What is your favourite weather to drive in?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I am torn between snow and rain. Both can be great fun and give a chance to see how the car would handle at higher speeds due to the lack of friction. Snow and ICE can be dangerous and I've certainly had some near scrapes so I think I'll plump for a nice wide wet roundabout.

I'm not an enormous fan of driving in snow. One day in my 205 I lost control while trying to slow down to enter work's car park on the right hand side. The car started skidding and the back end twisted clockwise until I was sliding slowly sideways. When I was facing the entrance to the car park I decided to try to dial in some throttle. The car caught immediately and I was able to pull in and park it perfectly.

I told my colleagues who'd been watching that I did it deliberately but I don't think they believed me. :lol:

Agree 100% with wet roundabouts, brilliant fun!

fingers said:
It has to be the blazing sunshine, with all windows down, arm on the door top just cruisin. 8)

This is the best, tbh. Love some loud music (Yeah I'm a knobber), Sunglasses on, relaxing.

Failing that (mostly do, hacks it down here with rain.) I like slightly damp roads.

This last weekend was a bit wet... And Horse ****ty. Came down a bend, going right, hit the poop, back end went out.

Now, I dont have much experiance with this, so it was the obvious opposite steering - For half a second I was like "WooO!!" - Then I relaxed on the throttle, instinct I guess, flat out "Ah crap crap stop stop." Thus the weight shifted forward, the fronts gripped, and it threw me the opposite way, sending the back out again and coming to a halt, facing the left hand side of the road.

No damage! No collision! Scared me a bit though. I'm probably going to do a Adv. Driving Course in the new year (Any idea where is a good place in the NW?)

Sorry to derail! Back on Topic!!

waynne said:
Snow is the only weather you get though Hansi! :wink:

What I ment to say in the post earlier was the sun after the snowing

And that comment about the snow here in Iceland that is what some people think but is not true. In the summer it can reach up to 30°C. And it's often around the time car days are in akureyri, last summer I was driving around the town with my sister and the heat in the car was unbearable.

But yeah, my favorite wethers is sun in snow and sun over the summer

Izo Azlion said:
fingers said:
It has to be the blazing sunshine, with all windows down, arm on the door top just cruisin. 8)

This is the best, tbh. Love some loud music (Yeah I'm a knobber), Sunglasses on, relaxing.

Failing that (mostly do, hacks it down here with rain.) I like slightly damp roads.

This last weekend was a bit wet... And Horse ****ty. Came down a bend, going right, hit the poop, back end went out.

Now, I dont have much experiance with this, so it was the obvious opposite steering - For half a second I was like "WooO!!" - Then I relaxed on the throttle, instinct I guess, flat out "Ah crap crap stop stop." Thus the weight shifted forward, the fronts gripped, and it threw me the opposite way, sending the back out again and coming to a halt, facing the left hand side of the road.

No damage! No collision! Scared me a bit though. I'm probably going to do a Adv. Driving Course in the new year (Any idea where is a good place in the NW?)

Sorry to derail! Back on Topic!!

Try ridedrive.co.uk

All instructors are Police Class 1 (which is the highest level) drivers and qualified to teach as well. I did a half day some months back - it's nothing like you'd think it'd be.

Just one example of the content:-
He had me on a muddy, twisty road in January 2007. Asked me to do a swift and systematic drive over three miles but.....;-

1. Keep left of the lane markings, whether or not safe to ignore them regardless of vision available;

2. Commentary (but not about the situation, but instead describe the grond floor of my house) whilst still driving swiftly - it's a distraction

3. Keep the pace up (ie. when I got below 70mph I was told to speed up - despite the road limit of 60!!!)

4. No Braking

ridedrive.co.uk is highly recommended by me. I had a good time.

Might look into that one it sounds like great fun. I have trouble listening to someone else talking whilst I drive let alone talking back! I didn't think us men could do 2 things at once? My wife can drive, talk, open a sweet, navigate, take a hands free phone call, make a phone call and plan the evening meal from the contents of the fridge whilst driving :shock:

think ma mate boyfriend did something similer about a year ago
he had to comontate on what he was doing all the time and stick to 60 all the time through the twisty roads

i love drivin when it is raining heavly ie storm style simply because there is no1 on the streets and best of all its harder to be seen doin things you shouldnt also police tend to stop u less as they dnt wanna get wet

BUDZ said:
i love drivin when it is raining heavly ie storm style simply because there is no1 on the streets and best of all its harder to be seen doin things you shouldnt also police tend to stop u less as they dnt wanna get wet

Its also harder to see, more dangerous and pretty much the worst time to be driving like the police pull you for, because when you want to stop, and when the car actually does, are two different things.

Please dont put my insurance up.

Well said - let's keep the highway as a transport mechanism.

If you want to play at the limits of grip then go and book some track time. It's much safer and much more fun because you can really explore the handling and push far harder than on the road.

That said, I'm no angel, I do drive pretty purposefully on the highway, but still with forethought and restraint.

I like all road conditions as it allows you to learn ever more and improve your skills as a result.

agree with the other 2 if your going to f**k around in a car do it on a track or private ground. not on the main road.

btw the police are more likely to pull you in worse weather.
most traffic will allow a sensible car to do 85 on a motorway in good weather however if it hammering down and your travelling at the same speed there alot more likely to stop you.

theres enough idiots on the road that go too fast in the wrong conditions with cars that arent set up to match

Unmarked traffic cars are disinterested unless your closely approaching 100 on a motorway that dry and clear.

Why would they disclose thir identity otherwise?

I regularly drive at or around 100mph (it's my choice) on clear motorways and I know I risk a hefty fine and not insignificant ban. However, it would be best for all of us to abide by the limits. The law has not changed significantly. but attitudes have.

Some authorities are trying to make main road speeding (even if it's done safely) as socially unacceptable as fiddling with childen.

Izo Azlion said:
BUDZ said:

Its also harder to see, more dangerous and pretty much the worst time to be driving like the police pull you for, because when you want to stop, and when the car actually does, are two different things.

So about an hour after this post, I got in my little 1.4l Honda Civic, and went to drive to my Uncles. Hit the bypass, foot down - horrific rain - felt the car being different than normal so I slowed down to agree with the conditions. Its the first time I've had the windscreen wipers going full tilt in 2 years of driving.

Anyway, end of the bypass, I'm in the right hand lane, fully stopped. Then I hear someone lock up. About .5 of a second goes by, then SMASH, straight into the back of me. I'm sat there like "*#*#*#*#*#*#*# hell", check myself over, and I'm fine. :D Got out, went out round the car to her, she was sat there, white as a sheet, in shock. Asked her if she was okay - shes fine too :)

Anyway, its basically mashed my bumper in, and it could possibly be a write off. However, shes incredibly attractive. She only passed 4 weeks ago, bless :p

Hoping to catch a drink with her sometime this week :) and see where it goes from there! They're looking to pay for the damage outside of insurance.

Anyway - this is the exact reason why you should take it incredibly easy in the rain. Its dangerous and I could have just as easily turned round and said "Ow my neck is killing me."

As it happens, i'm not like that.

Anyway, food for thought.

Civic Bumper

Unlucky mate.

least its only a bumper and maybe a respray / dusting
hondas are hardy little cars mines went over a roundabout one (i hid oil on a wet road and had nothing) went over and back down 2 sets of kerbs. problems blew out 3 tyres and damaged 3 alloys, not the same ones and my tracking was out by a little bit :lol:. total cost to repair £60 for new cheap assed tyres to get me to halfords. £240 for new alloys and and £21 for tracking adjustment. nothing else was wrong with the car, my pride was hurt alot more.

Least you got a drink and date outa it. me, all i got was , the guy who done my tyres was a mate so pissed himself laughin when i told him what happened, an earbashing from both ma mother, who was more interested in the car, and the girlfriend.

btw the wipers and heaters on the civic are completely useless

Izo Azlion said:
Izo Azlion said:
BUDZ said:

So about an hour after this post, I got in my little 1.4l Honda Civic, and went to drive to my Uncles. Hit the bypass, foot down - horrific rain - felt the car being different than normal so I slowed down to agree with the conditions. Its the first time I've had the windscreen wipers going full tilt in 2 years of driving.

Anyway, end of the bypass, I'm in the right hand lane, fully stopped. Then I hear someone lock up. About .5 of a second goes by, then SMASH, straight into the back of me. I'm sat there like "flick hell", check myself over, and I'm fine. :D Got out, went out round the car to her, she was sat there, white as a sheet, in shock. Asked her if she was okay - shes fine too :)

Anyway, its basically mashed my bumper in, and it could possibly be a write off. However, shes incredibly attractive. She only passed 4 weeks ago, bless :p

Hoping to catch a drink with her sometime this week :) and see where it goes from there! They're looking to pay for the damage outside of insurance.

Anyway - this is the exact reason why you should take it incredibly easy in the rain. Its dangerous and I could have just as easily turned round and said "Ow my neck is killing me."

As it happens, i'm not like that.

Anyway, food for thought.

Civic Bumper

but at least u got 2 meet some1 new from it ;)