Workshop tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought it would be nice to pass on tips to each other so please use this thread for any little tips or shortcuts that help in the workshop. Perhaps you have a tip for dealing with a ceased screw or headless screw removal, sorting cross threaded spark plugs.

Here is mine - to remove a stubborn oil filter use a piece of course grade sandpaper and a rubber glove (yellow works best for blokes!). It will come off really easily.

most modern cars have pressed in wheel bearings. the best way to do these is to weld them out. once you have the hub off take the bearings out. then to get the inner race out put a heavy weld in the middle off the race at the peak once you have gone all round turn hub upside down and the race will fall out. and because of the heat the new bearings will just slide in to about an eight of a inch so you can just tap it home. then just cool it down and refit. i have done this on many cars and it never fails.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a nut or screw that you think will snap tighten it first before you undo it. you can always tighten a bolt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a bleed nipple that feels like it is going to snap pour a kettle of boiling water over it this is enough to free it
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope some of these tips are good for some of you

Ive got a phillips screw which has no head its totally worn away cos I used bad tools on it. Its holding the plastic cambelt cover on to the engine any ideas guys. As its recessed I can't cut a line in it and use a standard screwdriver. If I drill it out I dont know how to get the thread bit out.

billyo said:
Ive got a phillips screw which has no head its totally worn away cos I used bad tools on it. Its holding the plastic cambelt cover on to the engine any ideas guys. As its recessed I can't cut a line in it and use a standard screwdriver. If I drill it out I dont know how to get the thread bit out.

you could drill it and then use easy outs this is what i use on broken screws and bolts

when doing an engine rebuilt or any kind of work that involves lots of little bits, clear your workbench and lay them out on a piece of brown cardboard. Using a black marker number them 1 to however many you have then you'll know which order they came off, to go back on.

A bit anal i know but some stuff i do can be tricky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an awkward bolt head that refuses to come out cos its rounded, get a socket thats smaller than the bolt head ie 16mm use 15mm, heat up the socket if you can, and tap it with a copper mallet on to the bolt. Heat will expand it then it cools, clamping the socket. Use plenty of release spray and twist slowly.
This works well in Spline headed bolts and Torx headed bolts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a spring under serious tension and you want to remove it, get a piece of braizing wire, make a triangle "handle" at one end, then make a hook at the other. Loop the hook around the spring end you want to remove and pull.

I found Piano wire works best but any wire will do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regrinding Valves?? dont buy expensive gringing paste..make your own!!

Any household soap powder (i found Non Bio is best) and a mild green liquid soap that feels soft as your face (no names dropped there) mix it up and away you grind. It slides better than the paste, easier to clean off and if you have some spare, wash the grease off your hands with it.
Dont forget to moisturise you hands after as the soap powder strips your hands of it natural oils.

A Magnet - either dangle it on a piece of string or attach to a long screwdriver to pick up hard to get at screws that fall into the engine bay!

new one from me.

While down at the workshop, LOCK THE DOOR!!!!!

I was doing my engine and my mate came in, (not a clue about engines, just popped down for a "chat") came in a moved all my bits to one side that id laid out in order!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

A few choice words and he not my mate anymore.

All i can say is thank the lord for downloadable workshop manuals.

That is a nightmare :shock: . I lay out screws bolts in order as I take them off and know how frustrating it can be.

Which car were you working on?