MapTun 400BHP coming soon

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Well now! since finally getting into the 300BHP club, 321 to be precise! I have been reinspired to find more horses! MapTun with Neo's have been evaluating a 400BHP set of performance mods which hopefully they will rubber stamp by November :bigsmile:

Have been told that the Auto box will be good for 325 only :( that will not deter me if the engine mods gets given the green light for commercial use.

These men already run some of there own cars with an awful lot more horse power. They design, build and test new innovations all the time, if something fails, its redesigned and they try again! when everything finally works and more importantly, works well, then they release the package for people who can then buy with complete confidence :bigsmile:

Watch this space :lol:

Is this a Saab built engine T9 or do they use something from GM for example. I'm not too HOT on my Saabs...

All Saab MA! GM did Saab no favours at all when the relationship was in the honey moon phase, they just helped in diluting the marque somewhat, a real shame :sad2: With Spyker on board now, am looking forward to bigger and better things :D

The car will remain a 2 litre for the 400BHP which is really wild when you think about it :eek: Only short comings will be the auto gearbox rated at between 325 and 360bhp depending on who you listen too, but my thoughts are, if it blows, buy another one! :lol:

Lol that's the spirit! Standard internals for 400bhp? That is good, you're looking at forged pistons and rods with most 2 ltrs by that sort of power. Sounds amazing, you've come this far so why stop now :) Didn't know Saab could build decent engines if I'm honest :p

Lol that's the spirit! Standard internals for 400bhp? That is good, you're looking at forged pistons and rods with most 2 ltrs by that sort of power. Sounds amazing, you've come this far so why stop now :) Didn't know Saab could build decent engines if I'm honest :p

Pistons and rods will definately be forged, as part of the package is a Garrett G30 hybrid, will be sending the cylinder head off to Rick Woods as it's the best that money can buy in my opinion! much better than the MapTun option. As for Saab and decent engines! to be honest neither did I :lol: it has been a voyage of discovery!

Sweet. I'm guessing you already have some impressive diff to help put the power down.

Has it affected your fuel economy much?

Sweet. I'm guessing you already have some impressive diff to help put the power down.

Has it affected your fuel economy much?

Had the Quaiffe LSD fitted ages ago in anticipation of going silly on the power! ;) Fuel economy, not really bothered to tell you the truth! the car is a company car, and I own the company, so if it needs it, then it can have it! :lol:

Saab have always done good engines, they did pioneer mainstream turbocharging...

400bhp through the front wheels tho? That'll be fun even with an LSD, or is it one of the new Saabs with the XWD system? They look very cool.

Saab have always done good engines, they did pioneer mainstream turbocharging...

400bhp through the front wheels tho? That'll be fun even with an LSD, or is it one of the new Saabs with the XWD system? They look very cool.

They do indeed look very cool! unfortunately mine is a 2003 which was before the XWD system, but after the works have been done, if the car needs it, then it will have it :)

Pistons and rods will definately be forged, as part of the package is a Garrett G30 hybrid, will be sending the cylinder head off to Rick Woods as it's the best that money can buy in my opinion! much better than the MapTun option. As for Saab and decent engines! to be honest neither did I :lol: it has been a voyage of discovery!

Oh I see engine rebuild as part of the package then....you're company is doing well! :lol: You're not wrong about Ric, you won't regret it.

Oh I see engine rebuild as part of the package then....you're company is doing well! :lol: You're not wrong about Ric, you won't regret it.

Well if I don't rebuild with stronger components, the thrill of 400 horses will be very short lived! but I know you already know this MA! :lol:

As for my company doing well! I scrape a living as best I can! ;)

Indeed,

I thought the later 2.0 litres were GM breed engines, but I don't know much about Saabs either so what do I know?...lol

it's not the power you need to worry about in the gearbox, it's the torque,

You could have a million hp and say...100ftlb torque (not likely I know) and it wouldn't blow your gearbox, however if it was the other way round then the gearbox wouldn't every survive, and saabs are very torquey cars and I dare say they are very savage on there gearboxs and drive train,

The 400 bhp gti6 lynx power conversion has that power though the front wheels, but it doesn't destroy gearboxes or tyres because of how it produces the power,

if mapped right then you shouldn't need to worry about your gearbox chap, :D

Indeed,

I thought the later 2.0 litres were GM breed engines, but I don't know much about Saabs either so what do I know?...lol

it's not the power you need to worry about in the gearbox, it's the torque,

You could have a million hp and say...100ftlb torque (not likely I know) and it wouldn't blow your gearbox, however if it was the other way round then the gearbox wouldn't every survive, and saabs are very torquey cars and I dare say they are very savage on there gearboxs and drive train,

The 400 bhp gti6 lynx power conversion has that power though the front wheels, but it doesn't destroy gearboxes or tyres because of how it produces the power,

if mapped right then you shouldn't need to worry about your gearbox chap, :D

Thanks for the heads up jarrus, that's the first bit of positive news i've heard concerning the gearbox! will have the car remapped at Viezu in Bromsgrove after the works have been finished. They have remapped it twice now after a succession of mod changes and each time I have been very happy with the performance :)

Last edited:
Do they live map your car on the road?

Hi jarrus, Viezu do indeed do a live map on the rolling road! I believe this is the only true way to do it properly! So many people out there are charging the same kind of money and mapping the car at the roadside, but this is not a true indication of what your car is really doing when it is being run up. They have an observation area for you to stand and watch them at work, also they constantly let you know what is happening and provide feedback and suggestions to you while actually taking onboard what it is that you are looking for in the cars performance. ;)

I recommend these people very highly! :bigsmile:

is it not map it on the RR then tweaked on the road.

They run it on the RR and then when they are happy, they take it out on the road and bring it back to you if they are happy for you to road test it! if you come back with a smile on your face! their job is done! :bigsmile:

400bhp and torque to match with front wheel drive. Brilliant!! Bonkers, yes, but still brilliant.

Wonder what Jagz thinks of this??

You might need to get the stability control code remapped as well to deal with wheelspin it would never expect in 6th gear :)

400bhp and torque to match with front wheel drive. Brilliant!! Bonkers, yes, but still brilliant.

Wonder what Jagz thinks of this??

You might need to get the stability control code remapped as well to deal with wheelspin it would never expect in 6th gear :)

You see! that's why this is a great site! information and knowledge aplenty :)

Cheers HDi will do!

Watch the BIK tax liability though if you run it as a company car

I know! tax man seems hell bent on trying to scupper any and all plans that us chaps may have in trying to enjoy life through the company a little bit! :(

Don't know how they sleep at night :confused: think they must have an awful lot of Horlicks in the cupboard :lol:

You can set in-gear boost with an AVC-R.

Many thanks for this MA! I will look into this and see if it can be utilised on my car. Everything else on a Saab with regards to the engine or turbo just seems to draw a sharp intake of breath from most people!
Your ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated ;)