Wheels/tyres

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hello y'all

I need new tyres as mine are near the legal limit, but my alloys are kerbed to hell

so I wanted to know of a good performance tyre that will work in the wet and dry, (track day rubber isn't an option)

also I was originally planning on 15" wheels but the tyre choice is much bigger for 16 " wheels on my car (205 50 15 and 205 45 16 receptively)

There is sooo much to choice from so I thought I would get a second opinion,

What do you guys reckon?

Brett

I liked the Goodyear Eagle F1's and I currently use Dunlop SP Sport MAXX which have a pretty good wet and dry performance and were quite cheap.

Whats the budget like ?

the F1s are good but fast wearing - like alot high grip tyres due to the softer compound
the Falken 452s are a good tyre and can be pushed a bit - granted they are a mid ground price so dont expect massive amounts.
the newer 912s arent as good imo

I do like Continental's tyres but they have got very very pricey recently. Additionally, the imported tyres have reached a level of performance now which is more than acceptable. I fairness though I must let the premium brands have some credit because they, too, will be improving their products all the time.

I wouldn't mess around with Wanli, Linglong, Triangle and some of those outrageously cheap Chinese tyres though - they even look slidey.

I

I wouldn't mess around with Wanli, Linglong, Triangle and some of those outrageously cheap Chinese tyres though - they even look slidey.

Couldnt agree more, I made the mistake of buying some for my last set as they were cheap. I'm not usually this daft but at the time money was quite tight and they were only 45 quid a corner.

They lasted 8k on the front. I'm not a boy racer. I'd have been able to bear this a bit if they had at least been grippy. They weren't.

Never again.

Budget, well not too out rageous but I don't mind paying good money for something that is going to do what I want,

R888's are track day tyres, they do work in wet conditions (as in a wet road with no puddles) but standing water is a BIG no no as they will aquaplane like no other,

t1R is supposed to be a good tyre especially in the wet but they have bought out another tyre which is worth a look I think, the R1R

My sisters corsa has Eagle F1 GSD3's on it and it grips very well but to have these I would have to have a 16" wheel (205 45 16) and idealy I want to go for a 15" wheel (205 50 15)

I haven't the money to buy loads of tyres to decide on the best though.... but then again neither has most people

I fitted a Triangle to the spare wheel in the 5 series. Unusually it's a full size alloy so I chose the crappiest tyre possible. Thereby leaving me a strong incentive to get the proper tyre repaired/replaced ASAP.

Firstly everybody who is anybody knows A048's>>>>>>>R888's.

Contisports on my Fiesta are a very good tire wet or dry, but very noisy too.

T1R are shockingly poo in every way possible. Old man had them on the Supra and soon binned them.

Eagle F1's GSD3 are excellent for a road tyre but I aquaplaned in the Alfa with them on....the Asymmetrics just have the edge, both my mates have them on their Evo 8's and another on his beemer. Go for one of these if you don't want to man up and get a semi-slick :)

I've had 195/45/15 GSD3's put on the MO5's but I'm regretting it now I'm sticking the 16vt engine in. Wish I'd gone for some A048's so the GSD3's will probably be coming off before they're used to make way for some proper tyres. If you're interested?.....

Nah, there far too small, 15's on my car require a 195 55 15 rather than the 45 profile

I currently run a 185/65/14

SO you reckon I should just go for the Yoko semi slicks on a daily driver? Will I still be able to get some fun lift off over steer?
(I probably only do 3k miles a year now though ;) )

and the asymmetric aren't available in the size I want, and the GSD3's I can't get as they are no longer available in the size I want

They don't "require" any profile :D Low profile means less sidewall to flex! Nah, I wouldn't use semi-slicks on a daily driver, as you said, they have issues with standing water and aquaplaning. They can't disperse water like "normal" tyres. It rains too much here and hte roads are a state. Plus they will be overkill on a car like yours tbh, whereas as I need all the grip at the front end I can get.

I'll probably use the GSD3's for a bit then bin them off for 205/50 A048's. What size DO you want?

205/50/15

So the speedo is correct (ish)

My car in it's current state of tune wouldn't warrant yoko semi slicks, but maybe when I've finished with it though,

Why are they better than r888's?

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
Pirelli P6000
These are appealing but aren't cheap,

I really can't find anything else to go for, unless I go for a 16" wheel

I dont rate the Pirelli P6000 Jags have used them for years and I dont like them, but that is IMO.

I have been using 285/35/20 Dunlop contact sports, they are a good all rounder better than the Pzeros

I do like the pattern on the Toyos, sad I know :embarrest:

Mind you I only buy part worn tyres for my track car as I can get a full set for £200

Well, I went to Alton Towers yesterday and a friend of mine drove us there in his alfa 156 1.9 jtd 8v, he's had it remaped and has about 135 bhp i think...

he recently had put some p6000's on the front, and it gripped really well on the corners,
they were also standard equipment on the gti6

I think I'm going to go for 16" wheels so I can have better tyres, unless though those yokos are actually any good,

Like a lot of these "what is best" questions, there isn't a single correct answer. If there was, there wouldn't be any choice :)

Every car has its own handling characteristics and tyre design requirements. So, R888s may work best on one car but Dunlop DZ03Gs on another.

The only way to find what works best on your car/driver combination is to experiment (although this is expensive). My experience is that you can't rely on other drivers' recommendations as most of them haven't got a clue and go with what looks the best or can be stretched the most :)

If you can find someone with the car/tyre combo you are interestred in, blag a ride. This may help, but the simple mistake of a few PSI too much or less will compromise their performance.

Maybe you should go with the majority choice, then at least there is safety in numbers :)

There's a bloke around here who recently replaced the front pair on his Nova derived van. The inside edges were all the way through to the steel wires.

And the tracking was - get this - 14 degrees out !!!! Fourteen!!!

How insensitive are some drivers? I'd have spotted .14 degrees misalignment.

Bloody hell......

how the hell was he able to drive it like that? I'm like you Paul, my tracking is out by more than .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 degrees then I get all moody and have to take it some where...

Like a lot of these "what is best" questions, there isn't a single correct answer. If there was, there wouldn't be any choice :)

Every car has its own handling characteristics and tyre design requirements. So, R888s may work best on one car but Dunlop DZ03Gs on another.

The only way to find what works best on your car/driver combination is to experiment (although this is expensive). My experience is that you can't rely on other drivers' recommendations as most of them haven't got a clue and go with what looks the best or can be stretched the most :)

If you can find someone with the car/tyre combo you are interestred in, blag a ride. This may help, but the simple mistake of a few PSI too much or less will compromise their performance.

Maybe you should go with the majority choice, then at least there is safety in numbers :)

Well, it's difficult to say, on my car all sorts of tyre has been used by enthusiasts and they tend to go for toyo's or good years,

but the problem is though Goodyear have stopped making there "good" tyres in that size (incidently the size I'm going to be using) which leaves the toyo's which a few people on here have told me to avoid,

I'm using 195/50/15's on my car and 2 of the tyres need replacing, and I think I am going to go with Hankook's because I've used them before and have been very please with how they have stood up to abuse and the grip levels in the dry, in the wet they are fantastic, but I would be using a different model though

Hankooks are very good midrange tyres. Kumho is another brand that shouldn't be dismissed immediately.

In fairness, the premium brands do continue to move the technology forward. As such, I still think that if you can afford £160+ per corner then spend it without hesitation. I would. I used to do so when money was in abundant supply.

The midrange tyres today are yesteryear's premium tyres but many makers of midrange tyres have formal engagements with the biggest name makers.

So today's midrange tyre is quite well the equal of a 2006 Bridgestone or Conti. If you were happy with that tyre at the time, as I was, then by all means use it.

Last edited:
Hankooks are very good midrange tyres. Kumho is another brand that shouldn't be dismissed immediately.

In fairness, the premium brands do continue to move the technology forward. As such, I still think that if you can afford £160+ per corner then spend it without hesitation. I would. I used to do so when money was in abundant supply.

The midrange tyres today are yesteryear's premium tyres but many makers of midrange tyres have formal engagements with the biggest name makers.

So today's midrange tyre is quite well the equal of a 2006 Bridgestone or Conti. If you were happy with that tyre at the time, as I was, then by all means use it.

Actually, Hankook's are classed as premium tyres chap and have tyre models that compete with Continental and Goodyear (and the like)

Hankook RS2's? All the EK9 and DC2 boys rave about them. I nearly bought some a while back.
RS2's are a consideration but the Ventus V12 evo should suit better as it will also will work well in the wet :)

Actually, Hankook's are classed as premium tyres chap and have tyre models that compete with Continental and Goodyear (and the like)

RS2's are a consideration but the Ventus V12 evo should suit better as it will also will work well in the wet :)

I don't think Hankook as a brand is ready to sell tyres to the premium market. Heavy ties with Michelin are of no consequence.

Anymore than Viking's tyres will compete directly with Conti's own, despite corporate ownership.

Sony bought Aiwa years ago simply to retain a slice of the low-price market.

Everytime I go online to look at tyres, all the big tyre depots all say that Hankook is a premium brand, and they do make excellent tyres and have developed there own tyre based on there own findings.

I'm not sure,

what sizes are you using then chap? Like I said I have been very impressed eith Hankook's
I was recommend them by a chap at my local tyre centre (it's a privately run place)
The chap uses them on his car so obviously was able to give impartcial advise, they were also reasonably priced, not the cheapest but not mega expensive, I would say they are good value for money really, and they have lasted well, my car uses tyre quite quickly and I do like the spirited drive quite often and plus I got the big all cast iron hefer of an engine up front to contend with so I think 22,000 miles (185/65/14) is pretty good,

Perhaps they don't make a premium tyre in a size to fit my car.

They do 4 different patterns for your tyre size chap (looked your size up in another thread) but only 2 of those are relivant really unless you drive in the snow which I'm 99% sure you don't unless we have another horrible winter

Ventus Prime
http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires...ck]=77&cHash=80ef9214f99df6700d5e0a9a948f9242

Optimo 4S
http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires...ck]=77&cHash=0191a99c049fde77d1a4d2b63716cdce

would definately recommend Hankook to anyone, they even do track day tyres,

Paul,

the tyres for you wheel size are expensive,
I've been looking on camskill and they are a cheap place to get good tyres
How much do you usually spend?