DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
Met one of your guys today at BHP performance show, although I've forgotten your name, sorry. A bit about me I'm 21 and from London and drive a Satin Black Renault Megane, any questions feel free to ask Start of witha practice spray - a wing is good. Build up the paint in layers. I used about 15 spray tins of paint in the end I belive When it comes to removing the bumper it would depend on the car, I discovered that after removing all of mine, I didnt need to but for some cars, you would need to, I removed the bumpers, the bonnet and the front two wings, and then masked up everything else, when I done the car I didn't need to do any paint prep as the paintwork was only 3 years old, so I knew it was in perfect...
hey guys I'm looking at swaping my 2.6 mitzy sigma wagon 82/83 motor for the vr4 motor (4g63) any info on this would be great I basicly need to know if the mounts line up and the gear box will bolt straght on but anything will help incase I havnt thought of it
I'm considering doing something called a "Porsche Kit" in a few years, when I have more money and possibly a garage or house (yeah, I can rent a garage... $80/mo, I gotta convince landlord to let me install a $2000 9000lb lift, maybe I can sell it to them). I've heard of such a thing. I can't find one. Also, skip the engine. I want diesel. Yes I am a diesel whore. I've been googling around but it's like... hard. I see things about kit cars, but no "BUY CAR KITS" except the lotus. Am I missing it? "Kit car" and "Car kit" are crappy terms for searching. Just something to do down the line, should be fun. If no kits, I can one-off one from spare parts :\
I was just wondering whether there is anyone who has done vinyl window tint them selves. Ive watched videos on youtube but when ive asked people they say it isnt good the best way ive found is to cut it using the outside of the window, spray the vinyl and window with water during application so you can slide it into place then remove the water so it sticks Any adivice would be good Nice one
ok ive looked into painting my lower valances to visually lower the car. So for a practice i decided to paint some of the underbonnet parts so engine cover battery cover and top fuse cover all done. started small and worked up 1st the fuse cover ( center section of the battery cover ) sorta screwed this up with to thick a coats of primer it started to run then the battery cover. starting to look a bit better lastly the engine cover think i did a good job of this all 3 got 3 coats of black primer 4 coats of vw reflex siver paint then around 10 layers of clear coat. this was my mistake i should have used proper lacquer but i had the clear coat in the cupboard from painting something else. the heat from the engine has added a...
Hi All, I would like to get views people have on the up keep of Polished Alloy wheels (non painted or lacquered) as I have recently had my wheels refurbished and had the Rim stripped of the lacquer and paint I currently clean the wheels almost every day with soapy water then a good metal polish like Maguires Alloy Polish, I find that if I don't clean the at the end of every day the are quite hard to clean as they suffer from water staining if left for a couple of days, do many of you have "Polished Alloys" and if so how often do you clean them?
Hey im having abit of trouble with condensation building up inside both my headlights on a Punto Mk 2 W reg. Any ideas how to reduce or get rid of it? I heard 2 holes drilled in the top and bottom allow air to flow and evaporate the water but im unensure. If rather get a second opinion before i take a drill to it. Cheers
Hi. Ive been lookin at getting some plastic corrugated conduit piping to cover the pipes and cables in my engine bay, only i cannot find anywhere or anyone that sells any. Ive tried places like City Electical Factors, Bennets, Links, B&Q, Charlies, Wickes but no luck. This is the kinda thing i want...in blue tho: http://www.adtechnologies.com/images/Catalog%20Photos%20031.gif If anyone knows of of anywhere i can get some, if you could let me know, that would be great, Thanks
Pics are to follow right now i am just writing it so i myself dont forget what i am doing! Things you need : - A socket set or similar to remove the wheel bolts (17mm) - A degreaser to clean the wheels - Various grit wet and dry or glass paper. - Masking tape (around 2 rolls) - Several sheets of newspaper - A dust brush or similar - 800ml of Primer (usually 2 cans) - 800ml of Paint - 800ml of Clear Lacquer Firstly, you need to remove the wheels from your car. If you have no replacement wheels, you need to put the car on axle stands. Follow the guidelines in the Haynes manual or find secure points on the car as otherwise you could cause damage to the underside of the car and possibly find the floor inside the car has been pushed up...
for badly faded and dull black bumper plastics,heat up plastic with a heat gun and waft as if using an aerosol this will will return your bumpers or any faded plastic trim ,back to its former glory.hair dryers simply dont generate enough heat it has to be something hot and dont be scared to really heat up just be careful not to touch surface with the end of your gun.
Preparation is the most important part in any paintwork. Whatever is between the part and the paint (i.e. chips, scratches, grease etc.) will show through the layers of paint. That said, some colours are more forgiving than others. Ok, first things first, you’ll need: ~ Time. I can’t stress enough how important it is not to rush things. ~ Paint, this will no doubt be in aerosol form. You will need some plastic primer (also known as adhesion promoter), basecoat (you can use normal car paint) in whichever colour you wish to paint and some lacquer (gloss or matt, it’s your decision.) ~ Something to ‘key’ the part. In the trade we call it scotchbrite, it’s basically a rough pad used to remove the shine from a panel, and it leaves...
I'll throw this open with a starter question then. How do you change the wheel on your car? What safety measures should you take using a scissor jack, anyone got any tips on undoing really tight nuts or removing locking wheel nuts without the key? Write up a step by step guide on how to do this relatively simple but essential task or chip in with some tips and suggestions.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back