Where to start?

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Here's a topic that (admittedly I couldn't be asked to look for it) I haven't seen on this forum. When modding, where should you start, not just me, but in general. Personally I know exactly how to mod cars in terms of styling and ICE, but my performance knowledge is lacking. But others know how to mod under the hood, yet can't style a car! The question is where should you start in general? Where is the best place to start?

Of course it's not as easy as just doing it, money is the biggest factor that will screw every one of us over at some point, and I know that playing to your strengths is a good idea...but is it better to create a sleeper then make it look it good, or make it good look and then add the performance that is needed to match?

Let's have some opinions on this...

You know my thoughts as my car is totally standard visually. I like the Q-car thing, where it looks the same as any other model from the same range. I've even removed the GTX badges from the sides so it might well be a base model. Perhaps that counts as styling in itself?

But then, I'm not really a mods fan anyway so my opinion is not really valid.

What I would say though, is that if you are going to alter a car significantly, start with the brakes, the suspension and the tyres before you go near performance upgrades. Keep the overall wheel/tyre rolling diameter close to standard and keep ride height close to standard.

Braided brake hoses help enormously with pedal feel, decent aftermarket discs and pads can improve things still further.

Gas shocks are great, they damp far better than oil filled ones, giving better steering and linearity in general driving.

All this gets your car ready for the silly power you plan to shove through it.

I do enjoy the odd informal and non-agressive road race against prettied up cars. Often they're spoiler decked Clios or Corsas with a stock standard 1.4 under the bonnet. It's fun flattening 'em with a "diesel"!

But, that's just me,

Perhaps it's my age

Cheers,

Do Well,

Rgds,

Paul.

Perhaps it's my ageQUOTE]

Lol! My thoughts are that everything should be done...the little chavs in there 1.2 Nova's with a body kit and chunky spoiler on just annoy the hell outta me...because they've just done visuals (and not done them well!).

I agree with the brakes thing, in fact I was planning on brakes, they'd have to be done anyway once I put rims on my car. I was also planning the sports exhaust. But I'm hampered by insurance. I don't want a 'all show and no go car'.

Good onya - get it set to stop hard and handle pleasantly, then you can play with the go stuff.

Yes, it's my age (rotten sod :) you ) and you don't want a trailer queen of a car. It's got to be driveable, and to be enjoyable to drive.

Agreed, Novas are ****e even the 1.6 GTE thing is a rabbit hutch of a car with useless brakes and sod all go above 50 mph. I'd be surprised to find any on the roads now.

Maybe the trick is to ensure that the go always is slightly better than the show. That way you're never gonna have to apologise for the car.

Five years back I was moving house and the one I was selling was dealt with by a your recruit to a local estate agent. He drove a 106 with everything possible to have and it looked lovely. Turned out that it was a 1.1 litre basic with 1.1 litre performance and a bodykit.

Without being churlish, the house was on the market (and sold for) £424,000. Fair play, he sold it for us, but, why the all-show-no-go?

When I bought my car it already had koni racing shocks, miltek exhaust, 17" rims, 10 cd changer, amp and lots of nice little touches, nothing over the top.

The car was so well done there was nothing I wanted to add at first. The only thing I've upgraded was the breaks to some nice drilled n grooved discs with new pads. Which I must say are great.

Having had it a while and got used to the power I would like to do some performance changes, such as a new manifold, I've been thinking of a super charger but then it starts to get silly.

What could I get for the money it would cost to add a super charger (assuming I sold my car)? It could also do with a re-spray.

I'm really not sure what to do. Do I bite the bullet and do the mod's I want knowing I'm never going to get my money back, or, sell the car and use the money from it plus the money i've saved to buy a newer higher performance car?

For me it's more about the performance and fun of the drive than how it looks, although little touches such as non stock peddles, gear stick, or steering wheel add a personal touch to your car.

The phrase I use for all show and no go is "all fart and no sh*t :)

I'm with HD on this one. Make sure you can stop before you go. I also prefer to surprise the AFANS brigade with a standardish looking car, much more fun :) It has the added advantage of it being less likely to be vandalised or nicked. AND it gives you more money to spend on stop and go. AND you are less likely to attract the attention of the blue meanies :) A win win situation if you ask me, but than, like HD, I am an old git and not into flash! In the end it is what rocks your particular boat. What a boring world it would be if we were all like HD and me :) Now, where did the nurse put my rocking chair........

It's like that isn't it, Steve. No one vandalises plain looking saloons. Suits me. I like to keep my 70 odd percent no claims bonus protected. Lively road cars are one way to help reduce the boredom of long journeys. Perhaps it's safer, too?

I don't advocate the 'bit of power can get you out of trouble' brigade. It can get you into it a whole lot quicker and make things worse if you can't manage it or yourself.

I'm at BGm tomorrow and will put the 2000E box question to Ian Gwynne.