My Bora

Ok have been a member on here for over 2 years but have yet to post picks of the bora so heres some quick shots taken tonight. will get better ones at the weekend if its decent weather as the cars in severe need of a wash

Car

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

Carputer Clicky for thread

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

Custom Sub enclouser

DSC00380.jpg

Last edited:
i think the DV is opening as the current spring is for standard cars, most of the 1.8t run around 7psi standard. so its generally an upgrade although some find the standard spring holds enough

should be sitting around 205-210.
aye its a forge one think its the yellow spring im after.

probably what i was going to do ages ago and fit a rear ARB. then mind look into some coils for a slight drop. although saving hard for a bigger deposit on another house

def thinking its the DV opening slighly. didnt realise it would freeze as hard this morning so hard to wait a little while till it defrosted. the engine was nice and warm by the time i got home so took it for a quick run up a service road.

boost goes to 20psi, drops back to around 16 then tried to increase again before dropping again.
looks like im going to get the cable linked up and see if theres any faults recorded and do a couple of runs to see if the requested - actual boost is varying a bit. along with checking all the connections

:confused: ok slightly confused now

according to the diagnostics the engine is making around 205bhp and 245ftlb
making 220ftlb from 3000prm up to around 4600.
the 200bhp starts from around 4800 up to 5700

the boost seems to stay close to spec worst was 1.6 psi off at 3600rpm. the rest all +- 0.5 psi

so its looking like no boost leak as such. might try crimping the line from the N75 to the DV and see if that helps hold the boost slightly more. dont want to go over specified boost by more than 2psi as this would throw it into limp mode

Might just be the overboost, a lot of maps are made to overboost to get better peak figures on the dyno. Unusual that it tries to jump back up again, point to a problem imo. Although if no fault codes are coming up it's clearly not sensor related. Weak actuator, vac leak, turbo problems, dodgy DV. I trust a Revo remap to be able to hold boost as it should.

done a bit of reading up on it. most come back with it is 1.45 bar peak - the 20psi so thats right then hold around 1.2 bar (18psi), so im a couple of PSI low. think im going to look at the PCV system tomorrow as im now off. dont think theres any leaks there and my fuel trims are only 3.1% - if theres a leak your normally talking double figures. might do a few more boost runs as only done one and that was also recording another set of figures. so would have only been read at most 2 times a second, where as if it had just been on its one might have been 3-3.5 times. im thinking that it could well off slightly more - thinking that 1.6 psi may have been read when it was losing the boost. fault wouldnt show unless its over under by 300mbar - so a little more than i originally thought i was told 2psi more like 4.5 - so again if its supposed to be sitting on 18 and its on 15,16 then it wouldnt show anything

the green spring apparently is good for those running up to 15psi - maybe its slightly weaker and opening earlier, might explain the varying boost - other thing is forge recommend the yellow spring for it.

would hope the actuator wouldnt be bad - never actually thought of that even as i dont drive it that hard most of the time, will try and give it a look over tomorrow.

if i cant find anything tomorrow then will order up the spring kit - this way i can try another green spring, and i have the yellow - blue and red are way to strong - but also have the shims to for more adjustment

OK time for an update.

got a forge spring set

swapped out for another green spring - no difference

fitted one shim with green - slight improvement
2 shims and green - boost went all over the place. worse much worse
swapped them out, the shims are a pain to get out, for a yellow spring. much better boost still spikes up to 20psi and now holds steady at 17psi

brakes - after an enthusiast run to Edinburgh i maybe cooked the brakes lol. pedal was lovely and soft and brakes felt like i was driving the wifes car.
ordered up some DS2500 - should have got these in the 1st place, i wasnt willing to refit the Mintex 1144s - and a calliper wind back tool. forgot a g-clamp wouldnt fit in the single piece calliper.

back to better brakes again :D

still have the TIP and powerflexd dog bone mount to fit, waiting for a nice dry day. this being scotland its ether raining or freezing at the minute.

another running issue has however developed. missfire under hard acceleration, not enough to show up in the diagnostics. pulled the sparks and found them to be showing their age but not bad enough to cause the missfire.

looked at the coilpacks and found one covered in what can only be described as white powder and the other 3 traces of it.
so looks like i now need some coils and sparks.

MPG hasnt been effected that much still getting around 31-32 in general driving and 36 driving to cambridge a few weeks ago

Ok time for another update, its only taken nearly 4 months :D

Done some small work on the car in the past few days.

as above car was delevloping a slight missfire under hard acceleration. so changed the sparks, they had done over 60k so i was happy, missfire more or less stopped but would still come back every now and again.

coming home from dropping the wife off one day at work, dropped to 3rd to pass some traffic and lost all power no boost and ECU light flashing at me. managed to limp it to a layby where i ran the diagnostic - multiple random missfire and missfire cylinder 2

popped open the bonnet to find coilpack was out - another common problem - had found then loose before but never fully off. so pushed down and drove home.
got to the last hill before hitting the town and again now power and light flashing at me. limped it home, 1/2 mile and found this

IMG_3207.jpg

top all burnt - that was the white powder that i was on about in the previous post and was, im sure, white when i had refitted it not even 5 miles previous.

phoned up VW and gave them the part number and was told it was blocked stock and they couldnt order it :s would have to do it through audi. phoned them and they they said yup its blocked stock as its been replaced recently we have the replacements in stock. drove down and couldnt find audi, seen another VW garage and went in guess what they had them in stock as well, guy couldnt understand how the ones at dumfries couldnt find them.

order myself a full set from awesome gti for £90, VW were £38 a piece, and while i was at it ordered the hold down kit and a short shifter while i was at it.
Email the next morning saying that it would be a few days as they didnt have the shifter that i had ordered in stock but if i wanted they would give me the forge one for the same price - saving £25, yes please.

IMG_3271_1.jpg

coil packs and hold down kit were fitted asap due to me finding some of the other packs were looking rough,
IMG_3275_1.jpg

left it at that until today where i decided to tackle the short shifter and TIP that ive had since xmas,

what shocked me was the forge fitting kit.
3 pins - depending on what is fitted as standard to the OEM shifter
a 8mm locking nut for attaching the pin
small amount of grease
and this

IMG_3277.jpg

yes a bent nail.

and here it is doing its job

IMG_3278.jpg

i had remembered the link herb had put up a while ago about resetting the neutral position in the gearbox due to the cables stretching etc, and the guide said to use a bent nail or a 5 mm drill bit.

forge shifter against OEM

IMG_3280.jpg

TIP what a pain this was both to remove and refit. read through a few guides all saying roughly an hour to an hour and a half to fit. more like 2.5 - 3 hours.
It was the tight on and had only been held in place by 1 cap screw. about an hour to get it off and the rest was trying to refit the new one.
eventually had to bend the hard coolant pipe about 1/4" to get enough room to line the pipe up with the turbo
All done now thankfully

2 side by side
IMG_3283.jpg

fitted

IMG_3285.jpg

engine bay as it now is
IMG_3285.jpg

1st impressions, well ive only driven a mile from the parent back home as the rain was on.
TIP couldnt feel any difference but wasnt booting it as engine was still cold. did notice that the dv is alot quieter now
Short Shifter - at max its supposed to be 40% shorter, and you cant use it at max on some of the Mk4 gearboxes so rather than fit it and find that it didnt work on mine and have to go through it all again i set it up a smidgen off max but what a difference. its going to take some getting used to as it hardly moves now

and a last one showing the reason for the hold down kit
this is what i found when i went to replace the coils

IMG_3272_1.jpg

Love the simplicity of the hold down kit, the holes almost look as if VW had thought about it too.

Lol at the nail must have been one of those "what the ..." moments when you unpacked it, but still, why make something complicated?

Think I want a short shifter for the MG now. :D

the worst thing is VW used to have coilpacks that could be bolted down, you can even see the tapped holes in the rocker cover for them. but i couldnt find the part number - it was from a really early 1.8 back when they had ignition amplifiers before the coils so not sure if
a) they are still made
b) if they would work with the later engines

yeah thats exactly what i said, and the wife as well. hadnt even thought about the cables needing moved.

gotta admit mate its going to take some getting used to, i was used to basically touching the screen in 1st, 3rd, and 5th now it feels like its just outa neutral

cheers mate, need to do the fluid again. the halfords stuff doesnt seem to last very long. so looking at some superblue. rears are going to need done shortly as well. thinking about an upgrade to 284mm but not sure

Superblue is very good for the money. You have to spend double the money if you want something half as good again, and if heat management is good in the rest of your brakes you shouldn't need better than Superblue for road and occassional track use.

well after an unfortunate accident last week the bora is no more.

_MG_5378.jpg

_MG_5379.jpg

_MG_5380.jpg

Damage done
Drivers door
Front bumper
bonnet
headlight
various brackets
wing
innerwing
A/C condensor
2 cowls
radiator fan
gearbox mount
tyre

total price to fix £345 - £1600 on parts alone - needless to say it wasnt long on getting written off

damage to bus a scrape in the paintwork that the owners are going to fix themselves as other scrapes on the back were due to be fixed

still waiting on the insurance phoning me back with a figure. going to look at a vrs diesel the morra if i can get up early enough.

was looking at these anyway as thought about changing around march april time as the sub 30 to the gallon was starting to get silly

Bad times. :(

I was heart broken the day they took my little car away, not a pleasant experience at all.

Fingers crossed the insewerrats stump up the money sooner rather than later. :)

cheers guys.

no T9 both of us were ok

accepted the insurances 1st offer on the spot so waiting on the pay coming through. parkers had it around £1500 for a trade in and £1.7k for a private sell.
after trying to tell me there was only one other 1.8t 2003 bora for sale and me telling them i had a list of 6 they relooked and agreed that my valuation of £3k was right so paid out £2700 after my excess was removed.

have since bought a 2009 VRS hatch octavia will try and get some photos this week at some point if i can find the cameras charger. its in need of a decent polish though as the roof is all swirl marked alot worse than what i was expecting on a 2 year old car.

have gotten the short shifter to fit and a nice set of s3 brakes to fit but still need to order up some parts before they can go on.

Wow, and I thought my BORA was in good shape. Seems like I've a bit of work to do. Nice car pgarner. BTW - how many k's has it done. Also I saw some VW centres for the wheels on ebay last month, but they sold pretty quick and weren't cheap for some reason. If I recall, they went for $50 AUD each !!!

Yeah mines is pretty much stripped last i seen of it :)

couldnt find the VW centres anywhere in the UK, couldnt even get the same size vinyls as thought about removing the audi rings, smoothing over applying the vinyl and clear coating them in.

it had done just shy of 63000 miles (100,000k ) not bad for a 8 and a half year old car

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back