What is your cars real 0-60 time?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever compared your real world 0-60 time with the book 0-60 time?

Mine is faster than the 0-60 quoted time, got it down to 7.9 seconds when mapped, or 8.5 stock when the book says 9.1

Bear in mind your speedo will not actually read 60 - it will be nearer 62-65 so you'd need a satnav or calibrated speedo to know for sure?

ooo ooohhh, stat comparing, me likey :)

Though finding actual stats for my precise model is ridiculously hard. 1998 Impreza STI. Not a 22b, not a P1, not a Type R... From what I can gather it was about 265bhp at 6000rpm and took the car to 60 in about 6.5-7 seconds.

When I bought it I took it to my garage. They replaced the OE exhaust with a 3in decat that I had in storage. No other mods needed as engine was in top condition :)
Tuner then came and did his thing.
The previous owner's tuner had put a really bad map on. The car produced so much power, until about 4000rpm, then the torque dropped off as the boost went away, leaving a horrible flat spot, until about 7000rpm where it would build up again just in time to change gear.

New map gave better boost build up and a smoother power band. Now the car is pulling all the way up to point my shift indicator flashes and I change gear.

We've never put it on a dyno, so do not have exact numbers. However I trust my tuner when he says it's in the region of 300-315bhp at 6000rpm. I err on the side of caution and state it's 300bhp.

He took me for a drive and we used our phones to run a few 0-60's. He managed 5.8 seconds. I can't do that as I can't change gear quick enough :woot: My best was 6.7 seconds. Still very fast.

Last edited:
My best was 7.1 but I rarely do that to be honest. When I was driving on a track with a friend from USA, he just leased a sweet new lexus from (Advertising removed), he went for 5.6... Golden times.

7.1 Clio 172 - about right for the quoted book speed. Could probably do better in perfect dry and cold conditions if I concentrated.

I need more power that much is clear.

OK, pub talk time :)

Book reckons standard Elan is just over 7secs.

My simulation software reckons 1.8secs. It also reckons over 10 secs for the 1/4 mile so it is very conservative :)

You can't beat a bit of pub talk! @old-git

I really can't wait to see your car when it's finished and fully fettled! What will you do with all that spare time when you are not working on your car.

Last edited:
You can't beat a bit of pub talk! @old-git

I really can't wait to see your car when it's finished and fully fettled! What will you do with all that spare time when you are not working on your car.

Don't be silly, Waynne, there will always be jobs to do on it. I will be working on up until I can't get back off the floor or can't see it :)

LOL as I expected! There's always something to tweak.

You'll probably invent a new lighter metal and then rebuild the car in it.

However, I could just use Metallic microlattice. It is, currently, the world’s lightest metal and one of the lightest structural materials. This synthetic porous material made from nickel phosphorous tubes has a density as low as 0.9 milligrams per cubic centimetre. Air is around 1.2 milligramms per cubic centimetre :)

Interesting, I didn't even know of it's existence. How strong is it?

That is pretty impressive. Do you think your metallurgist can beat this when he gets back from his holidays!? ;)

Interesting, I didn't even know of it's existence. How strong is it?

That is pretty impressive. Do you think your metallurgist can beat this when he gets back from his holidays!? ;)

We are already in conversation via email. He reckons we can simply make the holes bigger as we aren't building a boat.

Well,
My 1.1 pug 206 is meant to be 14.6secs but in reality, it's more like 18. It runs okay but it does need a service. I still don't think that will cut the time by much. I dream of halving that and i am to upgrade to a gti180 soon as i get the dosh together.

Yes indeed. I got it 26th May (1.1 206) with 98800 miles. It has 101500 already. I have enjoyed the 'throw away' nature of it and the cheapish fuel economy. It cost £100 and £230 for repairs & mot. So well worth it. My ex gf recently passed her test, so she can have it when i upgrade. Sorry for the off topic ramble....V(

Getting a fast road cam soon, that seems to be my best mod option, I wonder what it will do to my 0-60 time!