Your G.P.S. can be a bloody pain at times !

Geoff5050

Car
Focus Zetec S
On a recent trip down to the very rural,lovely Dorset countryside.Everything went quite well at first with the M50,the M5 and then onto the A303.After a dozen or so miles,I was immediately notified by the g.p.s.to turn on to a small B road ? This was the start of a nightmare drive,trying to negotiate S bends,Z bends,blind bends all the time the wife was having a little chuckle while I let go with a few extreme expletives.She also had a good laugh when we met a dirty great tractor or a farmers land rover coming towards us.Plus we had the joy of giant over-grown hedges scraping down the sides of the new car.Ultimately we made it to our destination a quiet little sleepy village named Halstock,needless to say the wife enjoyed the hair raising trip,especially as she was the one who programmed the damn GPS.

I drive around Dorset country roads all the time (cos I live here :)). Never a dull moment :)

I find it generally a good idea to take all satnav directions with a pinch of salt. If you arent sure about a road, pull over somewhere safe and check the actual map.

GPS lacks common sense. If a dangerous single track route with blind bends is half a mile closer than a main road it will usually suggest that.

The Sat nav is just a tool, you need to know where you are going and have a rough idea on the main roads, always stick to the main roads until you get really close to your destination.

Using my gut instinct I chose a route that worked out 10 mins quicker than the one the sat nav suggested. Finally when it rerouted a third time using my route our ETA was showing 10 mins earlier than the first route it showed me.

GPS lacks common sense. If a dangerous single track route with blind bends is half a mile closer than a main road it will usually suggest that.

The Sat nav is just a tool, you need to know where you are going and have a rough idea on the main roads, always stick to the main roads until you get really close to your destination.

Using my gut instinct I chose a route that worked out 10 mins quicker than the one the sat nav suggested. Finally when it rerouted a third time using my route our ETA was showing 10 mins earlier than the first route it showed me.
The funny thing about this holiday trip was I had already mapped out a route,so did not really
need the gps.Although a slightly longer route it used the better roads,and when were not in a hurry to get there.It wasn't until we were on the A303 that my wife decided to program in a new route on the gps which took us onto a different foute than the one I originally planned.All said and done I quite liked the diversion and it certainly made it more exciting in the end.