Wing endplate design?

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
I need to make some end plates for my rear wing, is there anything I should be aware of? I'll probably make them out of carbon fiber, but might use aluminium.

Wing end plates help to increase the effectiveness of the rear aerodynamic parts. Helping to make sure airflow is ducted to the rear wing and doesn't spill over the sides, while reducing drag. Rear wing end-plates effectively make the wing span operate as if the span was a lot bigger- while retaining a more compact design.

Without wind tunnel time and some serious calculations there is no way us amateurs can work out the optimum size/design of the end plates. However 75-100mm above the wing upstand and 150-200mm below will work pretty well. Increasing these dimensions may increase downforce but I doubt that you will notice. The bigger the end plates the greater the forces acting on them in corners so have to be appreciably stronger (and heavier).

How do you plan to attach them to the existing wing?

Cheers OG, that's just what I needed to know.
end plates will be held on with 4 screws, (don't take to much notice of the way the wing looks at the moment, it will hopefully look quite different to what it looks like at the moment.)

What are you hoping to achieve with this wing? Tidy up the air leaving the roof so reducing drag or actual downforce?

Two more questions :)
As it is a split wing, will it adjust automatically or will you lock it together into one wing?
If you don't make it one piece, how will you support the ends?

The intercoolers are going to play havoc with the flow over the wing (even with a shroud/scoop over them).

I am no expert on these magical things, but it seems too close to the roof height so won't be working in clean air. You may find it will create a lot of drag but very little downforce. However, it may act as a spoiler and improve the air flow over the back of the car reducing the low pressure area caused by the slab rear end.

Not meaning to sound negative, but you did ask :)

Only one way to find out.......... :)

Like everything on the car, it will be very much suck it and see, I have a plan for supporting the ends of the wings ;)