Yes, I am a Newbie.

RMBBob

Car
Volvo 2005 V70 T5
Ex Royal Marines Musician. Organ: Flute & Piccolo: Bass Drum: Yeah! the smallest and the biggest.
Two years ago purchased a 2005 V70 T5 Ex Plod.
Last year passed RoSPA advanced driving test.
Coupla months ago installed a BSR ECU upgrade and sports air filter. She was 260bhp; now around 320bhp. And the petrol consumption is wonderfully low at only 21mpg if I don't treat pole position at roundabouts like Brands Hatch. Else 17mpg.
Sort of like a rocket now, but I would like to go to Mars rather than the Moon; so thinking about a sports downpipe/Cat, plus the cat back exhaust (not too loud though). Something like a 2.5" system with 200 cell cat, and 4" tailpipe: all stainless.
Unfortunately this would cost more than the £1700 I forked out for the "Snow Leopard" in the first place. (EBAY). I am 70 yrs young, retired and now playing bowls. Don't all ancients? !!!
She is white, and I took delivery in thick snow. Hence "Snow Leopard".
Lots of holes inside from police equipment; and lowish interior spec: but has
ABS - Dynamic Stability Traction Control System [I keep this switched off for more fine control on acceleration] - Anti Whiplash System - Numerous airbags etc.
Also I have fitted front and rear HD video cameras, just in case the horror happens. So far never had an accident in my life. Early this year I recorded a driver in front of me running a red light 10 seconds after it changed: I took her to court and she was convicted on my front camera evidence. A fine, court expenses and points on her licence.
For those of you who are still awake; I will say thanks for reading. Hopefully I can contribute to some of the threads here, and look forward to ingesting loads of info and advice.
Will try to add a vehicle photo.

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars.

All of us start of as a Grease Monkey, your user rank increases with your posts and depending on how many likes/contributions you make to the site. Get to 10 posts and you'll upgrade, get a new rank and will be able to upload pictures and post links in your messages. You'll get there in no time and you'll find us a really friendly bunch.

I come from the home of the Royal Marines school of music, Deal in Kent, did you spend any time down here?

Don't know if this reply is to you all or just the previous post to this. ?
But thanks to you all for a warm welcome.

To obi_waynne: Deal is where I joined in 1959, and spent a few years with the concert orchestra there; and got married the first time! Also from here I used to teach sailing in a whaler the depot had. Also bought a cheap HP write off small 18foot twin bilge sailing yacht; on which myself and a couple of friends sailed across to Calais most weekends.

To Yugguy: Thanks for the intercooler tip. What does it cool? as my engine temperature is normal so far.

To T9: What is a T9?

To st24: Do you do track days? if so, in what and where? Oh, I've just realised it's the site ranking that mentions 'track'.
I'll get the hang of it soon! o_O

Thanks again girls; umm..or Guys! :lol:

To T9: What is a T9?

It is the name of the first SAAB dealership aesthetically enhanced & higher performance package that I had fitted to the Beast many years ago.
It had the following: 18" wheels with Michelin Pilot sport 2 tyres, free flowing stainless steel exhaust, intercooler, leather dashboard facia, chrome door card & glove box finishing strips, ECU software update that took the car from 210 BHP to 252 BHP and bespoke external badges.

I can't tell if my "Likes" have registered.
They did, your finding you're way around ok already well done.

You can click Reply beside a persons comment to reply to that one person and it will quote their message like I have done in this reply to you. All people in the thread will be able to read the reply though. Or you can just do what you did and reply to each person in one message.

You can also use the @ sign and include users such as @RMBBob if you pause as you type the name you will be offered suggestions automatically on who fits what you've typed so far.

They did, your finding you're way around ok already well done.

You can click Reply beside a persons comment to reply to that one person and it will quote their message like I have done in this reply to you. All people in the thread will be able to read the reply though. Or you can just do what you did and reply to each person in one message.

You can also use the @ sign and include users such as @RMBBob if you pause as you type the name you will be offered suggestions automatically on who fits what you've typed so far.

Very helpful thanks.

Hi and welcome to TC forums from me \(^o^)/

Increasing your power output maybe maxing out your standard intercooler so increasing the capacity will help engine perform better. Dyno will show up any issues and give you an accurate power/torque level to work with for future upgrade routes.

Hi and welcome to TC forums from me \(^o^)/

Increasing your power output maybe maxing out your standard intercooler so increasing the capacity will help engine perform better. Dyno will show up any issues and give you an accurate power/torque level to work with for future upgrade routes.
This is the first time the intercooler has been explained to me.
Many thanx.

This is the first time the intercooler has been explained to me.
Many thanx.
As this vehicle is ex police T5 at 260bhp, although I have added BSR upgrade to 318bhp. Do you still think it need an intercooler upgrade.

I have found an intercooler at EuroCarParts, (£127) , but they say only "For Use When Thrust Sensor Fitted."
What is Thrust Sensor, and do I have it in my vehicle?
MRG Chippenham do not know, and neither do EuroCarParts. Weird!

Your time and advice is smuchly appreciated.

As this vehicle is ex police T5 at 260bhp, although I have added BSR upgrade to 318bhp. Do you still think it need an intercooler upgrade.

I have found an intercooler at EuroCarParts, (£127) , but they say only "For Use When Thrust Sensor Fitted."
What is Thrust Sensor, and do I have it in my vehicle?
MRG Chippenham do not know, and neither do EuroCarParts. Weird!

Your time and advice is smuchly appreciated.
Now on "PartsForVolvoOnline" they are quoting:- £399.00 so how do I know which to buy?
Haven't sent you to sleep yet have I?

@RMBOB - Howdo.

The intercooler helps cool the outside air coming into the engine - cooler air means denser which means more fuel which means more HP. If it wasn't there at all you wouldn't reach 200bhp never mind 260bhp.

When you remap you make the turbo spool quicker which gets air in faster, but hotter. On some cars the standard intercooler can't cope and so you don't get the full HP gains, but if T9 is right and he knows a lot more about these things than me, you should be ok on your Volvo.

I'd be wary of any IK that is as cheap as £127 quid as well.

When I was pondering T5s I found these:
http://www.europeantuningshop.nl/index.php?route=product/category&path=1663_1782
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=5948

If it turns out your intake temperatures are high on full boost you could look at an intelligent water spray. This will sense the air temperature going thru the IK and spray a fine mist onto the IK, cooling the air.

Cheers

Thanks everyone, I think I have the drift.
Never heard of intelligent water spray though. Does this entail sitting the wife under the bonnet with a second hand kitchen spray filled with water and a thermometer in her other hand?

Hello it's great to meet you. You'll love the forums and site, I spend loads of time on here and it gets quite addictive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back