What is Torque and BHP?

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
Sorry to be such a Numptie but what is Torque and BHP? I know they are something to do with power but what is the difference or is it just a measurement unit? If you increase BHP does Torque go down?

In simplest form, Torque is required to pull weight and how much bhp you have determins how quickly you accelerate. i.e. the more torque youu have the more weight you can pull, and the more bhp you have, the quicker you get that wight from 0-60.

Its one of those things - I know what it is but its not easy to explain - I think fingers did well there. Here is my take:-

Torque is a measure of turning force, so if you pulled a lever the strength you would use would be measured in Torque.

BHP is actually a measure of peak power and is based on the amount a horse could pull vertically up a mine shaft in a given time for example.

The two are related so if you increase one you increase the other and the Torque and BHP curves will always cross at the same point.

i think the best way of thinking about torque is that with a lot of torque youll get a greater range in speed in one gear; it may not rev quickly but will still gain a lot of speed quickly. a car with a lot of torque feels limitless in its "muscle" if that doesnt sound too cheesey!

the old AM V8 Vantage is a fine example as is the holden monaro.

i always remember torque because of those strongman competitions where they pull buses and stuff - those guys have so much torque!

and the skinny guys that run the 100 metres, they have a fairly good bhp dont you think? they couldnt pull a bus but they can accelorate fast enough and keep a good constant speed, with a high top speed

makes sense to me anyway... =]

Torque is what pushes you back into the seat in a rapidly accelerating car.

BHP is the power the engine can achive for a moment, i.e. you might have 500bhp, but it's at 6000rpm.

It's also worth noting that brake horsepower is the figure you get without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, water pump, etc. The power @ the wheels is less.