Speed, acceleration or cornering grip

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which is the most important fun factor in driving out of...

Speed, acceleration or cornering grip (or braking - if you are RB;))

I'm torn between acceleration and cornering grip. As acceleration comes to an end too quickly I think I'll take cornering grip as my "Object d' desiree".

Last edited:
What I mean is... acceleration isn't any use without braking, and yes actually... braking hard with good brakes at the last minute into a corner is very fun.

All of 'em please

I've got to agree completely. Speed is nothing without acceration, acceleration is nothing without decceleration, deceleration is nothing without cornering and cornering is nothing without speed. Evidence...200MPH on the salt flats...big deal...cornering into your driveway...so what...braking for the yellow light...ho humm.... The intoxicant is the danger of messing one of them up or successfully executing them all correctly.

anyone and anything can drive fast in a straight line

True, but "driving fast" and "accelerating" are two different things. This is why different people can get very different quarter miles times in the same car, for example. You can also accelerate in a non-straight fashion lol.

True, but "driving fast" and "accelerating" are two different things. This is why different people can get very different quarter miles times in the same car, for example. You can also accelerate in a non-straight fashion lol.

It's also why a press on and purposeful driver will make better A to B times in a modest car than a slow driver will make in a high performance car,

seeing as i have a modified mini, accelleration is good, 0-60 in 9 seconds, but i like cornering best, always leave a long corner with a grin on my face :)

i know its not very special, but considering as standard it struggled to do 15 seconds, haha.

This is true. It dosn't matter how hard I try and get my motor to do 0-60 in 4.9 as the book says, Ill probably never acheavie it as I am not a pro. I like to think I am no slug behind the wheel, but I know people who can drive turbo cars much faster than others. Its all about your smoothness, your build up, winding up the turbo, and the gear change. I have been driving my baby for 6 months now, and, I am still learning.

Turbo driving is totally different to n/a driving.Having driven two single turbo cars,then a twin spool turbo on the same day,that single turbo is best.IMHO.

This is true. It dosn't matter how hard I try and get my motor to do 0-60 in 4.9 as the book says, Ill probably never acheavie it as I am not a pro. I like to think I am no slug behind the wheel, but I know people who can drive turbo cars much faster than others. Its all about your smoothness, your build up, winding up the turbo, and the gear change. I have been driving my baby for 6 months now, and, I am still learning.

One of the benefits of a car as capable as yours, some drivers will never be able to find its limits. These modern Evo's are incredible, you just push and push and they just grip and grip.

I know. I used to have a set of corners buy a golf course that I used to call the 50mph challenge. Just dont drop below 50 and you have done it. well in this bad boy, you can cruse it doing 60. Its mad.

I still get a real buzz from accelerating. The more Torque you have the more fun it is. Cornering fast is nice but it is the hard acceleration that does it for me.