Winter Checks

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Hey guys - Winter is here (Northern Hemisphere at least cos I know we've got some members from down under!)

Have you all checked your Tyre pressure, Anti Freeze, Oil Level, and Screen Wash levels? (Be honest - I bet you only check them once a year!)

checked my cars over and all good. now i need to do my monkey bike so thats tyres and chain............................ all done :lol:

Do mine every week (or ten) Oil was pretty low though! Thanks for the reminder!

Still in winter. Last night I left the cinema at 5.5 degress and 20 minutes drive later the temperature had dropped to -1! Thats one of the fastest temperature drops I have ever seen.

yeah it wasnt bad last night i got in and it was around 8 degrees granted that was around 6 ish this morning at 5 it was minus 2.5

tyes checked every week, oil once a month, screen wash when the alarm goes off i think it goes off around 1 ltr left. the anti freeze whats that ???????? only time i have ever check it was in the civic after i flushed the system and refiled it

Winter??? In Northampton we had sunshine for most of the day! I was driving with my windows down!! Checked under the hood last week...everything fine!

Does anyone use different grades of oil in the summer/winter? My grandad always used to but I've not really seen the point of it with modern multigrade oils.

Does anyone use different grades of oil in the summer/winter? My grandad always used to but I've not really seen the point of it with modern multigrade oils.

There is no need to change oils for winter and summer, especially in the UK where the winter/summer temperatures are not that far apart compared to some more brutal parts of the world.

What is important is that the oil stays in grade during its service life. Full Synthetics are hard to beat in this respect, but even some of these can be mis-described. For example Castrol's Magnetec stuff is based on sytheteic technology. It is not a fully synthetic oil. Interestingly, Mobil 1 is the same!

I've long been a fan of Millers oils but have recently defected to AMSOIL's newly introduced fully synthetic 5w/40 diesel oil.

Some cars are running 0w/30 or even 0w/20 oils now, which are incredibly light. I sometimes wonder if fuel economy is championing over engine life but I have no evidence to back up this thought.

Don't be tempted to use oils of a higher viscosity than specified. You'll get poor cold circulation and when hot the oil film can actually tear away from moving metal parts because it's too viscous.

Don't blend viscosities to create your own oil - the additive packs are totally different between grades even from the same manufacturer. And don't mix synthetics with those from other manufacturers even of the same grade. I know of a Jaguar S-type that siezed at less than 20,000 miles as a result of this!

Likewise, aftermarket additives are definite no go areas. The only exception is flushing agents, although they shouldn't be used unless you have a specific contamination problem. The only way to diagnose such an issue is to send an oil sample to a lab for analysis.

There's a good guide here;-

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

RGds,

Paul.