Young newbie wanting to drift

E

Etan22

hi people.new to this site but no stranger to cars bikes ect.Have built numerouse show and winning vehicles(mainly bikes) but my son(14) is fascinated by drifting.Despite his age,he can drive well.He wants to learn how to drift,but I've never done it.Most cars I have built were built to handle not slide.I have purchased an 05 plate rx8 for him as a base car.goes well for what it is.
Got a few questions,
Is this ok as a drift car.I have read many articles on this ,and I am still none the wiser.
I have found engine tuning,turbo kits,suspension ect and body kits.Thats all very good but once again I can't get a straight answer on the diff.Do I weld it or do i??
Also as I have no experience in drifting,are there track days ,clubs ect where we can learn.
Thanx for your time.I have lots of questions for another day.One last question.Where would I get a copy of the Teck rules ie what I need the car to have to make it track worthy is fuel cut off ect.
Thanx

Greetings buddy and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

I am unable to offer you the advice that you seek, but there are some marvellous people on here who have been there done that and directed the movie! You should not have to wait too long for a definitive answer to your questions! ;)

The diff of choice is a KAAZ 1.5 or 2 way clutch type as the Torsen type becomes an open diff if the both wheels are not on the road.

Hi and welcome.

Nooooooooooo, pull him back from the dark side! :)

Santa Pod run Driift what ya brung days. This might be a good place to start.

Doing a drift course to learn the basics is on my wish/bucket list.:eek:
I'm a firm believer in that an old dog can learn new tricks.:D

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Steve ,IMO there is more to drifting than meets the eye as there is to drag racing. Each discipline needs practice and skill to be really good at either one of them.
Static lo speed burnouts on the pad are a waste of time,$ and rubber but some seem to like them .I went to a burn out comp once to see what all the fuss was about and some goose blew the thres and damaged the rear panels and gets out and waves to the crowd like he is some kind of hero.
The best thing about my 1 and only look at a burn out comp was the wet T shirt competition ??

Last edited:
People saying drifting isn't a sport, The cars are slow etc. Have you actually looked into the pro drift cars specs... For example, Mad Mikes RX7, or the MX5 he is currently building. I'd love to see most cars stay with either one of them master pieces. Granted, the car park warriors with the silly little valve rattling, who has the loudest horn and of coarse the "Bet my burn out is longer than yours" are absolutely stupid, they give everyone a bad name who is interested in the sport, Such as myself. When i told a couple of friends I'm going to get into drifting properly, all I got was "What, in mc donalds car park in a saxo?" Does wind me up a little bit.

For reference of just one kind of drifters car out there : http://www.madmike.co.nz/cars
And i would recommend watching him drift up the mountain in his RX7, is a good watch :).

Agreed, each to his own. My response was slightly tongue in cheek :)

Rally boys have been drifting since the sport was invented, but only because it is quicker on the loose stuff.

Indeed, I Love watching rally events, the drivers are insane and with some of the angles they get and speed they can carry round a corner no wider than their car, it's rather impressive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back