Wobble bolts - a bad idea

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone here got any experience with wobble bolts?

If you have wheels that have a stud pattern very slightly larger than your hub the wobble bolts will fit at an angle allowing the two to be joined together.

In my mind this seems like a dangerous bodge but I note that some seasoned tuners and modders are using this method.

What are your thoughts on wobble bolts? Are they safe to use on wheels? What are the risks? Does it affect the tracking or wheel alignment?

I'd leave well alone unless it's for show car (ie. not driven apart from on and off the exhibiton stand or show ground) purposes only.

This strikes me as potentially dangerous as stretch fit tyres.

I'd leave well alone unless it's for show car (ie. not driven apart from on and off the exhibiton stand or show ground) purposes only.

This strikes me as potentially dangerous as stretch fit tyres.

Why, the wheel should be centered on the spigot, all the bolt does is hold the wheel against the hub, if the wheel doesn't fit on the spigot properly then yes you will be putting strain on the wheel bolt, but that goes for standard bolts as well. I have raced and rallied many cars and never in my life have I had a wheel come off.

Why, the wheel should be centered on the spigot, all the bolt does is hold the wheel against the hub, if the wheel doesn't fit on the spigot properly then yes you will be putting strain on the wheel bolt, but that goes for standard bolts as well. I have raced and rallied many cars and never in my life have I had a wheel come off.

Then again, some Renault, Peugeot and Citroen alloys have no centre hole. The whole hub/wheel assembly is held in place by the bolts.

What idiot designed this? And why?

Then again, some Renault, Peugeot and Citroen alloys have no centre hole. The whole hub/wheel assembly is held in place by the bolts.

What idiot designed this? And why?

No, even though they haven't got a hole through the wheel (why would you need one except for wheel balancing) they still center on the spigot.

I did find that the Peugeot I had needed wheel balancing every 2000-3000 miles. Possibly because of the fact that the lack of the centre spigot made it very hard to centre the wheel properly on both tha car and on the balncing machinery.

They seem to allow around 1mm of adjustment each, so allowing 98mm PCD to fit 100mm PCD. As this type of bolt/washer (called a ball and socket washer) is used in all sorts of highly stressed applications (tapered forgings and castings in the aerosapce industry for example), I guess there can't be a problem. The wobble bolts are sold by wheel suppliers (helps to keep stock levels down) so 'must' be safe to use.

However, personally, I wouldn't use them. Get wheels with the right PCD for your car rather than trying to save a few bob. If you buy your wheels from a decent supplier they will drill the holes to whatever PCD you require - I doubt you will get this service if you buy your wheels and tyres complete from a glossy add in a car mag :)

Last edited:
Same here.

Why go to lengths to make odd wheels fit, when you can so easily get wheels with the correct fitment?

I wouldn't use them personally, however 'safe' they may be.

Same here.

Why go to lengths to make odd wheels fit, when you can so easily get wheels with the correct fitment?

I wouldn't use them personally, however 'safe' they may be.

if you can get a rare set of wheels for a steal 2nd hand in PCD 98 and yours is 100. are you going to shell out the full amount for new wheels.
wheels im talking about are the ones that cost a few grand brand new rather than a couple of hundred for wheels and tyres

devils advocate here as i dont like the idea of them even if they are supplied as stress tested etc