What is the best sounding engine you've heard?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
For me It has to be the sweet engine note of a 3.0 Alfaromeo GTV (the boxer engine from c.1980)

Are there any stand out engine sounds that you would rate as your favourite?

not in a car but sound beautiful when restored.
A 27 ltr rolls royce V12 96 valve merlin engine. the non supercharged version. have heard a couple of them fired up at various airshows and what a noise. the cadets at dumfries are supposed to be helping rebuild one if they can source the parts.

I also quite like Napier's 18 cylinder (36 piston) 2 stroke Deltic unit which was used to great effect in the BR Class 55 diesel electric locomotive.

These had two of these monsters on board.

Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wait? What am I on about? My favourite engine sound is a 3 pot diesel. No question.

My god that looks complicated, but ingenious. Must have been a nightmare designing and building that thing, can you imagine trying to change the spark plugs in a service!!!:lol:

What size of engine is this thing anyway, in terms of displacement and actual physical size, i mean, i doubt it would fit under the bonnet of my polo!

Talking of novel engines, and no-one mention W4NKEL:embarrest:, anyone seen these VCR (variable compression) engines.

http://www.fs.isy.liu.se/Lab/SVC/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Diesel engines don't have spark plugs.

Displacement is about 90 litres so no, it won't fit in the Polo as it's considerably bigger and heavier than the whole car.

They were also common in marine applications becuase of the relatively high performance/weight ratio and for their ability to rev much higher than competitive 4 stroke engines.

By high we're talking about 1400rpm, whereas most low-medium speed diesels are spun out at 900rpm.

If you want some really silly stuff - here's the specs for a Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine.

It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.

The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.
Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

stevit your last message was about a variable compression engine designed by saab / gm. merc have also been playing around with this.
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f8/diesotto-1745/ thread started a while ago

the RX7 and 8 use a rotary engine on more commonly known as a w.ankel engine. this is nothing to do with Variable compression. currently no road cars use this technology due to lots of problems. but merc hope to have their engine, in a 1.8 form, to power their S class in the future

Last edited:
That is definetly a Hemi for me so if I'll just quote sbtUK:

Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi Hemi hemi hemi hemi hemi :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
:blink1:

HDi: didnt realise we were talking diesel here! Yeah, i know no spark plugs but my god, those engines your talking about sound mental!

Just looked up that engine you were on about. That things nuts! It definately wouldnt fit in the car, nor the house, maybe not even the village. Wouldnt like to see the fuel bill.

Pgarner: yeah, read up about merc/saab playing about with these engines, anyone think they'll take off? Infact, I dont know, are these engines in common production?

Last edited:
The Class 55 Deltics are no longer in BR service, having been withdrawn around 1980 but there are nutty railway club types who collectively own 1 or 2 and run 'em on private track. The Napier deltic engines are almost certainly still in marine use although the engines are no longer in production.

As for the 14 cylinder,25,000 litre Sulzers, these are built in situ inside huge ships and servicing work is carried out from the inside of the engine. These are still in use day in day out. Strangely the're very fuel efficent too, far more so than a road diesel. I suppose at 102rpm there's not a lot of friction compared to 5000rpm.

It's the five and a half million lbft torque that's the really silly number. As if 100,000 bhp is tight either.........

These are truly monumental engines, you can't really comapre them to car engines.

Another interesting car is 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' from the film of the same name. (author Ian Fleming, yes - the James Bond man!)

Despite it's cultured and characterful image I'm led to believe that it was powered with a 23 litre Maybach aero engine.

As such, it probably went very nicely indeed.

christ id hate to see the service bill for one of them i had to walk around the inside of the engine for a couple of hours to make sure everything was ok.
at least you win bragging right on both power and torque ( the merlin engines only produced a max of 1700bhp through supercharging )

steve not that i know off then engines are having lots of problems main one being that there has to be multiple maps for every compression. as well as the bearing that alters the compression has to be strong enough to lock when the bang happens. while still being able to move freely to adjust compression as needed.

It's the five and a half million lbft torque that's the really silly number. As if 100,000 bhp is tight either.........

:amazed: thats enough torque to stop the earth rotating and start it again in the opposite direction

Maybe not quite enough to do that. I like the idea of shoving a couple of computer actuated power levers fowards and unleashing all that rotational force. In a floating vessel that wieghs 80,000lbs.

That's true command of power.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Having now driven one (as of early this week !!! :D:D:D:D:D) and like, being around one quite alot, I have to say its the best sound I've heard.

In my biased opinion.

Wow - I never thought we'd come up with such an eclectic mix of engine. What a bunch of connoisseurs we are.

I heard a Maserati on full chat at the weekend - that was nice.

Anyone heard an F1 car up close? Talk about loud - I had no idea :lol:

Impreza turbo always sounds lovely in the rallying, and sticking on F1 when the safety car (Merc) is out that sounds lovely!

I think it was the V10 - a real scream of an engine howl. I suppose most retired F1 drivers are deaf. I SAID MOST RETIRED F1 DRIVERS ARE DEAF!

8 year thread necro, nice.

My favourite engine sound is the one I hear every morning when I fire up the flat 4 in my JDM classic Impreza :)

8 year thread necro, nice.

My favourite engine sound is the one I hear every morning when I fire up the flat 4 in my JDM classic Impreza :)

Of course you realize that they only sound that way due to an unequal length exhaust manifold system don't you ?

ooohhh i love a good sounding engine. i wish i cud upload the sound of the RS5 exhaust. i will try.

sorry not working. will try and hand it to my kids to make it work. maybe reduce the size of the file

What I meant was that a Smartphone mic isn't really going to work.
Get hold of a PZM microphone, also known as a boundary microphone and try that.

I have already got a sound clip of the recording on my computer. It us nice and clear. Its not uploading

I down loaded audacity for the apple mac which I have. Unable to convert and send. The software has improved the sound recording in my comp but it is still not uploading ? Will try again. Let me know if you have a solution. Tks