2006 350z Possible Fantasy Come True!

Zuhbargus

Car
2001 Saturn L300
Hello! My name is Jeff...

Well... The title pretty much explains it all. One of my top 3 fantasy cars, although nothing amazing, is the Nissan 350z. I think its slick, sexy and lots of fun to putt around in! I have been given an offer recently (don't ask me to expand on that) that could end with me owning one of my very own! Now of corse its fun stock... But everyone knows its so much better tuned up! I'm torn between supercharging or turbocharging it... Plus it doesn't help that I'm a total car noob.. :sad2:

I understand how both charging systems work, i love the hiss of turbo's and the flat steady power of supers. But what I'm wondering is which of these should i look into?

Cruising is huge in my city. Easter sunday, 2012, there were over 2000+ cars out cruising the main street through Fresno. You can Youtube it, but there isn't really any good footage. Mostly there's just lowered Civics with fart can mufflers on the back of them, and i humor myself by smashing them in my Saturn... which says a LOT. However, there are lots of higher end tuned cars out and about late at night... Supra's, STI's, Dodge Neons with 2.4L Turbo Hemi (i think i've never seen the model name) and a long list of exotic cars.. mainly Vipers and Ferraris.. I just cruise and watch these fancy cars whizz around while i blast "Gold Dust (Flux Pavillion Mix)" from my plastic deathtrap.

What kinds of things will i need to buy in order to supercharge or turbocharge this 2006 Nissan 350z if i end up getting it? I've heard/read GREAT things about Stillen, most people rave on and on about them and their warranty/product quality. Lets say i get the kit.. Installation and tuning will probably run me about another 2 grand. What else will i need for a supercharger? I know for turbo ill need exhaust manifolds and boost timers as well as a timer to let my car idle before it turns off to prevent any damages...

I guess the biggest landing pad of a question to start at, is what's better for long-term fun. I'm not looking to set land-speed records, or out run a Lambo... So Twin Turbo is out of the question. (Though i'd love it.) Just to have some extra boost to smash kids on the weekends and support a reason to drop a sexy bodykit on it! Also i know manual is more fun/preferred with a sports car, but would an auto work just as well? Obviously I'm gonna have to buy used...

If this forum needs to be relocated please just tell me and i will do so, and if there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask! This is all just hypothetical but i want to start a budget list of everything ill need for the future, as well as create a mental fantasy ride! :toung:

Thank you and happy posting!
-Jeff

With regards to your turbo timer, we recently discussed this topic and agreed that they are a bad idea.
Just drive steady for a minute or two before getting to your destination and then wait a few seconds on tickover and switch it off manually.
I can't remember all the details of the discussion but Im sure someone will be along shortly to fill you in.
It involved a couple of interesting videos of cars setting on fire then not switching off due to the timer.

With regards to your turbo timer, we recently discussed this topic and agreed that they are a bad idea.
Just drive steady for a minute or two before getting to your destination and then wait a few seconds on tickover and switch it off manually.
I can't remember all the details of the discussion but Im sure someone will be along shortly to fill you in.
It involved a couple of interesting videos of cars setting on fire then not switching off due to the timer.

Haha I guess In life there's victories, failures... And flaming failures! Well good to know. What do you like more for the DD? Turbo or Super?

I like the sound of both, but I gather that it is easier to fit a supercharger to an engine than a turbocharger. I wish you the very best of luck with your project anyway buddy and I look forward to the future updates. :)

Thanks guys. From what I understand a turbo is less strain on the engine as far as daily driving goes so long as I don't smash around town... But a supercharger provides exponential amounts of boost as well as an easier install... Does anyone know if the stock transmission can handle boost? Or will I have to upgrade that too?

Depending on how much additional power you are looking for, if it is another 100 BHP or so then you should have no problems at all. This leeway is built into the gearbox by the manufacturers anyway. My cars automatic gearbox is handling almost 3 times the original factory horsepower!

Depending on how much additional power you are looking for, if it is another 100 BHP or so then you should have no problems at all. This leeway is built into the gearbox by the manufacturers anyway. My cars automatic gearbox is handling almost 3 times the original factory horsepower!

Ok cool, thanks a ton. I've just been concerned about that because I looked into tricking out my Saturn for giggles only to find out that the transmission can only handle about 20 more pounds of torque haha. They kind of messed up on that one!

Understand you totally buddy but just a quick note to you, TorqueCars is a family orientated car forum and as such NO swearing disguised or otherwise is tolerated on here. Hope you understand and we look forward to your next update. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok cool, thanks a ton. I've just been concerned about that because I looked into tricking out my Saturn for giggles only to find out that the transmission can only handle about 20 more pounds of torque haha. They kind of messed up on that one!

Understand you totally buddy but just a quick note to you, TorqueCars is a family orientated car forum and as such NO swearing disguised or otherwise is tolerated on here. Hope you understand and we look forward to your next update. ;)

My bad

Thanks guys. From what I understand a turbo is less strain on the engine as far as daily driving goes so long as I don't smash around town... But a supercharger provides exponential amounts of boost as well as an easier install... Does anyone know if the stock transmission can handle boost? Or will I have to upgrade that too?

A turbo runs at a higher pressure than a supercharger. For the record as well (from someone who is currently supercharging a car), it may be 'easier' to some people. but it's still a ball ache.

The problem you'll find is that it's trial and error. You'll either have to find someone who has done it, or learn yourself. T9 is very lucky his auto box is taking the strain but most auto boxes wouldn't handle that kind of power.

You may find the clutch need changing, the diff, the gearbox (or at least the mounts). Not to mention brakes will need to be done before anything.

I spent months and months researching before jumping into the supercharger project and I've still ran into problems.

A turbo runs at a higher pressure than a supercharger. For the record as well (from someone who is currently supercharging a car), it may be 'easier' to some people. but it's still a ball ache.

The problem you'll find is that it's trial and error. You'll either have to find someone who has done it, or learn
yourself. T9 is very lucky his auto box is taking the strain but most auto boxes wouldn't handle that kind of power.

You may find the clutch need changing, the diff, the gearbox (or at least the mounts). Not to mention brakes will need to be done before anything.

I spent months and months researching before jumping into the supercharger project and I've still ran into problems.

Thanks! Thad the kind of info I'm lookin for. Couldn't a lot of those issues just be your car too?

Thanks! Thad the kind of info I'm lookin for. Couldn't a lot of those issues just be your car too?

I've not had any major issues like diff/LSD, gearbox, clutch yet but I am expecting them later on. The diff will no doubt go first but you just do it and find out tbh.

I would expect the above to need upgrading on any car suddenly getting a lot more power.

I like the supercharger because the acceleration is there when you want it without any spooling (like a turbo). But I could never achieve the same high end power figures a turbo could. Depends on what you want.