Why do I hear a clunk when gear change in 1,2,3,gears, also hear it on idle when depressing clutch

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
Feel like giving up on cars, my current car has cost me a lot of money and had it about 9 months and probably spent £2500 on repairs already, paid £950 for head gasket job ( found out later only Waterpump was replaced) a week after buying the car, since then it has had LOADS spent on it.
Every single one of my previous car;s was the same, example paid £590 for Astra, had it 3 years and spemnt £4,000 repairing it, had to scrap it in the end for £90.

Found out yesterday that head gasket is gone after did a chemical test, car runs great other than having to put a little bit of water in coolant once a week ro so but will get it replaced soon, a friend said he would do it for £400 inc timing belt and I'd have to pay an extra £30 or so for machine work.

HERE IS MY QUESTION , PLEASE HELP

I have been hearing a clunk noise ( first heard 2 weeks after buying car) , I can only hear it sometimes and it is usually is gears 1,2, and 3. also you can hear a clunk noise every time you press in clutch and then take foot off clutch when at idle,
Car goes into every gear absolutely perfect with no hesitation whatsoever.

We checked gearbox oil briefly a few months ago and looks to be very tiny bits of metal or something in it, but friend said gearbox oil looks very old and said if we drain and refill it then hopefully it will cure the problem.

transmission light comes on/off often too but could be due to needing transmission oil drained , what do you think ?

any advice greatly accepted

ty

You've not had much luck with cars then. Are you buying them off "friends" if so you need to change your friends!

It could be the clutch release bearing making this noise. There could be a missing or damaged gear tooth and the clunk is this gap being taken up as it reconnects. I don't like the sound of metal in the oil as this will dramatically accelerate engine wear.