What is the best polish after claying ?

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
There are quite a few "best polish" threads on most forums including this one

I have started this one because I have a specific question which I cant find a final answer to .
I will be extremely grateful to hear any suggestions but can people please read the question because it is very specific .

Ok

Ive been asked to show my 32GTR on some pretty high profile stands over the summer. I therefore want to get the paintwork as gleaming as possible.

What do people think is the best polish to apply to my 32GTR AFTER IT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY CLAYED.....and before the final sealant/finisher is applied

Also I assume it will best to do it with a dual action polisher but have no idea of what make to go for so suggestions on that also much appreciated

Please bear in mind

By best I do mean best .Cost isnt an issue with polish (so thoughts from T9 especially welcome :bigsmile:)

The finish is a pearlescent blue/grey with a clear top coat

The car will have been washed properly clayed and is ready to polish

It will be sealed afterwards probably with zanio (not sure which one yet)

I dont want to know how to wash it ,clay it or detail it Just what polish to apply to the paintwork .

Ha - Polish not Wax!

How much does it need to be polished are there many swirls - the G3 is a fave of mine as it breaks down and becomes less abrasive preventing the need for lots of different grades.

The G6 is also worth using and following this with the G10.

I tend to use different grades depending on the areas I'm working on and the paint condition. It does help to know how thick the paint is so the little electronic paint depth gauge is a good buy for serious valeters.

As posted the sealant/glaze I will use will be zanio I am looking for info about polishes

Swirling is minimum

The car been clayed with two grades of clay followed by a liquid clay. (ready to be polished)

For polish, cost isn't really overly applicable as a polish is a polish and they will vary between cut, work time and how the break down etc etc. You always want to wipe down with IPA afterwards to remove all polish residue so it's not like you're paying more for a polish to leave protection on the paint because that's not its purpose. Does that makes sense?

You may get four or five different answers, and all will likely work well. 100% use a DA as it's a good combination of speed and ease of use. I would get yourself some Megs 105 and 205, plus a small range of Hex Logic pads (Finishing, light cut, heavy cut, poss med). With that you'll be able to tackle almost anything.

Try the 205 first on a light pad, and if it does a good and quick enough job of removing the swirls then continue with that as the goal is always to remove the minimum of clearcoat possible. If not then step up to the 105 with a med pad, correct with that then I you're after the very best fnish refine with 205.

IPA wipedown and you're ready for your chosen glaze then sealant or wax. A glaze isn't the same as a sealant or wax and doesn't offer the protection, it's really there to enhance the finish. Poorboys Black Hole Glaze is excellent though if you're looking for one.

Thanks ma exactly the answer I was looking for

Final finish will be zano probaly 8

MAs pretty much covered it there. the megs 105 and 205 dont really break down so you can work them for a good while. the 205 i find leaves a very glossy finish and will deal with minor swirling on a polishing pad then finish off with a finishing or finessing pad.

the IPA will remove the oils left behind by the polishes and allow the sealant better adersion to the paintwork rather than the oils

the zanio z8 is more of a detailer spray. very common to layer it over a couple of coats of z2