Wiper blade suggestions

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I need a new set of wiper blades. Any recommendations of brands or models I should be looking at?

It normally just gets done at the time of the service and a generic wiper gets added but these are really really rubbish. I'd rather preempt this myself and get it sorted out and do it properly.

sounds daft but i have always found tescos aero/flat blade wipers to be really good :)

had them on vec gsi, 200sx, scooby and now on the challenger and never had any probs

dont flap about on the motorway like normal ones and they normally have them on bogof lol :)

sounds daft but i have always found tescos aero/flat blade wipers to be really good :)

had them on vec gsi, 200sx, scooby and now on the challenger and never had any probs

dont flap about on the motorway like normal ones and they normally have them on bogof lol :)

You must have a very comprehensive Tesco round your way. Isn't it a shame that Tesco can't get the food thing right as well?

Yup I fitted them. Or more precisely I asked my wife to and she did it without needing any help!:D

They are OK. One is a bit smeary and juddery but until I give the screen a good clean I don't know if it is the wiper or the screen.

Time to revisit this thread. I've used these single blade wipers for about 10 months now and I am really impressed.

Initially they did streak a bit but I think this was more to do with the old wipers allowing crud to build up on the windscreen. As soon as this was cleared they worked fine and are still as good as new.

I think this was a good purchase and actually is worth considering. I'll be curious to see how long they last. I think most blades tend to die after 2 or 3 years so I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

My old ones were Bosch and they were great new but in only 6 months they had become smeary.

I think the Bosch blades are over-rated. I used to use Champion ones which have a two part and much smaller spoiler. I think I have to use Valeo or Bosch with the E39, they look like a vehicle specific fitment.

Does anyone know anything about this?

It was the Neoforms I tried, sadly they didn't work well at all & going back to standard Bosch items showed a marked improvement. On my car the trico's didn't go across the screen smoothly & visablity in heavy rain at any speed was terrible.

It could be that being a fairly old car, maybe the wiper design just wasn't compatible with my wiper arms/screen. :confused::amuse:

Sort of side stepping the question but still on the same line, i have used Rain-x on my screens/motors for years. It is brilliant, you hardly need the wipers at speed as the rain just dissipates. It does work better on an angled screen, on the GTO it's superb, on the house brick styled Micra, it is effective but not quite as good. It may just be that by the time the Micra has built up enough speed to be of any good, the rain passed three days ago :lol::lol:.
I use Bosch blades and don't have a problem with them. The thing that people forget is that screens and blades do need regular cleaning. Road junk and bugs etc which adhere to the screen will damage the wiper blades if left in place to bake on.
A good screen additive in the washer bottle helps. Do not use washing up liquid, it congeals and blocks the washer jets, it also stagnates and smells like a septic tank.

i use bosch blade on my audi great blades

agree with c/b rain-x is good stuff use it on my bike crash hat as wiper blades dont fit lol

i dont like rain x as found it smeared at lower speeds. i am looking at G1 which is supposed to do the same but last 30k rather than 3 weeks as rainx lasts but without the smearing although the screen does need to be clean before application

i dont like rain x as found it smeared at lower speeds. i am looking at G1 which is supposed to do the same but last 30k rather than 3 weeks as rainx lasts but without the smearing although the screen does need to be clean before application

I've heard of this! can you give us some feedback pgarner? I would be very interested to hear what you think about this product ;)

i prob be ordering it in a couple of weeks after ive been paid along with the G4 to clean up the screen properly. it does have a lot of good reviews over on detailing world

I had a bad experience with rain x. On misty day the screen just fogged up and the wipers wouldn't clear it. In heavy rain it was superb and worked really well.

I loved driving around in the rain with no wipers on at all! I believe they use something similar on aircraft screens.

I really don't rate the Bosch blades. I had better results with Champions on the Peugeot and now I'm using wiperblades.co.uk's own brand ones on the BMW.

These ones are actually made by Valeo; they're car specific and cost me under £11 incl. VAT and delivery. Which is superb value.

So far they've proven to be faultless. Which is far more than I could say of my more recent experiences with Bosch blades.

I'm not sure that the Bosch name is quite the mark of quality it used to be.

Their domestic appliances are superb but in the automotive aftermarket parts environment I'm not so thrilled as I once was.

I'll try them again maybe but if these re-branded Valeo items stand up to the test of time (I usually change my blades every year anyway) then I might just fit the same again.

I'm still using wiperblades.co.uk and I've not been dissapointed, I've not had to replace any yet so they seem to last quite well.

Current lot are from the 2012 Saab range, quite good actually performance wise but I will be replacing them very shortly with the same again.

I use Rain x and have no problems with misting etc BUT it is most important to thoroughly clean the screen beforehand.
Remember when all else fails follow the makers directions/read instructions.