Who makes which tyre??

jasio1978

Tuner
Car
chrysler 300c
http://www.tiptop-tyres.co.uk/who_makes_which_tyre.html

Found this page whilst surfing, and thought id ask people for their thoughts.
I know that to some extent, you get what you pay for, and that when in the market for tyres, there are alot of things to consider, but does a budget tyre improve if you know it comes from a more high profile manufacturer. Or is it just the big companies trying to up sales by dipping into another part of the market. Most people dont need, or cant afford the best tyres out there.

It all of them really. For example, I've got Lassa Impetus Sport tyres on the front of the E39 and they are the same as Bridgestone's Potenza RE720s I used four-five years ago. Made in the same factory. And Lassa is indeed owned by Bridgestone. They also perform brilliantly.

BUT, Bridgestone's current offerings will have moved on. So there is always a good reason to buy the top branded premium tyres if you can afford to do so.

Cost no object i would be doing just that. At the moment, cost is an object so have become a thorough researcher of midrange tyres. I won't entertain the real cheapies (Wanli, Linglong, Nankang etc) but many people report good results with these.

The ownership of a brand alone is not a reliable guide to quality and performance (all aspects thereof).

I have Nexen N2000 on the back at the moment, the fact that there's an association with Michelin is not enough to inspire me to buy them when these need replacement. But, then again, they work very well.

On the contrary, I fitted Goodyear NCT3s to my Nissan in 1999. Supplied by Just Tyres, Oxford Road, Aylesbury - I have no qualms naming the supplier and fitter.

They were horrible. Slid all around the place, wet or dry. Made in New Zealand. I contacted Goodyear UK and was told that those tyres are designed for use in Pacific rim countries where daytime shade temperatures are frequently in excess of 110 Farenheit. And that Goodyear UK has no part to play in the supply of those tyres to the UK.

Clearly not much good in the UK then. So I took them off and had 'em replaced with 'proper' European made NCT3s. These were supplied and fitted by One Stop in Thame, Oxon. (Thanks due to Nick at One Stop for his superb knowledge and advice).

Just Tyres denied responsibility, telling me that the tyres were E-marked and were therefore UK legal. They were thus marked, so any chance of a legal case being pursued and upheld was unlikely. I left it be on that basis.

JT should be thankful that no RTC occured otherwise I suspect I would have had a very strong case against them indeed.

I am not concerned if Just Tyres' read corporate marketing bods or legal bods read this thread. I am simply reporting facts. I cannot be found guilty of libel or slander simply by reporting facts.

thats a well good point paul.
a sub company could be aimed at one area's conditions only like you stated, but marketed further afield.
I had some good advice on here a little while ago when looking for new tyres, i too have the nexens on the rear, so far so good, only about 500miles in, and mainly motor way at that.
If i could have stretched to it id have gone for the mitch premicy i think.

i did wonder if the bigger names used their older designs for the cheaper end of the market. why spend money on more development of cheaper products.

Last edited:
Yep, me too. Although I'd probably have gone for Conti Premium Contact II over the Primacy but that's just personal preference.

I didn't fit the Nexen's - I bought this car recently; it was an emergency purchase basically. I did have the Federal S535s removed from the front almost immediately - didn't like them at all. Always felt like someone was tinkering with the front wheel toe settings every time I turned the steering wheel.

I will replace the N2000s with Lassa Impetus Sport (as per the front axle) once they start to get down to around 3-4mm tread. I am a great advocate of fitting the same tyres all round - it gives the stability management, ABS etc the best chance of making the best decision should you inadvertently overdo it a bit. But I'm not the kind of driver who constantly explores and exceeds the limits of a car.

Last edited:
There's also a brand called Viking (which is, I believe, owned by Conti). The Protech II is a decent assymetic pattern tyre available in a multitude of fitments.

As good as a Conti Premium II ? NO, sadly not, but not that far adrift.

Conti Sport contact 3's are one of the best tyres money can buy at the moment, and in an evo mag test they came top, (i think I posted this somewhere else on this forum) and interestingly Uniroyal rainsports were tested and came second a head of some more repectable brands (since you mentioned them) they take everything into consideration and conducted a proper scientif test using proper equipment that measures water displacement in the wet and stuff that measures contact patches on the ground in different coditions etc,

So even midrange brands are muscling in on the big boys

The midrange tyres will muscle in but the big brands will still invest more money into R&D, thus keeping them generally ahead of the pack. There are exceptions, however. Pirelli comes to mind as one brand for which I have no respect whatsoever.

Last edited:
Yeah it does seem that way, Pirelli are dragging there feet these days.

They don't seem to offer a viable alternative to the likes of all the other big brands.

Don't know about wear as haven't had them on long. Michellins Primacy tyre is very wears very well. One of the rears on mine got changed around 29000 miles and it wasn't on the limit it was only close.

The Primacy's lasted around 15k on the front IIRC. And I do drive the car very hard. Well impressed with them TBH.

The 406 did have an enormous torque figure which didn't help extend the tyre life. And I did have a propensity to deploy it as well.

I'm hoping with a RWD car now that the wear will even out a bit rather than it being FRONT FRONT FRONT tyres all the time.

Cost no object I would almost certainly fit Primacy HPs to the BMW next time round

I can get the tyres cheaper but you would have to include fitting

£85.70 inc.VAT from camskill in 225/55/16 95 W guise, the 95 V are a bit cheaper

I can get the tyres cheaper but you would have to include fitting

£85.70 inc.VAT from camskill in 225/55/16 95 W guise, the 95 V are a bit cheaper

It has to be W rated according to the approved tyres page in the handbook. Not sure why because the listed top speed is 147mph and a V tyre is approved for 149mph. And I don't drive at 147mph all that often.