What is the best Golf ever made?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you favour the Mk1's over the MK2's. What about the R32 and the even more impressive 2009 R model?

What do you think makes a true "GTi" Golf?

IMO the mk 4 & 5's really lost the handling they should have. Can't wait to try out a new R! They have an impressive tech spec, lighter and more powerful and some clever diff work.

the mk4 is really bad for understeer, found the mk5 golf i had alot better but still not great. 270 in something that should be around 1350kg will shift more like it.

this is an easy 1 for me the mk2 rallye 4wd, abs, supercharged (quite cheaply & easily modified upto 200bhp), and it looked nice!!!
DSC_0063.jpg

200bhp from a rallye? thats not even bothering! lol my mate has one identical to the one in the pic but on BBS RM wheels, stage 5 G werks charger, upgraded pulley, remap, larger injectors, etc etc etc dont even know what power its putting out, id guess about 240bhp and shedloads of torque, very very quick. my mates g60 is almost standard apart from chip and pulley and thats putting out about 195bhp

200bhp from a rallye? thats not even bothering! lol my mate has one identical to the one in the pic but on BBS RM wheels, stage 5 G werks charger, upgraded pulley, remap, larger injectors, etc etc etc dont even know what power its putting out, id guess about 240bhp and shedloads of torque, very very quick. my mates g60 is almost standard apart from chip and pulley and thats putting out about 195bhp

obviously 200bhp isnt the limit:toung: but what i was getting at 200 hp is achieved cheaply;)

mk1's FTW! i have a cabrio at the mo thats nearly ready to be revealed...

next car is a mk1 tintop. but thats after iv 20vT the cabrio. dont see many 300 bhp mk1 cabrio's.... lol

yep, but 99% of the time its into caddys or tintops, not cabrios :blink1:

mk1 golf is my favourite, followed by mk2. mk3 is an overweight underpowered (even the VR6) turd of a car with absolutely no handling ability. iv been in yachts with better turn in and cornering abilities than mk3's! mk4's were just as bad tbh, although with slightly better looks. mk5 got much better and mk6 is an improvement again, but not a patch on the mk1's and 2's.

the originals had it all, good power to weight ratio, great handling and unique, eye catching looks. to me the mk1 golf is still one of the best looking mass produced cars ever.

yep, but 99% of the time its into caddys or tintops, not cabrios :blink1:

mk1 golf is my favourite, followed by mk2. mk3 is an overweight underpowered (even the VR6) turd of a car with absolutely no handling ability. iv been in yachts with better turn in and cornering abilities than mk3's! mk4's were just as bad tbh, although with slightly better looks. mk5 got much better and mk6 is an improvement again, but not a patch on the mk1's and 2's.

the originals had it all, good power to weight ratio, great handling and unique, eye catching looks. to me the mk1 golf is still one of the best looking mass produced cars ever.

i completely agree with everything stated here 100%!!!
but the only reason i didnt choose the mk1 is the mk2 rallye is a much better car than a mk1 gti in everyway imho

It is, but thats because its vastly different to a standard mk2 in almost every way. i was going for a generalisation of the mk's.

but yeah, you cant beat a rallye if we talking standard individual model! i think my mate is about to sell his, im gutted as i dont have the spare cash to buy it!