Subaru Impreza JDM

Hi guys.

Well thought I'd get a bit of thread together rather than me keep updating my Hello thread.

Well as some of you know, I have a lovely JDM Impreza which I bought a couple of months ago and the bug has got me already and things have started to happen already.

This is the spec when I bought the car...

Engine:

2.0 Flat Four
VF28 Turbo
Simota Panel Filter
NGK PFR6B Spark Plugs
Miratec Silicone leads
Castrol Edge Sport 10W 60 Oil
Varta Battery
Open mouth stainless decat downpipe (not fitted but included)
Racebox Full stainless exhaust system
Walbro 255L fuel pump
Uprated injectors
Remapped.

Gearbox:

Exedy Clutch
Graham Goode short shift
Valvoline Gear oil

Suspension:

STI Shocks
Tein S Tech Springs
Front Strut Brace

Wheels:

Rota SDR 17x7.5
Toyo T1-R tyres

Brakes:

Godspeed reconditioned 4pot calipers with stainless pistons
Godspeed Grooved Discs front and rear
Uprated pads front and rear
Braided hoses
Dot 5.1 Fluid

Interior:

Prosport Gauges, showing Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost Gauge. Mounted in a triple pod replacing the top dash pocket.

Exterior:

Crystal;
Front headlights
Side lights
Front indicators
Side repeaters
Front Fogs

STI rear lights
Black mudflap kit
Tegiwa Black rear tow hook

And here is the beast...

scooby1.jpg

scooby3.jpg

scooby4.jpg

scooby2.jpg

scooby5.jpg

And since buying the car, there is already a wee bit of an update. Started modding already hehe. It's a desease I swear, modding cars. It can be so addictive if you know what to do to get resaults.

But when I bought the scooby it had an open mouth downpipe with sports cat sitting in the boot. The exhaust system is already straight through stainless system from downpipe back, but now this is fitted it doesn't half sound nice now.

This is the item thats fitted...

scoobydownpipe1.jpg

scoobydownpipe2.jpg

I'll get a vid and some more pics when on the next nice day down at Fistral.

This is where it starts to get good hehe. I took the scoobs down to Scooby Bits a couple of days after buying it as they are only 9 miles from me and wanted to know I bought a good car. So went a ride down to visit Jason who runs the place. While he was looking round the car, all I could see was his eyebrows raising every now and then, and turns out I have a few more thing under the hood that I didn't even realise were there lol.
I dont have a VF24 turbo, it's actually a VF29 so that put a smile on my face. Also the engine is not it's original either. It's got a UK 300 engine fitted with ECU and runs perfect on normal unleaded. Still notice the difference if I treat it to a bit of V-Power but until after christmas shes staying on normwal, so that was a huge bonus.

Also the interior is from a limited edition sport model which is very rare apparently. The colour is very rare on anything other than a RB5. Oh last but not least, the intercooler is alot bogger than it's original, reckons it's from a newage one with modded Y pipe to fit the classic engine.
So that visit was well worth it. Since then I have fitted a Baileys DV12 dump valve. And before anyone jumps on me about how crap baileys can be, I payed an extra £65 for a uprated spring kit to change the standard, common faulty spring for the uprated one. Also the piston inside is different to standard to help stop it seizing, and with the fluid I got with it, aslong as I keep on top of it, I shouldn't ever see any problems. All this was recommended by Jason at Scooby Bits. He agreed that Baileys are common to go wrong but its down to the standrad springs and the lack of lubrication by the owner.

So now, she roars something fearce when acclerating and sound sounds great when you change gear. The upside to it is, I can definatly feel the difference with the power. Not huge but definatly a difference. So now, just need to wait till March to get it live mapped and should be seeing over 350bhp+ easily hehe.

Yeh tell me about it. The mods that have been done, are not for increase but rather replacement using better items. The guy before had a theory that if something went wrong and there was a better than standard item available, he bought that instead. Hence the engine, turbo, ecu, gearbox, exeddy clutch, walbro fuel pump etc. But it's never been mapped with the better items.

The waste gate is original but modded to fit the VF29 so that runs standrad ecu boost, the fuel pump and injectors are still delivering the standard fuel pressure as the FPR is standard and the ecu hasn't been told to deliver any more than standard. So a live map should give these mods the grunt they deserve. It's running 319.6bhp at the moment so the exhaust and bits are giving it around the 20bhp mark alone over the standard power for the uk300 engine. But the map should see it passed the 350bhp mark easily (hoping for 360+).

The mods such as the clutch, suspension, short shift, exhaust system, gear box etc, really do make a difference. I know someone down here with a RB320 and I out acclerate due to the faster gear changes and delivery of the power so she really is crying for a live map.

Couple things i am on the lookout for is either a mid level RB5 spoiler (rare as chucks teeth) or a mid level prodrive spoiler (again, pretty rare). I would go all out for STi large spoiler but every man and his dog has one of them so want something a little different.

The other is a P1 front splitter, then i'll have the black body kit trim painted body colour and should look sweet as hell.

This is what mine would look like with the P1 splitter in my colour (again, very rare to find on anything other than a RB5 which are rare themselves), you'll also see the trim is body colour aswell...

Scoop%20-%20NS.jpg

This is the RB5 spoiler...

feature083-9.jpg

Not gonna get the larger scoop, gonna leave that standard. If I need more airflow round the intercooler i'll get a front mounted I reckon.

X2

It does need a boar exhaust on it as well mate. Lake away the back box and have a strate thru.:blink1:

Splitter will look smart.

Once again BBJ, it already is straight through lol. The back box is just drilled inside for the baffles. I'm not gonna be like everyone else and have something that soooo many already have. The exhuast sounds just right, good ols scooby burble but not over the top.

Once again BBJ, it already is straight through lol. The back box is just drilled inside for the baffles. I'm not gonna be like everyone else and have something that soooo many already have. The exhuast sounds just right, good ols scooby burble but not over the top.

:embarrest: There is a reason why sooo many people have them. Becaue they look good/sound good :embarrest:

Im a great believer in Scoobies and Evo's sharing one thing in common. They are the ONLY cars that suit Big Bores IMO. :bigsmile:

Don't think I have ever seen an Evo or a Scooby without a huge tail pipe sticking out the rear.

So mine will be a first then mate lol?

You must bear in mind though that mine is 3 inch straight through from the Turbo back with just the sports cat in the way, ending in a 3.5" tail pipe. Suits me down to the ground as I get all the scooby sound, but nothing like teeth chattering loud.

Again, I want to be different otherwise theres no point in owning one if its like every other one out there.

Eeven though it's absolutyly chucking it down, I managed to get a couple of shots of the interior.

The dials on the dash were £395 worth including fitting according to the receipts as they have been properly plumbed in for the Oil pressure and Oil temp, and the other of course is a boost gauge.

CIMG3258.jpg

As mentioned earilier in the thread, the interior turned out to be one from a special edition sport model (not sure which one as i've never seen this interior before) but they are bucketed exactly the same as the turbo models so will definatly be keeping it. Goes with the car very well and has allowed me to decide on what colour to do the brakes and the silicone hoses, Yellow all the way lol. But heres the interior...

CIMG3259.jpg

Are you going to re apalster the yellow in them or keep them as they are? I think going buy the colors on your dash/dials, and from the outside of the car, a nice deep blue would go well inside, with thick stitching.

But hell, what do I know, I'm just a guy. You will need to seek advise from a woman when it comes to color coding! lol :bigsmile:

Colour coding will be as follows...

- Change the colour of the lights on the dash and gauges to white (already in there, just need to press the button a few times to change the colour.

- Leave the interior as is, as I've never seen this colour interior before and it looks sweet.

- Paint the calipers yellow and then gently paint the raised SUBARU text in black.

- Yellow and black silicone's.

- Anthracite the wheels or go gloss black.

- Black out the windows professionally so they stay legal but look good.

- Body colour the side skirts and rear trim.

Then it should look pretty damn smart. I was going to just have Black highlights with the grey colour such as leaving the body kit black, black the wheels and windows and leave as is, as the calipers are already black, but need a bit of colour and as the interior has Yellow and you can easily buy yellow silicone's and caliper paint, so the yellow will be fine, just subtle.

The dials on the dash were £395 worth including fitting according to the receipts as they have been properly plumbed in for the Oil pressure and Oil temp, and the other of course is a boost gauge.

As opposed to not being properly plumbed in? :lol:

I had Prosport gauges in the Punto, reading the same three things as yours IIRC. Noice gauges for Defi rip-offs lol. Someone saw the previous owner coming a mile mind!

This is very nice for a Scoob, would go as far as to say I quite like it :amazed:

Please don't tint the windows mate or I will have to send you a baseball cap in't post. They are just only starting to shake of their chavvy image as it is.

T9 has started something here! I wonder how many people have ''carboned up'' there car since the Beast!

Im a sheep. Im going to be doing it when I get back to the UK :D

I already have about 10ft of carbon wrap left over from doing the dash in the Vectra ST so will be doing something with it for sure.

T9 has started something here! I wonder how many people have ''carboned up'' there car since the Beast!

Lots of you may remember that I did a lot of Carbon wrapping on my old scooby, progress of which can be seen in these links...

Scooby Progress

Carbon Wrapping Progress

I'm certainly not going to do it just for the sake of it as this new 3M carbon wrap is a totally different animal to use that the other stuff I used on my old scoobs. New stuff is slot thicker and doesn't have the shiney laquered look that real carbon does.

I have a complete fibre glass kit so may end up making my own air filter box, cover it with the carbon and then spray some clear laquor over the top. Definatly gonna do the strut brace again.

Last edited:
Bit of an update.

Bought some more bits and made some other myself. It now has a Apexi air filter, silicone intake pipe from MAF to turbo for better air flow and have also replaced the spoiler. Oh and also now have a Forge recirc valve :)

The filter with the recirc valve is great as it makes the turbo sound like a jet engine and also gives a nice dump through the filter due to the recirc valve. The difference in throttle response is fantastic. I've also ordered the mini scoop to replace the vent on the drivers side to suck alot more cold air in over the filter.

The spoiler was a great bargain. Genuine Subari item and all it cost was a tenner for spoiuler and a fiver for paint and sand paper. Decided in the end to paint it satin black to match the side skirts and rear trims. I will also be spraying the front splitter the same when I get that, but here some piccies...

BEFORE:-

CIMG3286.jpg

CIMG3287.jpg

Here the car the spoiler came from:-

imagesCA7S18EF.jpg

Couldn't upload the prep work of the spoiler for some reason but here it is painted:-

newspoilerprep1.jpg

newspoilerprep3.jpg

newspoilerprep5.jpg

And here the finished article:-

newspoilerclean1.jpg

newspoilerclean3.jpg

newspoilerclean2.jpg

What you reckon then peeps?

Those bottom pics not showing for me?

Recircs really are so much better than atmos in most applications.

Seem to be fine this end. I can view them in photobucket and on here. Strange???

But yeh the Baileys got sold on and as it was near new I only lost £20 on it so not bad really.

Standard type arial for the JDM. Other classics usually have them coming out at an angle from the pillar on the drivers side of the windscreen. The motor for the arial doesn't work so is stuck like that. I left it as it was because due to the size of it, it makes it look like an RC Car lol. Just need a giant controller lol.

Standard type arial for the JDM. Other classics usually have them coming out at an angle from the pillar on the drivers side of the windscreen. The motor for the arial doesn't work so is stuck like that. I left it as it was because due to the size of it, it makes it look like an RC Car lol. Just need a giant controller lol.

Haha. Each to their own on that one :lol:.

I'll be getting a little Bee Sting arial at some point to hide it away a bit better. Or just buy a bung to get rid completely and have an internal arial.

If you can do the same, on my Fiesta I heated the nib at the top up, pulled it off, cut the ariel down a bit and stuck the nib back on. Beestings look horrific!

To be honest, i'll probably disconect the motor and push it back down. It still works a treat even in it's down position. That way it all stays original, and I have a working arial that doesn't stick out all the time lol.

Oh and i've also re-uploaded the pics as there was quite a few peeps saying they couldn't see anything but a negative picture so uploaded straight from the SD card. Hopefully peeps can see these ones :)

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Good good. I was hoping for some snow down here as the car still looks mint and would be a good shot of it on the beach but surrounded by snow then mud and gravel in the carpark at the far end of the beach. All those Rally surfaces in one shot does not come along very often.

I can see them now in the later post. Looks good! I couldn't see the ariel in the last one so assumed it was one of the plastic coated ones, forgetting about the electric ariels. My mates RA had a short one coming out of the A pillar.

Yeh it's usually ONLY the JDM (Japanese Domestic Motor) models that have them there, aswell as the rear wiper plus a couple of other bits.