When do you go for a spirited drive?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your "perfect" conditions for a spirited drive. Although we do not endorse speeding, driving recklessly or racing on the roads there is nothing wrong with a spirited drive on a nice twisty country road within the legal limits and observing good road sense and observational skills.

Here are my criteria the car has been checked, pads, oil and water levels and tyre pressures, tyres are visually inspected as well. The road needs to be dry and fairly free of other traffic weather has to be dry. The road needs some nice scenery as well.

I prefer a nice wide A road, with plenty of run off areas and lots of challenging tight bends and corners. - That's me set up for plenty of Smiles Per Gallon!

The coast road from Folkestone to Rye is an old favourite of mine. I take my new car along this to get used to it and explore the limits.

I know that stretch well, New Romney and Dymchurch, not good for bikers along that stretch. There's a few country lanes a few miles from my area that are fast and twisty, best driven in daylight as it is not lit at all. I take this as a nice shortcut to the M3/A34 from my house, wife hates it!

I have shared this before on here, but just in case you haven't seen it... :)

This is me 'enjoying' a spirited ride in the canyons north on Los Angeles in August 2014. You will be hard pressed to match the road, scenery and weather in the UK, but if you can please let me know where.

Forza Four is much cheaper than a plane ticket. Plus you can drive as pissed as you like and watch things go downhill exponentially in total safety.

Seem to remember that Clarkson had practiced on the simulator but found the corkscrew a different kettle of fish when he tackled for real it at Laguna Seca.

Last edited:
Both have advantages. In Forza I can 'drive' a priceless car in a manner I'd never consider driving it on the road. Taking risks I'd never consider on the road.

Personally, I can't see the point, but each to his own. I'd rather be on my backside under the car than on my backside pretending to be a racing driver.

Personally, I can't see the point, but each to his own. I'd rather be on my backside under the car than on my backside pretending to be a racing driver.

Little secret - nor do I. I don't even have a console. It's just made a nice post.

Last time I played it was in 2012 with my mate who is now sadly deceased.

Little secret - nor do I. I don't even have a console. It's just made a nice post.

Last time I played it was in 2012 with my mate who is now sadly deceased.

Ah :)

I have yet to experience the loss of a friend.

I've noticed between 5 and 7 in the morning most drivers on the road drive at a faster pace and quite a few of them are very spirited drivers!

Unless we are talking a Sunday morning in a popular holiday destination! The slow drivers seem to get out and about quite early! Especially the dreaded caravanners!