What is your next mod going to be

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I'm sure we've all got a shopping list of the next mods we want to do on our cars.

What is your next mod going to be? When are you likely to get this done? What's holding you back if you keep putting it off?

What is your next mod going to be?
Do new rear arches count? My are getting a bit religious (holy) and need of work. That's not really a mod, though....
I want to upgrade my brakes and suspension. I've already got my eye on some Brembo brakes and Pedders suspension.
When are you likely to get this done?
Maybe this year. Maybe next due to the below...
What's holding you back if you keep putting it off?
The cost of arches :)
And buying a house this year.

For me it will have to be a new set of tyres around the summertime, plus a couple of under bonnet metal items are going to be highly polished and some will be gold plated.

The track ZS wants a roll cage, no idea when as cost is stopping me as they are custom made. Seeing as I'm going to be a grandad for the first time later in the year any disposable funds will be diverted elsewhere! So I need to be either sensible or sneaky! ;b/

They have told me that they have adjusted the coilovers as they have settled a bit and upgraded the rear bar with a slightly thicker 3 way adjustable custom made item so will have to enter a track sprint or general practice day to endeavor to discover what changes to turn in and hopefully less rear end stepping out exiting corners if any have been made.

I think my next couple of mods will be aesthetic. Paint my calipers, new wheels, probably some form of graphics for the car (though i'm not sure as to what yet)

Cant decide what to do on remap. For 250 quid I can get a mobile service like I've done before, they come to you, generic map, +20hp and 60nm. Done it twice before, always worked out fine. These figures won't stress the engine or box at all.

For 395 I can get a rolling road before and after, but would obviously have to go to the mapper, and then I dont want to go for ultimate maximum remap anyway - I want the car to last. Is a dyno session worth another 150 quid?

If you want a map tuned to your personal vehicle then a proper tuner at a garage will be able to do that for you and then they'll dyno it to make sure it's right and you'll get the best of both. If it's a generic map and you care what your increases are then yes, if not then don't bother. Most will roll your car for about £40-£50 though so even if u go with a mobile guy u could have it dyno'd yourself first, then get the mobile remap, then take it back for a dyno. Two dyno runs should not cost £150.

FWIW I always use the same dyno tuner who gives me the before and after results when I change anything that can affect the previous tune.

Recently I downsized the turbo to get an earlier boost pressure increase and installed higher flowing injectors at the same time so the AFR's and ignition maps had to be changed to prevent detonation due to what would have been lean AFR's at the lower revs due to the increased airflow/boost pressure at the lower RPM's

I may be wrong but haven't heard much about generic maps here.
I'm sure that the aftermarket computer suppliers can supply a start up map/tune for popular turbo cars so that they can be driven to their tuner to be tweaked for the best end result.

PS My tuner tunes/maps my car for longevity and what I call a"safe"tune so my fuel map is slightly richer at the top end so it is unlikely to be a hand grenade .

FYI a leaner AFR will make more power but it also makes more heat which can result in detonation on a hot day IF the tune is for outright power only which is fine for "dyno queen" bragging rights but dangerous for extended WOT track days

Last edited:
Airtec radiator for mine due to the 26 year old one on my car being absolutely knackered.

should be bought and fitted within the next month