What to do on my Tdi?

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
Now my Skyline has been gone for 9 months and I'm really missing the sensation of fitting new parts to my pride n joy. I know everyone said I wouldn't be able to stay away from the tuning scene. Now my mk5 Golf GT Tdi170 is great but a bit dull. Question is how far shall I take it. Remap - obviously. That will get to around 210hp according to the guys at Celtic Tuning. Now with my turbo petrol cars we changed turbos, boost controllers, injectors, intercooler etc etc then remapped it all. I dont seem to find much for my trusty diesel except DPF delete (now naughty but I might slyly do anyway) and exhaust system like Miltek has to offer. Is that about it? What do the BTCC teams do to get there diesels up in the 300hp range?
Any thoughts

DPFs are fine provided you use the engine properly and so eliminate exhaust soot. Soot can damage the cat so I'd keep the DPF. Occasional use of DPF cleaning additives (Cerium based ones) helps massively.

Remapping on these engines is stunning, you'll get over 300lbft. Thus you get the kind of torque that is the preserve of 4 litre plus naturally aspirated petrol V8 engines. Fun times. We all talk power, but what we all drive is torque.

Was only considering Removing DPF as we bought the car new in 2006 before it was common knowledge these filters need a decent run to keep them clear. The car has just passed 36k miles and has clogged up 6 times in its life. My driving style and mileage seems to be shortening its life and I find it annoying I need to 'give it a blast' and waste fuel just to clean the filter. As I'm remapping thought it might be a good time to take it out the system and prevent a future costly repair. I'm leaning towards a remap with DPF delete but will downpipes and exhaust changes give anything else

Six clog ups !!!! That's not good at all. I can see why you're in favour of DPF deletion. My Peugeot 406 2.2 had a first generation DPF, these early ones had a reservoir of additive that assisted costs about £80 to replenish every 50,000 miles or so. This proved unpopular in terms of cost, hence the more modern passive DPFs. But it appears that the earlier system was better suited to its task, and it never clogged either. A new DPF costs more than £80.

Are you running a low SAPS engine oil?

Oil is the long life stuff VW507 5W30 which means service every 2 years and even then it may of covered only 6-8k miles. Problem is we dont really have any regular long journeys. 10 mile is probably our longest trip 3 times a week but thats mostly 30mph stuff so the DPF doesn't get hot enough to burn the soot away. You thinking more regular oil change?

No, that change interval is fine. How about getting into 3rd gear at 60-70mph for a few minutes once the engine is fully warmed? Steady state cruising with plenty of air is good for DPF regeneration.

LOL Andy on that mileage why not just swap it for a petrol 2.0GTI? 200bhp turbo. Remap to 230/240.

You'll likely be better off cos of cheaper petrol price.

And no DPF.

^ ^ It's a good point ^ ^

Just seems a shame to part with a car which is a fully known quantity to Andy.

Exactly. We won't be selling this car. It has no value to anyone else but is still worth all the purchase price to us especially as we specced it highly with heated leather interior, and all the creature comforts available at the time. I'm not a sprint off the line look at me driver but do like to have a nice power level to get past queues of trafic quickly and safely. The diesel is fine for that sort of real world driving. My question is though while I'm remapping is it worth going full out and changing the downpipe, dpf and exhaust? Will that give me signicant performance increase or is the remap sufficient. Deleting the dpf is high up on the do list as its such a pain.

LOL Andy on that mileage why not just swap it for a petrol 2.0GTI? 200bhp turbo. Remap to 230/240.

You'll likely be better off cos of cheaper petrol price.

And no DPF.

Thought about but my car is pretty valueless now and worth more to us. Cars also fine really nothing wrong with it and we know every mile its done. I get 600+ miles out of 50litres of fuel. Don't think I could keep anywhere near that if I was let loose in a petrol turbo car again :D

To be fair andy I feel the same about our focus that weve owned for 9 years.

A lot of people do the dpf delete cos they are such a troublesome technology.

Diesels are usually pretty well set up gasflow wise. I'd urge you towards keeping the DPF to be honest.

Hmmmm you would be the first to be in favour of keeping the DPF. It really kills fuel consumption when it does a forced regen because it hasn't been able to burn off the soot normally. So you're saying don't bother with changing the downpipe and exhaust. At a grand I was sceptical how good an increase it would be.

My P406 2.2 HDi had a first generation DPF system with the Eolys additive tank. This regenerated perfectly. OK, every 40,000 miles or so the additive tank has to be replenished - cost is about £60. Much cheaper than failed DPFs.

The later (current) DPFs all seem to be of the passive type and are prone to problems if the car is not driven in a prescribed manner.

SO, yes, I see what you are saying.

I keep my cars for ages and ages too.

I'm over 152,000 now, bought this car in July 2010 - emergency purchase - at that point it had just 73,000 on it. Granted it had a full history with invoices and documents, not just a stamped book.

I just get it serviced on time, use BMW approved oils etc. Occasional fix needed, squeaky brake caliper, rattly water pump, couple of suspension bushes but it drives beautifully. Strangely BMW OEM parts are v v good value, not what the mass market consumer would imagine at all. Cheaper than running a Vauxhall !!!!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back