Which car if fuel was cheaper

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you could buy fuel a lot more cheaply, say half of it's current cost, what car would you buy or would you stick with the one you have?

I would probably go back to a high power petrol engined car as fuel is a pretty big running cost for me.

Fuel price has never been a factor in vehicle choice. For example, my Chevy Blazer (when working) managed around 17mpg, but I lived with it as it was very comfy and useful.

However, having had to drive a VW Fox (given to me by mother-in-law) I now understand why people forego comfort for economy. The Fox saves me around £2500 a year. That's a set of wheels and nearly a set of tyres (for the Elan)!

Does not bother me in the slightest what the fuel price is. If the tank is low then I fill it up again. Very pleased with the thirsty chariot I drive around in ;)

Last edited:
As my commute stacks up to 350 miles a week, not including social, I tend to watch what I do as I am working to a budget. However if fuel was that much cheaper I may be swayed towards a V8 version of the Disco, just love the noise and a bit more poke. Saying that I am more than happy with the diesel version.

It didn't seem that long ago when we used to go out and about or travel afar and not think about the cost of fuel or how much we were using. Totally different today as always keeping an eye on the usage and cost to fill up. Last Friday it cost me from empty to brim just over £100.

^^ Funny you should mention that Yugguy, a friend of mine bought a Jaguar XJS V12 in the summer. He first fell in love with it when he saw "The Saint" on the TV with Ian Ogilvy. I must ask him what he gets out of the monster to the gallon.

Even if fuel was half the price.
I would sooner pay more off the mortgage each month.
Only posted this to get off 666 posts as I did not feel comfatable on that number.

Does not bother me in the slightest what the fuel price is. If the tank is low then I fill it up again. Very pleased with the thirsty chariot I drive around in ;)

Ditto. I've never done the economical car thing... the most economical car i've owned was my 3.6 TDV8 Range Rover which would only manage 21-25mpg depending on how it was driven, granted on a very strong tune. The worst car for fuel economy was my 4.4i V8 Range Rover Sport... this thing wouldn't do double figure MPG unless you drove it like a granny. Even then... 14mpg was the absolute best I managed.