polo gt40

Yeah just a few track days here and there, and the fact that my first car was a nissan micra.... and im wanting a nice nippy little hatch thats relativley cheap on insurance.

Yeah just a few track days here and there, and the fact that my first car was a nissan micra.... and im wanting a nice nippy little hatch thats relativley cheap on insurance.

My personal choice would be a Honda Civic EG6/EK4/EK9 if I wanted FWD. I know they handle well and are relatively easy to maintain. That or a 106 GTi, I've always had a soft spot for them.

Out of your choices I would probably go GT40.

All depends on budget I suppose. Essentially you'll want to strip it, fit a bucket seat (maybe a second one for a passenger), harnesses and a roll cage.

thanks for the advice, i think the gt40 may be close to classic car insurance soon aswell. engine wise what would you recommend ?

They're cool, rare and a bit different from the norm. The GT40 only had one engine, the supercharged 1.3, with a bhp of around 115, which doesnt sound a lot these days but cos it doesnt weigh much still gives a 0-60 of around 8 seconds which is not bad.

thanks for the advice, i think the gt40 may be close to classic car insurance soon aswell. engine wise what would you recommend ?

I believe a car has to be 20 years old to qualify for classic car insurance. Engine wise are you thinking standard or engine swap?

Have you actually seen a GT40 for sale and in good condition then by any chance?

I have only ever heard of the Ford GT40 monster before, I think i'll google up some photos for a little look.

ive seen one haha, and its from a dealer down the road from me basicly he wants 1200 for it, its completly standard has nearly full service history so its like a blank canvas ready for me to go crazy. Has had 2 owners and im going down to see it in about 2 hours. so im going to grab it if i can. Ive set aside 4k to do what i want with it.

standard, maybe a new turbo? exhaust system, would an induction kit go far on it?

Exhaust would give it some extra poke. More noticeable in terms of throttle response. An induction kit would probably be useful (if installed properly) for the same reason. No idea on what turbo it uses. I assume you go for a bigger turbo though, with an intercooler.

ive seen one haha, and its from a dealer down the road from me basicly he wants 1200 for it, its completly standard has nearly full service history so its like a blank canvas ready for me to go crazy. Has had 2 owners and im going down to see it in about 2 hours. so im going to grab it if i can. Ive set aside 4k to do what i want with it.

How'd you get on?

went and had a good look over, took it down to a family friends garage who looked it over there is quite a bit of rust on the arches and quite a bit just under the passanger seat don't really know how much it would set me back to fix it all. And the rear bumper was rotton lol. I'm looking around for another one see if i can pick one up in better condition, however after my recent accident still a bit shakey about long distance travel.

Definitely walk away if there is rot. Rust can be sorted to a point, but rot makes the car worthless and dangerous because if you do crash it'll just crumble.

A good way to tell the difference is to push a key into the rust, and if the key goes through, or the bodywork feels soft, then it's rot.

There was deffinatly rot under the passenger seat and the bumper, the arches wern't to bad but tbh im suprised it passed its mot. Ive joined the club g40 forums aswell as they have a lot of g40s for sale and what i can do to get the most out of it. fingers crossed eh

There was deffinatly rot under the passenger seat and the bumper, the arches wern't to bad but tbh im suprised it passed its mot. Ive joined the club g40 forums aswell as they have a lot of g40s for sale and what i can do to get the most out of it. fingers crossed eh

Good call tbh. Forums are good place to buy as they should have been looked after by an enthusiast. Keep us updated! I wanna see this track car build.

Don't see too many G40s these days, one of my daughters ex's is a VAG nut and has a G60 Corrado after dabbling in some Polo's. He knows his stuff and frequents a few forums and clubs.