Torque Cars

Why is it so hard to select first gear

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by thexav, 3 December 2019.

1. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    Every car I've ever driven I've noticed it's really hard to select first gear when the car is rolling along.

Why is this? I know cars are often fitted with a mechanism to prevent you selecting reverse when the car is rolling forward but do they do something similar on first gear?

Surely if you are moving in slow traffic you may need to select first gear whilst the car is moving.

Do all cars have this glitch?

2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Sorry I am no help as I am old school have been double de clutching and rev matching forever.

3. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    Third gives me an issue in my Scooby, but that's a thing with my car. Never had a thing as you describe for first gear.
    Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it :rofl:

4. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    There is no syncromesh on first gear. If you blip the throttle and match the engine speed to the transmission speed in first you'll get a smooth gear change.

Proper drivers always rev match, going back to the days cars didn't have a syncromesh to match the gearbox speed to match drivetrain, engine speed and road speed.

I sometimes wonder if modern drivers would cope with a car that had an old non syncro gearbox with dog tooth gears.

I guess manufacturers assume first is just for pulling away and save money and weight here, but I'm interested if there is a real reason for the lack of a syncromesh on first gear.

Lunchmoney likes this.