Where do you like your power band

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When setting up a car where would be the ideal location for the peak part of the power band?

I prefer it firmly in the middle of the RPM range where I spend most of my time.

At the lower end the power band tends to cause wheelspin, I'd rather have it where I can fully use it.

I like the Tesla gearless approach. The accelerator is simply the only torque control. You get whatever you summon.

Last edited:
^^ That sounds ideal Paul, the Tesla does seem to be winning over more and more fans these days.

The range and charging problems need to be addressed. This will only happen if people commit to plug-in electrics. The drive experience is sublime though.

Oh yes, the flat always there linear torque band of an electric motor. One day perhaps, but I'm not convinced the tech is fully there yet. It's pretty close though.

When setting up a car where would be the ideal location for the peak part of the power band?

I prefer it firmly in the middle of the RPM range where I spend most of my time.

At the lower end the power band tends to cause wheelspin, I'd rather have it where I can fully use it.

It depends on how fast you want to go . I need Power up around 8000rpm so I can gear for high speeds & still be pulling hard. On the way up to this peak Power its Torque that counts you need a big spread of this you certainly don't want peak Power in the mid revs. Remember Torque is what accelerates you & is allied to horsepower so you need horses to rise as long as Possible to create Torque.

It depends on how fast you want to go . I need Power up around 8000rpm so I can gear for high speeds & still be pulling hard. On the way up to this peak Power its Torque that counts you need a big spread of this you certainly don't want peak Power in the mid revs. Remember Torque is what accelerates you & is allied to horsepower so you need horses to rise as long as Possible to create Torque.

It must be marvellous to live in you're world Rod, unfortunately I have to leave my need for speed to the tracks and on the straights that aren't nearly long enough for me as I would like :(But what the hell! For the few short seconds that I can enjoy on the straight, I am totally happy :)