IPad in the car

annetkodde

Car
No Car
Eay

I'm working on a new design of a mid-console for a car.
We want to make the interior very interactive with intelligent systems.
The instrument panel will be a digitall display and we also want to integrate an IPad in the mid-console.

I'm very interested in whether you like the idea of having an IPad in your car.
It can interact with the digital instrument panel and also with other parts of the car (like the aircondition and heaters), of course it also has connection to internet, navigation, entertainment etc.
The idea is to make a nice looking, handy and safe casing, which practicly is an redesign of the mid console.

What do you think, are you waiting for this kind of product?

I like the idea of it if thought through properly. For example it would obviously need to be detatchable or it would be exceptionally expensive to have in your car only. Also it would need to be able to be turned on its side for some programmes so that may limit the idea in some instances or potentially the space available.

I think the principle is good but there is already computer consoles for cars at the moment but I don't think that they have been hugely successful. (This may be down to cost and being unable to remove them from the car as mentioned previously). I think it would be good if you had some pre-production designs to post them on here and get some feedback.

Any other takers?

hey and welcome to the site mate.

im not an apple person so i wouldnt have one lol

but within a week of the original ipod being released there were people that had intergrated them into the dash and even had them removable

I like the idea of it if thought through properly. For example it would obviously need to be detatchable or it would be exceptionally expensive to have in your car only. Also it would need to be able to be turned on its side for some programmes so that may limit the idea in some instances or potentially the space available.

I think the principle is good but there is already computer consoles for cars at the moment but I don't think that they have been hugely successful. (This may be down to cost and being unable to remove them from the car as mentioned previously). I think it would be good if you had some pre-production designs to post them on here and get some feedback.

Any other takers?

Thanks for your answer.
And the others, thanks for the welcome.

I'm not yet the the stadium of giving some pre-productions, but by the time I will post them for feedback. The important question is whether the IPad in the car has more value than the already excisting displays/boardcomputers.
What would use an Ipad for in the car? Cause we're also planning to make the apps. Would you let your tablet take over driver functions or is that taking away your driving pleasure?

quick answer for me - i already have a computer in the car.

id want all my music at a touch of a the screen - this is where the ipad would have issues
GPS
code reading
movies
internet
as for does it have more value than whats already in the car. no not really its just another toy

It is a good idea, use the OBDII data to drive digital displays of engine parameters (power, engine temp, intake temp, rpm, gear change light and use the accelerometer/gps to provide data logging, acceleration times and virtual dyno readings.

The IPAD will need to be either permenantly fixed and integrated or removable to prevent theft. If it replaced the radio,mp3 player and offered sat nav you'll be on to a winner!

I like the idea of having it both as an entertainment system i.e movies and music but I think it would be pretty good if you could put some wizardry into it like boost gauges, temp gauges, mph, rev meter etc.

This would be good as it could justify the cost as you would have no need for all the gauges and pillars in this instance. Problem here is reading the display as generally it means taking your eyes off the road to look at it, depending on the car, which probably isn't the best idea.

Other ideas could be to have a program to monitor driving conditions based on weather reports and updates on traffic live feeding into sat nav.

Overall there are a lot of opportunities there for a good set up. In terms of adding value I don't think is a great question as it is esentially another toy to play with rather than a value piece.

Great Idea ! I would say Mac Mini instead.... That way you could still use the TV with it...

Well that warrants the purchase of another couple of Euro Lottery lucky dips for tomorrow night I think :)