Preparing your car for a track day

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you prepare your car and get it ready for a track day?

I would recommend a good set of tyres with lots of tread on them plus it is worth investing in some race spec brake pads and I would also suggest an oil change before a heavy session on the track.

Various tracks also have regulations about safety issues and noise emissions so it would be worth checking these out before you turn up. Noisy exhausts are the no1 reason for people to be barred from a trackday.

This is my little list:

For me it's double check your tyre tread and pressures.
Wheel bolts get checked with a torque wrench at the garage - have seen wheels come off before on the track, do not take their tightness for granted.

Fill the tank of fuel but most race circuits have fuel available onsite but beware it comes at a premium.

I already have racing brake pads fitted but I check all the fluid levels before I venture onto the track.

After every full trackday session brake pads are rechecked and brake fluid and oil & filter are replaced with new as a matter off course.

Check any loose items in the car especially in the boot, either remove it or tie it down.

Make sure you have a visible towing eye on the front of the car.

Make sure you take a crash helmet with you (Must have a visor if your car is an open top - and don't forget gloves as well!)
You MUST remember to bring your drivers license with you or your day will be very short.

Charge up or take spare batteries for your camera or camcorder. Make sure your camera or camcorder bracket is a solid one and fixed, the track people do not like to see the sticky holders on the screen or door glass these days so be warned.

If you suspect your car is overly loud on the exhaust, then buy a silencer extention which clips onto the tail pipe.

Wear light footwear preferably trainers and a light and long sleeved top, make sure it is comfortable as a trackday involves lots of arm movement.

Enjoy and have fun! :)

T9's pretty much got it covered. :D
I'd also take a set of wheels & tyres for driving on track, a set of road tyres will quickly get worn leaving you nothing to get home on. It also means your posh alloys won't ruined if you have on off.
Also pack a spare set of pads, some oil, water, zip ties, a roll of Duct tape & some basic tools.

I would strongly advise against tyres with plenty of tread as the heat will destroy them within a couple of hot laps. Always use road legal track tyres if you can afford them or scrubbed road tyres. I use Hankook Evo's and Federals, R888s are stupidly expensive now, circa £160 a corner!

Loz got a few basics there as did T9, also:

• 12v compressor.
  • tyre pressure gauge.
  • chocks for the wheels, do not use the handbrake when parked up after a session!
  • helmets-some places hire these out for the day as the regulations have changed recently.
  • Empty car of all loose items and take a large plastic bin with lid or tarp to cover incase its raining.
  • Breakdown cover, incase you need to push it up the road away from the circuit :blink1:
  • Towing eye or strap fitted for the day, I use a short strap bought from Machine Mart, extends to the front of the car.
  • check the circuit regs as each one has their own maximum dB limit.

This is my little list:

For me it's double check your tyre tread and pressures.
Wheel bolts get checked with a torque wrench at the garage - have seen wheels come off before on the track, do not take their tightness for granted.

Fill the tank of fuel but most race circuits have fuel available onsite but beware it comes at a premium.

I already have racing brake pads fitted but I check all the fluid levels before I venture onto the track.

After every full trackday session brake pads are rechecked and brake fluid and oil & filter are replaced with new as a matter off course.

Check any loose items in the car especially in the boot, either remove it or tie it down.

Make sure you have a visible towing eye on the front of the car.

Make sure you take a crash helmet with you (Must have a visor if your car is an open top - and don't forget gloves as well!)
You MUST remember to bring your drivers license with you or your day will be very short.

Charge up or take spare batteries for your camera or camcorder. Make sure your camera or camcorder bracket is a solid one and fixed, the track people do not like to see the sticky holders on the screen or door glass these days so be warned.

If you suspect your car is overly loud on the exhaust, then buy a silencer extention which clips onto the tail pipe.

Wear light footwear preferably trainers and a light and long sleeved top, make sure it is comfortable as a trackday involves lots of arm movement.

Enjoy and have fun! :)
Spot on but may i suggest you add to the list
1 Fire extinguisher.
2 Rear towing eye along with" tow" sign
3 Insurance extension (it's required for road cars over here)
4 Tension wrench to check wheel nuts between sessions
5 Driving shoes with a thin soft sole for better feel
6 Basic tools
7 glass cleaner + anti mist wipes and paper towells
8 trolley jack & axle stands
I trailer my car to events so I generally hope for the best and plan for the worst.
The events I mainly enter are 2 day events (100-300 k's from home) where I camp overnight so my list may be seen as a little excessive to some:eek::bigsmile:

Much better for track days to use are braided brake lines and a track rated brake fluid, no nylon clothes.