Stretched tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on stretched tyres? (This is where a narrow tyre is stretched over a wide rim.)

I'm just not convinced this is safe or adds anything to the handling of the car. I suppose it's done to allow the tyres to clear the wheel arches where wide wheels are fitted but it seems like a big bodge to me.

Update (We now have an article covering the legality and safety of stretched tyres.)

Attachments

• stretched-tyre.jpg
    stretched-tyre.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 11
  • stretched-2.jpg
    stretched-2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It was done originally to comply with European rules saying that the TREAD of the tyre must not protude beyond the width of the bodywork. Something to do with road borne detritus getting thrown up into the air.

Personally I think it looks revolting at best and perverted at worst. It's also extremely dangerous in my opinion.

Although the defenders of stretched tyres will say that they are perfectly safe, When at the Retro Rides Gathering last year, every car with stretched tires that went on the track, popped the tyres off the rim.

:lol: FSUO covers a multitude of sins then Herb! (I bet they drove the cars to the show like it though!)

I saw an example of this parked up at the Briley coachworks and I thought it looked terrible! I just would not feel safe in the car.

Stretching tyres originated in Japan, it is properly used by drifters to DECREASE grip to aid in drifting.

But as with all these things the Corsa driving chavs have latched on to it cos they thinkz itz wikked.

Stretching tyres originated in Japan, it is properly used by drifters to DECREASE grip to aid in drifting.

But as with all these things the Corsa driving chavs have latched on to it cos they thinkz itz wikked.

That's right, something the Japs do to stop them popping off the rim is run ridiculously high pressures in them as well also helping to decrease grip but a good point to make is that they drift them to destruction, they don't plan to drive home on the same tyres afterwards.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely that we're going to started a Stretch Fitted Tyres forum here.

Hideous, isn't it?

Attachments

• photoskim014.jpg
    photoskim014.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 12
It just looks wrong, all it does is show off a part of the rim that shouldn't really be seen. How do tyre fitters do it anyway, and is it ethical to let someone drive off with tyres you (the fitter) have stretch fitted?

apparently running tyres too small for the wheels they are on is illegal in Germany, they are so sensible over there aren't they.

Last edited:
I think the Police would frown on this and probably try and report the driver for having a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

I think stretched tyres look awful.
puke.gif

Not to mention the possibility of kerbing your alloys
Pullhairout.gif

I've always preferred to run tyres that overhang the rim slightly. My Wofrace alloys are 8J and I run them on 235 40 17s which seems ok.

Sounds about right mine are 7.5J and 225s sit on them nicely. This also happens to be the factory fitment anyway and it doesn't want for grip.

Looks like I'm the only one then!!

I'm running 8J ET 22 and ET 17 rims with a 215/40/17 tyre. It gives a subtle stretch but nothing crazy like some of the VW boys do. So far there has been no difference in the amount of grip, in fact I must say it handles very well on them. The only thing is to keep your eye on the tyre pressure, which is of course something you would do with any tyre stretched or not.

When I get time over the weekend I will post some pictures up.

mine have a slight stretch cant remember if my wheels are 8j or 8.5 but with 225/40/18 tyres its quite subtle and i like them:bigsmile:

Looks like I'm the only one then!!

I'm running 8J ET 22 and ET 17 rims with a 215/40/17 tyre. It gives a subtle stretch but nothing crazy like some of the VW boys do. So far there has been no difference in the amount of grip, in fact I must say it handles very well on them. The only thing is to keep your eye on the tyre pressure, which is of course something you would do with any tyre stretched or not.

When I get time over the weekend I will post some pictures up.

Just about within the recommended limits.

Basically ANY modification you do to a car can be deemed as illegal as the vehicle use guidelines are so vague, its basically down to the copper on the day!

I have run tyres with silly stretch (215/30/16 on a 9J) and being into the VW scene i know a lot of people who have run even more extreme than that. Also being a Transporter OC member, there are some guys on there running stretched tyres on 2Tonne vans!

Basically with tyre stretching you have to have a certain amount of common sense, and be 110% with your maintenance, otherwise it will end in tears.

Can anybody confirm does DTM, Relly, BTCC or similar cars have stretched tyres?
If not, maybe there is no practical use of stretching? Just a question....thinking if someting is good then some racing category must use that?

I hate the whole concept. fit tyres of sizes and ratings approved by the manufacturer using approved rim sizes.

Anything else is insane. Apart from being dangerous in my opinion it also looks ridiculous.

Get a life you stretch tyre afficianados.

Can anybody confirm does DTM, Relly, BTCC or similar cars have stretched tyres?
If not, maybe there is no practical use of stretching? Just a question....thinking if someting is good then some racing category must use that?

No, they don't. They use race tyres fitted to the correct width rim for the tyre size. Race tyres can look stretched because they are of a different construction and designed to fit wheels an inch wider than the tyre. Road tyres are designed to be fitted to wheels an inch narrower than the tread width.

No, they don't. They use race tyres fitted to the correct width rim for the tyre size. Race tyres can look stretched because they are of a different construction and designed to fit wheels an inch wider than the tyre. Road tyres are designed to be fitted to wheels an inch narrower than the tread width.

I expected that. In fact any other answer would be surprise to me. ;)
Thought right question could be polite way to say what's going on. :lol:

I know its stating the bl**ding obvious but tyres come in different widths to fit different width wheels.

Of course there is some leeway but Ive always thought tyres were for gripping the road and therefore always imagined the tyre manufacturers knew best. silly me

On reflection i dont suppose it matters much on a VW camper as they handle like a deckchair anyway ( look the biz tho)

As I seem to be the only one who actually runs stretched tyres on here I suppose I will have to stick up for them.

They are only dangerous if the correct pressures are not maintained. A higher pressure is needed to do this. A normal tyre will need around 32psi, however a stretched tyre needs to run 36-38psi, depending on how stretched it is.

The point of stretching the tyre is you can gain clearance against the arches, and therefore run a wider rim and go lower. This is pretty much done for looks.

I agree that crazy stretches that reduce the contact patch by a significant amount is a little bit overkill and can often ruin the look, but I think slating the look isn't needed. It's also about the 'scene' you're in. Deep dished rims don't look the same with rubber hanging over the edge.