What is launch control

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Just wondering what launch control is, how it works and what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Can this be retrofitted to a car? Is there any point doing this on a daily driver? Do you need an auto box?

Launch control is what it says. It is a system to control your launch :)

Usually done by controlling the power available to the driven wheels. Simple systems just reduce RPM available and these are easy to fit. Proper systems compare driven and non driven wheel speeeds to detect wheel spin. These are more complicated to fit.

It can be retrofitted. Mind you, anything can be retrofitted :)

No point on a daily driver, unless you play traffic light drag racing.

Gear box is irrelevant .

Also if the motor ia turbocharged there may be an added function available .
It is sometimes referred to as launch control but is more accurately a way of being faster off the line by building up boost.

some ecus can be configured to build up boost in neutral. On mine this can bet set to happen at whatever revs work best.
Clutch pedal down and floor the throttle . As soon as the engine reaches the pre set rpm the ecu stops the engine from revving higher . It then allows the boost to increase so when you pullaway it is on full boost.( stock ecus normally dont allow boost to build when in neutral.
Makes it much quicker off the line for sure

My problem will probably be too much power for available traction, so the launch control will be used to control power so tyre slip is kept to approx 2-3%.

Just wondering what launch control is, how it works and what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Can this be retrofitted to a car? Is there any point doing this on a daily driver? Do you need an auto box?

I personally would NOT waste my time or $$$ installing one! Also I firmly believe the TRACK is always the best and safest place to have a speed contest! Now on to my answer: Best method is practice, practice, practice learning how to drift your clutch properly on a manual or how to power brake an auto to obtain a proper launch( how to NOT break loose the tires) from the line. Many just punch it and try to go! Again - PRACTICE and you will become a Master at the touch needed for a good hook-up with-out breaking out from the line.

Learning how to "play" the clutch isnt always the answer . It depends on the power you have and the tyres you run.

Besides it wont always work - Carbon clutches are for example designed not to slip . The more abuse they get the harder they grip so you cannot "play " them especially with a high power cars

Let's start with this http://www.modernracer.com/tips/dragracinglaunchtechniques.html

All clutches will SLIP- must slip, if they didn't? No one would ever be able to move smoothly forward or backwards. Carbon fiber clutches have less tendency to burn/glaze. But we we are talking about off the line techniques, not clutch engagement pressures. And "YES" tire contact patch(bigger is better) is a contributing factor. But side wall squirm /compression is a bigger contributing factor to hook-up along with proper tire psi(lower is better) and tire pre-heated temps(the burn-out) to insure a lower durometer reading of the tire in question. Drive gear ratio is next in the equation to insure proper hook-up. Etc.-etc.-etc. The bottom line is IF anyone just wants to have fun? Learn to manually drive your ride. Don't depend on electronics to do everything for you. The Launch Control-GIMMICK is just another way to try and take control away from the drivers ability to think and react on their own. Main question is? Ever see Launch Control on a F-1, Nascar or Dragster?

First the reason f1 cars dont have LC is because it has been banned otherwise they wiould all use it.
As for nascars and full blown drag cars they are so far away from the subject of the thread as to be irrelevant as the huge power changes everything.

Of course pressures are most important but again with a road car the tyre choice is limited - 888s or similar being about as good as you can get (in the uk) but they are not practicle on a daily driver . Neither is changing the gear ratios or the pressure as what is good for a launch is useless for handling ( which again in the uk are important)

As for carbon clutches slipping The exedy triple plate that I have is designed not to (according to the manufacturer). It has a very narrow bite but is far lighter than any non carbon clutch so is perfect for me as without it it would be a real pain in traffic. As a carbon clutch gets used/abused they grip better. Obviously they all have a power limit and when they slip they really slip and wear out very quickly. The solution is that if you have 600 bhp and 550 ft lbs buy a triple plate clutch that is rated to 800 etc.

If you really beleive all cars are better without any electronic aids at all then you have not driven a high powered road car with them set up correctly.

As an example my Stagea has awd and a factory computer controls the power split front to back (tc). I have a "gadget" that can adjust the split. Cost £120 and works brilliantly . It also controls how the car reacts to under/oversteer which makes the car far quicker around bends but thats another story. without it the car

I also have a quaife torque diff (similar as an RS diff) and my ecu cntrol can control the boost on launch

Off the line the difference is night and day and in the wet without the "gadgets" the cars is bordering on dangerous - and that isnt fun .

Its called technology and using it increases fun not stops it because not everyone is lewis hamilton .

Besides I can always turn it off.

I guess priorities lie differently if you have car you need to use in stop start traffic and one used exclusively on the track.

I like the idea of turning of electronic aids but in the real world I know I'm just not good enough of a driver and will come to a sticky end if I did that!

I'm enjoying this debate, it's kicking up some interesting points of view and opinions. :D

Reactions: Teo