Would you drive a car if it had a broken ....

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you drive a car if it had a broken brakes? What about if the car had faulty steering instead? What sort of things would you be willing to chance and what kind of faults make you walk instead?

:shock: No way! People who ignore things like this do not deserve the right to drive on the public roads. I have not driven Near lee since it failed its MOT on perished/split brake hoses and it stil has eight days left on the old ticket. If something happened and someone got hurt or illed I wouldn;t be able to live with myself.

What about a blown bulb - you see so many people driving with one headlight or tail light!

that kind of thing really annoys me, people driving wih just one light working, it only take 5 min to change them yet people wait and wait untill its flagged up in a service or somethin, as for brakes and sterring issues im with you fingers

My wiper linkage came apart on the journey home from work in terrential rain once. I was in the middle lane of the A3 aswell.

Had no kind of breakdown cover and couldn't fix it on the hard shoulder so had to drive home with my head out the window..

But other than that, no I wouldn't.

My friend has been driving round with a blown headlamp bulb for months. He still has the sidelight, but his dodgy light has become something of a trademark and he is too lazy to fix it. (I have even offered to do it for him if he buys the bulb..)

Some people! I told someone they had a brake light out 12 weeks ago and they still haven't fixed it. My car beeps at me if a bulb goes so it forces me to do it.

The reason for this thread was a guy drove into the back of me at a roundabout and his excuse was - "my brakes don't work i'm driving to the garage to get them fixed!" :shock: Thankfully there was no damage.

waynne said:
My car beeps at me if a bulb goes so it forces me to do it.

Jo moans at me if I have a light out. :rolleyes: :lol:

That guy going into you is unbelievable! What if that was a pedestrian crossing he was trying to stop at?

fingers said:
That guy going into you is unbelievable! What if that was a pedestrian crossing he was trying to stop at?
Or what if someone was carrying a bottle of Nitroglicerine or Semtex or even a dozen eggs across a road! It could get really nasty!

i remember getting into one guys car to move it for him, and when i started up the car it seemed fine and thw wheel turned really easy and then wend a bit hard and i though it was a bit weired, but i moved it never the less as it was liturally turning the car 180 and moving it one space further down, spoke to the bloke afterwards and said theirs somethin not right with his steering and he replyed yea i know the steering rack bolts have sheered on the sub frame so the rack is just sat their :shock:

i later found out it was like that for a period of about 2 months before getting it fixed with him using it everyday

A couple of years ago I went to the Goodwood festival of spee with my brother and his mate drove. Before I got into his mates car on my drive I asked if the car would make it there and back? He replied yes. I asked if he was sure? He replied "yes positive dont worry about it". Upon arrival to the camp site where we were staying, his car developed a grinding noise from the O/S/R. At which point I asked when he last checked his breaks and he replied "never have". So I ask how long have you had the car? he replied "Oooh about 5 years". :shock: At this point I hit him.

things are different over here.

Ive driven a car for ages with no front bumper, a nail in the tyre,
no air filter etc.

We have no MOT so if it runs and its doesnt attract the police attention, its fair game.

My last car (Fiat X1/9) had rotten bodywork to the point it used to skip and crab under braking!!!! Its gone now but not before i took the good stuff off it for my other one.