Carbon Fibre Vinyl

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
For the small modification of wrapping stuff, carbon fibre vinyl can be effective and quick. But, what is you preference? Standard carbon fibre, metallic grey or white carbon fibre? Heres a pic:

Attachments

• 3m-di-noc-samples-all-3-small.jpg
    3m-di-noc-samples-all-3-small.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 10
If you like this sort of thing, then the colour and style to use will depend on the rest of the car.

As for my opinion on the stuff..........YUK!!!! :)

my preference.....proper carbon fibre, there is no substitute. It's very difficult to get the true carbon effect in print because it has depth, you will be able to tell the difference

my preference.....proper carbon fibre, there is no substitute. It's very difficult to get the true carbon effect in print because it has depth, you will be able to tell the difference

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I shan't :)

Each to his own, of course, but I hate pretend materials. IMO, if you can't afford the real thing, save up until you can :)

However..........if done properly it can look OK and only on close inspection can it be seen for what it is.

I suppose if you are only interested in superficial appearance then this is the way to go. It is similar to what we did MANY years ago; go faster stripes and rolls of plastic pin striping that shrank over time.

Does the CF vinyl shrink over time or when exposed to strong sunlight?

Depends on how long you have it for. Its quality made (not nonk) I think from 7 year outdoor vinyl. The interior is what I'd use the vinyl stuff for just because of cost and ease of use. However for the exterior I would use a carbon fibre skinning kit (http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Product...neItemId=faacd368-3e51-4bbf-bae2-0e3c209fcb0b)

Its real carbon fibre and the finish would be fantastic - and very durable. With the amount of cash I have and the ideas sourcing replacement parts is either ridiculously expensive or nigh on impossible to source (I'm only accenting parts of the car). I would buy a CF bonnet though, but again £££.

And old-git, of course it will be done properly :lol: ish

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I shan't :)

Each to his own, of course, but I hate pretend materials. IMO, if you can't afford the real thing, save up until you can :)

However..........if done properly it can look OK and only on close inspection can it be seen for what it is.

I suppose if you are only interested in superficial appearance then this is the way to go. It is similar to what we did MANY years ago; go faster stripes and rolls of plastic pin striping that shrank over time.

Does the CF vinyl shrink over time or when exposed to strong sunlight?

No the CF vinyl does not shrink over time! I must admit to having two things wrapped in CF vinyl inside the car; purely because there is no proper substitute in real CF yet, so this is merely a temporary measure, not a bad match up looks wise actually! ;)

No the CF vinyl does not shrink over time! I must admit to having two things wrapped in CF vinyl inside the car; purely because there is no proper substitute in real CF yet, so this is merely a temporary measure, not a bad match up looks wise actually! ;)

Same reason I'm going to have my stereo surround skinned in real CF and sprayed with a matt laquer to match the genuine (standard) CF centre console. I'd prefer a proper full CF surround for the reasons stated above but nobody makes one. I hate carbon vinyl, even the 3M stuff looks fake in real life from a mile off.

Same reason I'm going to have my stereo surround skinned in real CF and sprayed with a matt laquer to match the genuine (standard) CF centre console. I'd prefer a proper full CF surround for the reasons stated above but nobody makes one. .

The Carbon Weezel would make you one, it wouldn't be cheap but it would be excellent.

The Carbon Weezel would make you one, it wouldn't be cheap but it would be excellent.

I have his details that you passed onto me OG, as he gets a glowing recommendation from you, then that's good enough for me :bigsmile:

Just have to sort out the time to pop over to him with some ideas!

I have a car in the shop at the moment that has had a lot of carbon wrap put on it, exterior trim parts, dash items, he has even had the roof done.

When I was first told about it I thought, YUK, but now I have seen it, not so bad, it's not trying to be carbon, it is more of a texture than a look,

A place in Brimsdown, Enfield, London did it, called.......eeerrrmmmm

I am thinking.....you might not know this but 10 minutes have past..... still thinking

Totally Dynamic.......I must be getting old....

I have a car in the shop at the moment that has had a lot of carbon wrap put on it, exterior trim parts, dash items, he has even had the roof done.

When I was first told about it I thought, YUK, but now I have seen it, not so bad, it's not trying to be carbon, it is more of a texture than a look,

A place in Brimsdown, Enfield, London did it, called.......eeerrrmmmm

I am thinking.....you might not know this but 10 minutes have past..... still thinking

Totally Dynamic.......I must be getting old....

Well what a small world, I know Scott and the boys! have had a few things done by them, they are very good ;)

what put me off this was after seeing a car with vinyl CF bonnet. didnt look bad to begin with but faded to the point where you could see the paintwork through where the engine was

i think using the vynl would be best kept to inside the car, and save up for a proper CF exterior parts if the have them for your car if not well i dunno :s

I'm actually sold on 3M's DI-NOC cf vinyl, as it's not printed and does reflect light in the same way real carbon fibre does. I know some substitutes did look awful though.

A top tip here is to give a few coats of Lacquer to the piece once wrapped.
Gives it the extra depth that even the di noc vinyl seems to lack slightly ;)

Im going to be wrapping my T4's bonnet and mirrors in this stuff as all the carbon mirror covers iv seen look pants, and cant find anywhere that makes a bonnet. Strangely though i will be using real carbon on the dash :lol: