Beware of new THEFT trends

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There is a recent rise in the number of theft claims where the keys to the car have been stolen.

Leaving the keys hangin up by the front door is a bad idea. With a simple wire and hook they can be obtained by a thief through the letterbox.

Nice car owners houses are being targetted in smash and grab raids where keys are taken.

Car keys are taken out of jacket and coat pockets at restuarants as well, and the car is usually in the car park and easily identifiably.

Sadly some motorists are still stupid enough to leave the keys in the ignition whilst paying for petrol. (THIS IS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE SO DON'T DO IT!)

Then the final one is where a car is bumped from behind or there is an "accident ahead" or driver needing assistance. Most people get out of the car leaving the keys in the ignition and an accomplice jumps out of hiding, into your car and speeds away. Cabriolets owners have had rats/mice and two cats tied together thrown into the car at lights. When they jump out someone else jumps in and goes off with thier car!

It is surprising the amount of drivers still leaving their keys in the ignition whilst paying for fuel. I always lock mine when paying. As for other instances, not easy to have presence of mind when you have taken a decision to attend something or someone in what could be an emergency situation and fail to secure your own vehicle. Our car keys are well out of sight and reach! Actually they have to get past my dogs first! As for the convertable scenario, well not alot you can do about that is there! A hard one to tell the insurer! How many people on here would ignore that one?

Cabriolets owners have had rats/mice and two cats tied together thrown into the car at lights. When they jump out someone else jumps in and goes off with thier car!

The interior would be ruined wouldn't it? unless it was leather obviously, cat scratches and rat and mousse poo etc....

Theives are getting smarter, it's just a shame they didn't do it when they were 15 then things may have ended up a bit better for them, my keys stay in my pocket at all times but I do hang them up behind the front door because the door doesn't have a letterbox or any other holes, instead I used to have my post stolen :rolleyes: but that was sorted with a padlock.

I lock the car at petrol stations even when someone is inside it and it's usually the missus.

I lock the car at petrol stations even when someone is inside it and it's usually the missus.

The same here BFF! after all, I can always get another missus, but that car represents 5 years of solid hard graft and thousands of pounds spent! It is a lot more difficult to replace it in the event of a theft! :bigsmile:

I don't lock the car when the wife is in it, no-one will go near it! :lol: However if they did they would probably pull over with a few yards and give themselves up!

The same here BFF! after all, I can always get another missus, but that car represents 5 years of solid hard graft and thousands of pounds spent! It is a lot more difficult to replace it in the event of a theft! :bigsmile:

I like your style T9! You have listen'd to me well.

The force is strong in this one. :blink1:

:bigsmile:

My car is knocking on for a decade in age now so it's not a particularly likely target. There's better stuff round here to nick than a 528i.

I do take reasonable care and don't leave it unlocked - not intentionally anyway.

Stupidly I did once accidentally leave the Peugeot running ALL NIGHT in the drive a couple of years ago :-(

I will be more cautious though, on account of your timely advice.

I do take reasonable care and don't leave it unlocked - not intentionally anyway.

Stupidly I did once accidentally leave the Peugeot running ALL NIGHT in the drive a couple of years ago :-(

I will be more cautious though, on account of your timely advice.

this is classic, the look on your face must have been a real picture the next morning.

Heard of another last night, Keys were lifted from a jacket pocket in a restauarant! Car in the car park so was not hard to locate!

Thiefs don't have much to gain from trying to nick my car, I'm a paranoid freak who takes silly precautions at all times. Keys stays in my pocket or under my bed in a safetydepositbox along with all other keys and valuables, bolted to my beds underside :bigsmile: