Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
How's the car running now Prince?

The heating is a lot better but haven't noticed the fuel consumption being any better. Although I haven't driven the car since Saturday. So I'll find how tomorrow.

Just a lot of effort to change to put a second hand one in imo especially when new rads are inexpensive.

Wasn't much effort tbh. As above the thermostat had gone (meaning new waterpump as well) so it made sense to put a bigger radiator in at the same time as the coolant had to be drained anyway. For the sake of £50 it should make a decent improvement for the 'charger.

You said you had to have some help, that's all. Meh, not really you'd be better off putting the money towards an oil cooler and keeping your charge air cool.

Just a quick little message to say that I took in the Beemer for it's MOT today. It passed through with just a couple of advisories so can't complain!

Just a quick little message to say that I took in the Beemer for it's MOT today. It passed through with just a couple of advisories so can't complain!

Good news that! What were the advisories if you don't mind me asking? When's that 'charger getting fitted? :toung:

Good news that! What were the advisories if you don't mind me asking? When's that 'charger getting fitted? :toung:

The handbrake needs some attention as it only scored 19% (needs 16% to pass). This will be completely refreshed when I uprate the brakes though. The others were offside rear wheel bearing (already got a new one ready to go in) and one of my wishbones has started to deteriorate. No problem there as I'll be replacing both sides with E30 items as they are a better design.

The 'charger is being lined up for April now. As much as I want to fit it, I also want things done right. So I'm looking at getting my brakes sorted before then and a couple other bits and bobs (e.g. engine mounts).

Congrats on the MOT pass Prince! :D A dad always feels much happier when his baby comes through with flying colours :)

Not referring to your beast, are we T9? :p

I am not glued up about BMW's at all... Are the E30 parts off a new M3 or an older model?

The E30 is older (E21, E30, E36, E46, E92 < order of 3 series coupes) but they share the same wishbones with a small difference. The E36's wishbones have a rubber ball joint but the E30 has a metal one so it's stronger. There are also a few aftermarket versions that are the same as the E30s design. E.G. Meyle.

Congrats on the MOT pass Prince! :D A dad always feels much happier when his baby comes through with flying colours :)

:lol: It's always a nerve racking time for me ;)

:lol: Thanks mate. :D I always hate MOT day. I get this feeling of 'what are they going to find'.

Update.

After much thought I have decided to go a slightly different direction with things. Call it function>form if you like. My beautiful BBS rims are now for sale (here) and the replacements will be revealed soon. For now, let's just say they offer the clearance needed for the Porsche calipers, and are wide enough for a 245/40/17 tyre all round.

Good lad, function over form is always the best to go for :)

Also as promised from ages ago, a solution to your supercharger fueling....
http://www.splitsec.com/products/mafkits/MAFkits2.htm

I'm pretty sure your engine management is Bosch Motronic system which this kit is based on, do you have a picture of your air flow meter I could look at?

I don't have any proper photos of the MAF, only ones with a bit of it in. So does this kit basically replace the MAF?

OK lets have a look at those photos, clearer the better if possible,

IF it is the one I'm think of it's not got a MAF you've got an AFM which is basically a flap in the housing that opens up with the increasing demand for air and fuel, not a particually good system but it works :) I came across these guys while looking for a controller to run an extra injector for a turbo system for the GTI I had and the GTI uses a similar ecu to yours (L-jectronic mine was, upgraded to the motronic when CATs were mandatory), so I think this would be the way to go, it does replace the AFM with a MAF and then you can use a piggy back device to alter the signals the ECU recieves either using the box with the dials or the other option that allows you to program it with a laptop. Or you have the option of using there additional injector controller to add more fuel. Possiblities are endless really...

OK lets have a look at those photos, clearer the better if possible,

IF it is the one I'm think of it's not got a MAF you've got an AFM which is basically a flap in the housing that opens up with the increasing demand for air and fuel, not a particually good system but it works :) I came across these guys while looking for a controller to run an extra injector for a turbo system for the GTI I had and the GTI uses a similar ecu to yours (L-jectronic mine was, upgraded to the motronic when CATs were mandatory), so I think this would be the way to go, it does replace the AFM with a MAF and then you can use a piggy back device to alter the signals the ECU recieves either using the box with the dials or the other option that allows you to program it with a laptop. Or you have the option of using there additional injector controller to add more fuel. Possiblities are endless really...

Yeah I think you're right. Technically it's not a MAF but everybody still refers to it as one. Here are a few shots that I have...

(Bottom right)
E36_124.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

E36_145.jpg

(Top right)
Image000.jpg

I know the other option would be to swap out the AFM/MAF for a 328 MAF, then bigger injectors and a remap. A lot of people at this stage get rid of the RRFPR as well and let the ECU take care of it iirc.

Top man, form over function is for pussays.

Straight to the point! :D

328 afm larger injectors and a remap sounds better to be honest mate. Did they do a 2.0litre four in the E36?

That's what the US guys have been doing with good results (although they have to use the US M3 MAF as it's the same size as our 328s. The UK M3s use a bigger MAF). The 2.0 litre is a 6 pot. Why'd you ask?

Thought it was a 6 but wasnt sure... could have borrowed the cams,

Yeah the americans got short changed with the e36 m3 no idea why though

also i would bet that the euro spec m3 maf wouldnt work with your ecu

Water meths would still be a good idea all the same though..

Thought it was a 6 but wasnt sure... could have borrowed the cams,

Yeah the americans got short changed with the e36 m3 no idea why though

also i would bet that the euro spec m3 maf wouldnt work with your ecu

Water meths would still be a good idea all the same though..

I'm not sure why they did either! The Maf would be too big. I'd need the 3 inch one iirc which is found on the 328 in the UK. Water/meth is the plan when I take the power a few steps further.

Love the new style car alarm in photo 2 Prince! Is that the new Cobra range and is it a Thatcham 1 or 2 category alarm? :blink:

Love the new style car alarm in photo 2 Prince! Is that the new Cobra range and is it a Thatcham 1 or 2 category alarm? :blink:

Much better than any alarm! PG Tips Monkey (even though I don't actually like tea lol) has sentimental reasons so I like to think of him as my mascot.

Now for the preview of the new wheels!

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

They weigh in a just over 7kg each. I was supporting this one as my scales are too small, but I've seen them weigh in at 7.2kg.

033.jpg

I'm planning on altering them slightly though. By polishing up the lip so they look more like this...

LTW5_black_02.jpg

The spec is:
D Force LTWs
17 inch
8.5J
ET40

Now onto tyre choice. I'm really not sure on what to run although after reading around I quite like the look of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas.

Comments welcome. :D

Those wheels look marvellous Prince, tbh and imo not sure that you need to polish the lips on the wheels as they look sexy enough right now! I can already visualise them on your car, but what do I know! :embarrest:

What Big T said.
Are you sure you can polish them in the way you just scratch the paint from lips only without chufing the collor in the midle?
If not you prepare to pull of the paint entirely and paint them again after polishing.
Just an question, mate. Not trying to sugest anything. :)