Whats your MPG and does it matter

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What sort of real world MPG do you get from your car and does the MPG matter that much to you with the current low (but creeping up again) prices?

Mine floats around the low 40s. I don't drive with fuel ultra-economy in mind. This business of lugging around at 900rpm in 6th gear surely cannot be good for the car. Save £5 per year in fuel and then write off a DMF in 50,000 miles at a cost of £1000.

46 average up to 51 on some days. Motorway stretches of over 20 minutes usually yield around 56! Very happy with that and with my annual mileage it does matter quite a lot.

Similar to Waynne, I normally see high 40s jumping to mid -high 50s mpg on long runs. I normally get to 600 miles from a 60ltr tank so happy with that. My Skyline in contrast would empty it's 70ltr tank in under 200 miles but those miles were a lot more fun:D

I don't do much motorway work without a full load - 4 adult passengers plus childlike driver and boot full to bursting (06 year Passat Estate carries a lot of luggage). 45 mpg best but I don't drive with max economy in mind, as previously stated.

More telling is that I could wring 43 mpg from the BMW (528i Auto, E39 saloon) if I did put my mind to it.

My Peugeot 406 averaged out at just 36.6 mpg with the 2.2 HDi engine.

Mine floats around the low 40s. I don't drive with fuel ultra-economy in mind. This business of lugging around at 900rpm in 6th gear surely cannot be good for the car. Save £5 per year in fuel and then write off a DMF in 50,000 miles at a cost of £1000.

I would have thought that if you lugged around in 6th gear at 900rph your MPG would skyrocket.

Chevy Blazer averaged around 17-18mpg but only 11-12 when used for parcel delivering. Brake servo packed up so I took it off the road at the same time that my mother-in-law gave me her VW Fox, which was a happy happenstance. This does around 44mph and has saved me around £3000 a year in fuel!

Multi-drop driving is savage on fuel economy. Kind of bears out my (shared by many) thoughts that driving style is the single biggest influence. Of course, I'd like to see how we'd need to drive a Fox 1.2 to get it down to 11mpg. Steve, is yours the 3 cylinder one?

We have a 2005 Ibiza here with the same engine. It's not been driven for a couple of years due to my wife being diagnosed with epilepsy and a couple of other related neurological conditions. Perfectly sensibly, she no longer drives** - the DVLA (also perfectly sensibly) stipulates 2 years minimum from the last seizure before even considering applying to have her license re-instated.

I've given the car to younger son (15) to tart up, pimp and preen, ready for when it (son) takes to the roads. He likes to call it half of a V6.

The 3 cylinder engine is actually OK. Bit spineless but it's not the worst thing I've driven.

**as far as I am concerned she didn't 'drive' anyway :D, very cheeky of me, got to find some comfort in dark humour.

Similar to Waynne, I normally see high 40s jumping to mid -high 50s mpg on long runs. I normally get to 600 miles from a 60ltr tank so happy with that. My Skyline in contrast would empty it's 70ltr tank in under 200 miles but those miles were a lot more fun:D
Smiles per gallon will never compare with mpg.

We have a 2005 Ibiza here with the same engine. It's not been driven for a couple of years due to my wife being diagnosed with epilepsy and a couple of other related neurological conditions. Perfectly sensibly, she no longer drives** - the DVLA (also perfectly sensibly) stipulates 2 years minimum from the last seizure before even considering applying to have her license re-instated.

I've given the car to younger son (15) to tart up, pimp and preen, ready for when it (son) takes to the roads. He likes to call it half of a V6.

The 3 cylinder engine is actually OK. Bit spineless but it's not the worst thing I've driven.

**as far as I am concerned she didn't 'drive' anyway :D, very cheeky of me, got to find some comfort in dark humour.

I suppose spineless is relative. With just me in it the Fox is pretty spritely and easily keeps up with motorway traffic and is quite happy in the fastest lane on UK roads.

Can't argue with that. I can make any car go quickly, I just find the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder Seat cumbersome and tiring to drive on long journeys. We had a 1.9 Diesel non turbo Seat Ibiza for some years. Peak torque at around 1200 rpm. Peak power about 60 bhp.

Much easier to drive than the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder petrol.

It would have to be. Much like a hearing aid beige Montego. Buying 2nd hand you don't have choice of colour. But who on Earth actually chose that colour when ordering a new car?

Mine does 8 to 9 liters urban, while open roads does 6 liters for 100 km. it's a pretty much ordinary thing, and yes matters, altho it's a daily.

In the long term (say 150,000 miles over ten years) I don't think there's much in it between petrol and diesel. Diesel engines are hideously complicated and bits that need replacing are often costly. Especially if it's a VW Group model.

The servicing and repair costs usually negate the cost advantage after the higher fuel price is factored in as well.

As far as costs are concerned with the stagea mpg is completely irrellevant to me because the amount I spend on petrol is inconsequential to what Ive spent on the car and I did that to drive it.

Even with the daily driver I honestly dont care - its what it is. I want to drive the car I want to drive.
Besides petrol is a busines expense so completely deductable .

18blvk.jpg

ccef0a528f37c5e0f0629e78ee9d939ace8ff0c1b85b65183cfe7c621e53fbdf.jpg

For me MPG matters when I'm

Doing lots of miles
Paying more per liter than £1.25

If I didn't do many miles (say 6000 per year) I'd get a more sporty petrol car and put up with low 30's high 20mpg's.

There is an argument here for getting a fun weekend run around car.