a stuffed cloth bottle or something similar? I would never make a good detective :)

:embarrest: So I have now booked an appointment with Vision Express for next Monday morning! :lol:

I assume it is a stuffed cloth bottle or something similar? I would never make a good detective :)

Yep its a full size plush NOS bottle, its OK Is I don't think Waynne or Claymore noticed either. :lol:

Yep its a full size plush NOS bottle, its OK Is I don't think Waynne or Claymore noticed either. :lol:

:toung:I noticed it was soft but I thought it was just some sort of delivery protecting blanket or some kind of bottle warmer!

lol love the soft NOS bottle :)

Rust unfortunately is something all of us with older cars have to face.....i found rust just starting to form on my 306 in the same place as daves (but a lot less servier) common place there as theres no underseal up there,
is that a common problem on the MX5?

btw sorry i hardly spoke to you...but your motor looks properly tidy :)

btw sorry i hardly spoke to you...but your motor looks properly tidy :)

It does indeed, it belies its years when you look at the condition of the paint work. I will have to have mine resprayed in a few years or so but I am already prepared for that.

Omg I'm not going to sleep tonight! Just got the phone call from a highly enthusiastic Steve at 5-Speed saying my car has been rolling road tuned today & the drive back was brilliant & it's exactly what a sports car should be like & that I can pick it up tomorrow. :D

Can't frigging wait!
yahoo.gif

Marvellous news Loz, full update details please on Sunday/Monday as I assume you won't be back home tomorrow night as you will be enjoying the chariot too much :bigsmile:

Marvellous news Loz, full update details please on Sunday/Monday as I assume you won't be back home tomorrow night as you will be enjoying the chariot too much :bigsmile:

Sadly I'm working saturday night so I wont get much play time, at least I'll have a good run home from Nottingham. :D

I'll reveal all tomorrow. ;)

Okay dokey I'm now back from Nottingham, a very entertaining drive I must say. :D

So recap the work done,
Jenvey throttle bodies, run by an Adaptronic ECU with an Innovate wide band sensor fitted to replace the oem one.
A new Exedy standard clutch & 8lb flywheel.
A new clutch slave cylinder fitted as a bit of preventative maintainence, there was also a new braided clutch line too.

There was a quite a bit of work done to get the kit fitted, the supplied kit from Jenvey is very basic I would tell all they've done but I've forgotten the details already, I shall have to have sent to me in an email I think. :D

So the car is now a bit of a different beastie, there's a low bark from the ITB's when pulling away that go to a guttural growl when you put your foot down & at 5000rpm it sounds mental... I absolutely love it. :amuse: But when cruising there is hardly any noticeable increase in noise so motorway journeys aren't going to be tiresome. Plus the faster throttle response thanks to the ITB's & the the lighter fly wheel is a revelation.

Ste at 5-Speed is incredibly happy with the car & he thinks this is how the MX-5 should have left the factory, as not it's a proper little sports car & I'm inclined to agree! :)

There's still lots to do though, I think I'm going to get a IACV to keep the idle in check in traffic & I want to find a way of squeezing a one piece air filter in (room at the back is a bit tight). Also to get the most out of the ITB's I will be looking at higher comp pistons or a head skim & possibly some cams too, but that will be a while down the line, my savings need time to recover!

Video with awesome sounds to come soon.

Pics!

R0010436_zpsddc0a716.jpg

The stuff that was taken off,

R0010438_zps5a5ca47e.jpg

More engine, socks aren't ideal but the only option for the moment. :D

R0010437_zps4d07f575.jpg

Fives everywhere!

R0010441_zps966b2845.jpg

R0010440_zpsa0192456.jpg

R0010439_zps537ddd1a.jpg

Massive thanks to 5-Speed who've worked very hard on my car. :)

Last edited:
Looks good Loz, I would love to hear it, can't wait for the video.

I am sure the video will be better than the TC Santa Pod meeting that he made; I am expecting a few actors in this one, dramatic scenery maybe a car chase or two showing of the MX-5's prowess through the city streets! Oh mustn't forget the love interest to keep the ladies watching! ;)

Just waiting for my phone call now from Loz Spielberg for when filming will commence and the script to be sent over :D

I am sure the video will be better than the TC Santa Pod meeting that he made; I am expecting a few actors in this one, dramatic scenery maybe a car chase or two showing of the MX-5's prowess through the city streets! Oh mustn't forget the love interest to keep the ladies watching! ;)

Just waiting for my phone call now from Loz Spielberg for when filming will commence and the script to be sent over :D

sarcasm_zpsc0d4acfa.gif
:lol:

I shall try my best. :bigsmile:

Drooling_smiley.gif
Drooling_smiley.gif
Drooling_smiley.gif

Nice just need to get the cam cover cleaned up ;)
see what you mean about the space for the filter.

Yes I thought that too, think a black crinkle paint job will go well the ITB's colour.

Looks good Loz, I would love to hear it, can't wait for the video.

It's no subtle beatsie now, got some strange looks at work starting it this morning (also because I fluffed up starting it as well). :embarrest:

It's no subtle beatsie now, got some strange looks at work starting it this morning (also because I fluffed up starting it as well). :embarrest:

OK, so how did you fluff up starting the car then? Left it in gear when you turned the key, fingerprint reader and retina scan ignition on the fritz? Atomic batteries not fully charged? :blink:

OK, so how did you fluff up starting the car then? Left it in gear when you turned the key, fingerprint reader and retina scan ignition on the fritz? Atomic batteries not fully charged? :blink:

Lol Os your on form this week aren't you. :D

Right OK I'm not sure on the full technicalities but I'll try my best to explain. Because there's no Maf, the ECU now takes all its info from the throttle position sensor (no trigger wheel either) so starting is a bit like starting a carbed car, you need to give it a little gas when turning the engine over, once it catches it needs a blip on the throttle to settle the tickover. My neighbour's are going to hate me. :lol:

Lol Os your on form this week aren't you. :D

Right OK I'm not sure on the full technicalities but I'll try my best to explain. Because there's no Maf, the ECU now takes all its info from the throttle position sensor (no trigger wheel either) so starting is a bit like starting a carbed car, you need to give it a little gas when turning the engine over, once it catches it needs a blip on the throttle to settle the tickover. My neighbour's are going to hate me. :lol:

That's interesting. Is there no way of adjusting the idler?

I think Its all done in the map though there maybe some mechanical adjustment on the bodies I'm not sure to be honest. Jenvey do their own idle air control valve that would help in traffic, I was told I wouldn't need an IACV but i think the car would be a little more civilised with it so I think I'll be popping over to see Jenvey (their 10 miles from me) and find out what I need.

I would get the idle issue sorted out as soon as Loz. All that work to have the chariot being temperamental in traffic is a no no. Is it possible that Jenvey could install the IACV while your there, they could do any little tweaks that are required then.

Don't get me wrong this is still a work in progress there's much more to do yet. Its not a big issue, its just the way they are a small blip on the throttle and it settles fine, its just a little embarrassing sometimes. :lol:

You know what its like Os Is everything has to just right, its like a mental itch. :embarrest::lol:

Don't get me wrong this is still a work in progress there's much more to do yet. Its not a big issue, its just the way they are a small blip on the throttle and it settles fine, its just a little embarrassing sometimes. :lol:

You know what its like Os Is everything has to just right, its like a mental itch. :embarrest::lol:

Think of the future! Just think.... "A few weeks and it will be perfect."

;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back