Why did you mod your car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your reasons for modding your car?

Some people just like modding for the sake of it. Others long for more power wheras some are just trying to improve their car a little. I also know people who just wanted to see how far they could increase the power.

Why do you do it? Is it just to have something unique and say that's mine or do you have other reasons?

Curiousity really. I wanted to know what a remap could do for a modern diesel engine so I tried it. It's not as if the 2.2HDi is slow in stock tune but I did not expect the level of performance I got! So I've kept it that way ever since! I also didn't expect the improved economy either!

My mods were to allow the engine to breath more and give it a 'how it should look and sound" Other mods were to make it a little different to the others out there, personalise it a bit. Future mods are to squeeze some more power out of it and get it to handle a bit better as I will be doing more track days in 2009.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the NOS system :D

well the main reason i went for a remap is because i was actually disappointed with the standard performance it was slower than my previous car a mk3 astra gsi but it was like a totally different car after the map but then i started getting used to the power and started wanting more thats how my car ended up as it is today

I wanted to mod my car, as not many people had done the same thing to a Rover25 derv, now there are lots of people doing it. Some crazy power is available from these cars now, all thanks to tuners like myself willing to go the extra mile.

I also wanted to upset the normal image of rover drivers, we're not all about 70, and have a tartan rug on the parcel shelf (ok, stamford might tho :p):lol:

Cheers
Dave

Don't worry mate, I used to drive a Primera - those, too, have a car cape and trilby image. Strange as they're one of the finest handling FWD cars ever made. TN69 should know - he still drives one!!! Albeit he's somewhat younger than I am. Like most people on here really

I also wanted to upset the normal image of rover drivers, we're not all about 70, and have a tartan rug on the parcel shelf (ok, stamford might tho :p):lol:

Cheers
Dave

I'll have you know my tartan rug is safely stored in my garage in readiness for the forthcoming picnics ;) Not a tissue box in sight either!

Anyway, I'm not quite ready for the 75 as yet :lol:

What are your reasons for modding your car?

Some people just like modding for the sake of it. Others long for more power wheras some are just trying to improve their car a little. I also know people who just wanted to see how far they could increase the power.

Why do you do it? Is it just to have something unique and say that's mine or do you have other reasons?

Because I want to p*ss all over the ricers at TOTB :)

i mod my car just for the sake of doing something to it
2009 will be the year i really mod the engine though

Simply put, I wanted my car to be everything I know it could be.

The BNR34 is, according to me, a gorgeous car by appearance in its standard shape, and peformance-wise it holds it own against many a more expensive car. But there's no such thing that it cannot be improved, and of course one would want to add a bit of personal touch to it.

Crikey, I would notice that if it was flying past :blink1: :bigsmile:

It does truly shift as well. Not in an OK for a diesel way but in a petrol V6 three litre shaming kind of a way. 4th gear 50-70mph around 3 seconds for example. It's all down to massive torque with diesels. The peak BHP is just over 190, which is more than enough but not 'write-home-aboutable"!

Torque of 320 plus lbft is though.

But, yep, you'd not notice anything unusual about the styling as there's NONE apart from whatever Peugeot applied at the factory.

That's what I meant.. I read what you put in your post in another topic :p

That is pretty impressive really, bet you have shown some people that a Diesel Pug is actually pretty good :)

Waynne I Have been modding cars for years I started in 1973 and still love it/ you make you car your own, your shape /your colour/ your power output? whatever

They can be made to go very well. The 2.2HDi is a much better prospect to start with than the 2.0HDi.

There's a lot of differences to the engine besides just 200 more cc capacity.

Twin camshafts and sixteen valves over the 2.0 litre's eight valves. Balancer shafts, hydraulic engine mountings. oil/water heat exchanger, auxilliary oil cooler, oversize intercooler. The fuel rail also runs at higher pressure than the 2.0 and the injectors are of larger capacity. This is all standard kit as delivered.

Basically, Peugeot undertuned this engine in stock form, I think simply to make some room for the V6 petrol in the model range. Had they taken it up to the level mine is at (which is still conservative) with different ECU code they might well have struggled to sell the V6 petrol ones.

That's some interesting information actually :)... Might have to bare that in mind in future.

Only cat 14 insurance too which isn't too bad, once you get a few years of insurance discounts under your belt :)!

THey do load the premium slightly for a remap, they also increase the compulsory excess but it's worth it. I also get consistently better fuel economy with the car in the overtuned state compared to factory tune.

I modded/am modding my car because i love the idea of my car being unique, and its a never ending rolling project if you're an OCD nut like me. It forfills my natural blokish needs and frankly i'd not really want to do anything else with my spare time than tinker about under the bonnet.

At this current time i'm having to settle for a 1400cc 8 valve 80 odd bhp clio 'S', for insurance reasons may i add, but im seeing it as a learning curve for future projects and to be honest the clio is such a versatile design, that there are already so many companies out there that accomodate the kind of modifications i can apply.

Either way, keeps me off the crack ;-P

Somehow I feel rather young in the company of such old, distinguished and respected gentlemen as yourselves. :toung:

Heck, I think it's time to put an advance order on a coffin, I'm approaching 30! :sad2:

I'm modding my car because I want to build a feature car. It's been a dream for a long time and I feel I can achieve this with the Civic.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back