Torque Cars

Whats the best / cheapest engine conversion to do

Discussion in 'Vectra' started by dragonsri, 17 September 2010.

1. dragonsri

dragonsri New member

Honiton Devon
    Car:
    Vectra 2.2 SRI
    Hi there everyone
    This is my first post here :p
    My engine is pretty much on its way to engine heaven so im thinking about replacing the engine.
    Now I've always wanted a turbo (never had any car with a turbo lump) so I would ideally like that.
    I been googling and see that a saab 2.0 turbo can fit as well as a calibra turbo lump. Would it be best to try to get the whole car? whats the easiest way to do this? Also I have no idea how to do it so I have to try and find someone who can. There is a place in Halifax but thats mileage for me.
    Also I can get hold of a GSI vectra probably be cheaper to take the subframe and swap that. Would it clamp on from the downpipe on past the cat? Again don't know enough about engines so excuse my newbie-ness.
    Thanks

2. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Your best option would be to buy a complete car to use as a donor.

3. claymore

claymore The Torque Meister

Shrewsbury
    Car:
    T-10k,
    Or sell the Vectra, and bye a car with a turbo. I think that would be the cheaper option.

4. dragonsri

dragonsri New member

Honiton Devon
    Car:
    Vectra 2.2 SRI
    Yeah I would if my engine wasn't smoking mate, I wouldn't get much for it as it is. Might be going the GSI route depending how easy it is to do :sad2:

5. lutonmatt

lutonmatt The Torque Meister

chatham kent
    Car:
    82 trans am kitt
    thats the way i always say if you want a fast or turbo car buy one much easyer and a lot less hassel

i know you might not get much for yours but in the long run will save money

6. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.

Too true.

7. dragonsri

dragonsri New member

Honiton Devon
    Car:
    Vectra 2.2 SRI
    Thanks for your advice guys, going by what kind of money I have and have already thrown into my vectra I am going to try and do the GSI conversion. Can anyone recommend any body from the Devon area or if anyone on here is local and can do it and how much?

8. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    Before you do anything mate. Have a chat with a member on here called BAD63R (http://www.torquecars.com/forums/members/bad63r/). He should be able to help you with any questions you may have and I know he can offer a lot of advise when it comes to engine conversions (especially Vauxhall related).

9. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    3.2 v6 from an omega. Drive by wire like your 2.2. Very common mod.

If you're thinking of gsi you'd be better off just buying one and selling the sri for spares/repair. You can get decent GSIs very cheap these days, for less probably than it would cost to convert your sri over.

10. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    The 3.2 is very refined.