Wheres your REV needle point the most?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
My revs needle hovers around 2000 - 3000 weekdays and 3000-4000 at weekends - what about you guyz n galz?

I usually keep at 3500revs as thats where my power band starts lol. Never know when you may need that instant power, wink wink. :D

I'm up there with BAD63R-V6 only my car doesn't have a power band its more of an elastic band :oops: !

Usually 1500-3000rpm. It doesn't really matter what its revving at for power. My torque peaks at 2000rpm and the bhp peaks at 4500rpm, so it pretty much goes like poo off a stick whatever the engines doing.

as a student, i live with my parents. and on the off chance i get to drive her triptronic audi allroad (great car) i put that thing in semi auto and drive like im on the track, shifting when the revs peak...good times. i cant believe they ever trust me with that thing

Mine stays around 2500-3500 if I'm feeling tight and watching the fuel.. When I'm letting loose then 5-6 grand.. :shock:

Welcome back Steveo! You must add a rev counter they are an essential :?

In my old VW mk2 gti I never had a rev counter, at one point I had no speedo, not that it really mattered cause I never paid much attention to any of the instrumentation.

On my new car I have a rev counter and most of the time its low but some times I can't help just opening it up to hear the engine roar.

Redline in mine 5200, high for a diesel but there's sod all point going that far given that torque maxes at about 2200 and power about 4200. It all pans out nicely as 2500 gives about 85 mph in fifth which means its right on the torque peak.

Previous car was a Japanese petrol (Primera 2.0) with the line at 7700. That was one revvy car but so spineless below about 5000rpm.

Don't get too hung up on diesels being slow - mine's anything but. A careful ECU re-map has released about 190bhp but with the kind of torque you get from an XK8.

The W8 is so relaxed I swear it should have had a higher red-line. It hits 6250rpm daily. It's good for the cam adjusters on these engines and with such long gears, you need to!

My rev average has changed slightly with the 3.0. The 2.5 is designed to have max torque at 4200rpms and the power kicks in at 3500rpms. Now with the 3.0 the torque max is nearer 3600rpms and the power kicks in at 3000rpms and neither stop pulling till you hit about 6500 and then the limiter is about another 500ish over that. So yeh i hover around the 3000 area now.

I keep mine below 3k most of the time as that is when the turbo starts to spool up enough for boost.
Unless I want to use that boost, of course ;)

Actually now that I think about it, I only ever look at my rev counter when the car is first fired up and sitting on tick over. What it does between the start and the end of my journey I have no idea.
I tend to glance at the speedo every now and again, but then my speed camera detector alerts me when I stray over the local speed limit; mostly I monitor my air fuel ratio, exhaust gas temperature and my turbo boost gauges.

My car mostly sits in the man cave waiting for the next event but when it is driven the tacho is mostly above 4k but don't look as have progressive shift lights that show the first green @ 4k and rise @ 500 rpm intervals to the 1st red @ 6500 to flashing red @ the 7200 fuel /limiter cut.

My boost and temp gauges have a recall/reset button to check the maximum levels if needed.

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...m-PSI-with-audible-Alarm---GREEN-BACKLIT.html

the second big pic is the one with the recall/reset button.

My road cars Navman has been set to give a 5klms over the posted limit audible warning beep.

Last edited:
Obi San when completing in the street sprints that are short with no long straights where there is time to check so I don't look directly at the gauges as the boost and temp gauges have a built in warning sound as well as a recall function.

The shift light is seen in my peripheral vision.

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/

The NAVMAN in my road car is mounted in what IMO is the best/safest position, as low as possible in the bottom corner of the windscreen so as not to block my forward vision and gives audible instructions /directions/warnings so no need to take my eyes off the road and look at it.

Last edited:
I don't really use my rev counter. I am rarely at the top end though, it seems everytime I stray towards the red line something breaks.